Hair Algea?

sickboy

I'm having troubles with hair algae, I'm about to try an urchin.
Nebraska Reef, what part of Nebraska are you from?

Two days ago I scrubbed the rocks with an old dishes brush and netted out all the floaters, rinsed out the bio balls, did a 15% water change, and put my old whisper 5 on the front with carbon. Looks much better but still some hair algae.
Tested water yesterday nitrate 10 and phosphate 0. I will post some more pics in a couple of days.

A

arlene1995

Hi!! I am currently in the same boat is you... I got a Blue Tuxedo Urchin. From the moment it touched the water, it has begun devouring the Hair Algae. So far, after 2-3 weeks on some spots of rock, the algae has showed no sign of return. I have only found one downfall to the urchin... It WILL pick ANYTHING small and loose up and stick it on itself for disguise. I had it pick up a Kenya Tree frag and oddest of all it decided to remove my largest Xenia colony off its rock. After a couple hours, the Xenia was removed and the Urchin was happy munching on HA with a big Xenia on it... I would persponally suggest an urchin and that is the first time I have ever heard of a urchin removing a sessile invertabrate for disguise. (After a couple days, I removed it to no harm to the Xenia or Urchin...)
Not to get too off topic, but has anyone heard of the Katamari games?? The goal is to role up the world... The urchin reminds me perfectly of that...

Blue Tuxedo Urchin. I will have to try one.
I have also tried 2 foxface rabbit fish (one at a time), but they both ended up in the mouth of my carpet anemone. They didn't last but maybe a week but were picking at the hair algae(yeah I know I spelled it wrong on the post) anyways the carpet will be going as soon as I find a home for it. My clowns love it but it seems to be the Bermuda Triangle of the tank. Can't seem to keep a tang around either. They seem to be disappearing.

Originally Posted by Arlene1995
http:///forum/post/2911634
Hi!! I am currently in the same boat is you... I got a Blue Tuxedo Urchin. From the moment it touched the water, it has begun devouring the Hair Algae. So far, after 2-3 weeks on some spots of rock, the algae has showed no sign of return. I have only found one downfall to the urchin... It WILL pick ANYTHING small and loose up and stick it on itself for disguise. I had it pick up a Kenya Tree frag and oddest of all it decided to remove my largest Xenia colony off its rock. After a couple hours, the Xenia was removed and the Urchin was happy munching on HA with a big Xenia on it... I would persponally suggest an urchin and that is the first time I have ever heard of a urchin removing a sessile invertabrate for disguise. (After a couple days, I removed it to no harm to the Xenia or Urchin...)
Not to get too off topic, but has anyone heard of the Katamari games?? The goal is to role up the world... The urchin reminds me perfectly of that...
What kind of fish is that in your picture? Scalpin?

Originally Posted by justinwwwallin
http:///forum/post/2911735
im from beaver lake!!! like 30 mins from omaha :)
Nice! I don't know anyone in my town with a saltwater tank. Its been just me and the internet. I just joined the forum a few days ago so all info is welcome. Have you been to The Fish Store in Lincoln?

A

arlene1995

That is a Gulf Toadfish. One of the most hideous fish in existince IMO...

sean48183

I justed started a thread on a sea hare. Going to document if this thing really works. Every critter that has ever been recommended to eat hair algae has been a failure and mostly starved. This guy is supposed to be the end all be all of hair algae munchers so we shall see. So far day 3 and he has done nothing.

todj2002

Originally Posted by sean48183
http:///forum/post/2912297
I justed started a thread on a sea hare. Going to document if this thing really works. Every critter that has ever been recommended to eat hair algae has been a failure and mostly starved. This guy is supposed to be the end all be all of hair algae munchers so we shall see. So far day 3 and he has done nothing.
get one hundred blue leg hermit crabs. u can get them one of the auction sites for bout 45 bones including shipping. they eat algae like crazy.

Originally Posted by Nebraska Reef
http:///forum/post/2911848
Nice! I don't know anyone in my town with a saltwater tank. Its been just me and the internet. I just joined the forum a few days ago so all info is welcome. Have you been to The Fish Store in Lincoln?

haha i know same here. im only 16 so my friends like comin over with a 160 gallon reef in my room. none of them get into it. except one of my friends got into freshwater tanks from coming over. he wants to start fresh and convert down the road to salt. i just jumped right into salt without ever owning fresh.
but no i have not. ill have to do that. i love seeing new stores. have u been to petland? or paradise cove?

threed240

Originally Posted by Nebraska Reef
http:///forum/post/2907381
Yeah I don't think that would work very well in this situation. Whats the downside of bio balls
Does anyone use Sea Gel?
Most tanks will go through this at some point. I had a huge outbreak of hair algea, and I ended up upgrading my protein skimmer. This completely eliminated all of the hair algea. I have a 55g, with a 30g sump & fuge. It may be an expensive upgrade, but you can try looking for deals.

Originally Posted by Threed240
http:///forum/post/2913654
Most tanks will go through this at some point. I had a huge outbreak of hair algea, and I ended up upgrading my protein skimmer. This completely eliminated all of the hair algea. I have a 55g, with a 30g sump & fuge. It may be an expensive upgrade, but you can try looking for deals.
What kind of skimmer are you using? Mine is a Sea Clone 150.

batchelor

threed240, what type of skimmer did you upgrade to? i am currently fighting hair algae too, and am thinking about upgrading from a coralife to a reefoctopus 150 for my 90g.

Scrubbing and scraping. Also added sea gel to the sump.Nice and clean now. The old lady left town with the camera. will post pics later.