Hairy mushrooms

skooby

I have had 3 hairy mushrooms for about 4 months know and they have been doing pretty good.Recently my percula clowns have been fanning and acting as if they were anenamones. Is this normal? I moved the rock with the mushrooms on it and they are leaving it alone, but they look horrible. What can I do to bring them back?

mg1197

Just make sure that they are high up in the tank and that your water p[arameters are ok - that should be all they need. I have never heard of clowns bothering shrooms.

bang guy

My Mushrooms have really thrived with the Clownfish (a pair) living in them. The Clownfish even feed them.

skooby

That looks awsome. I have a 55gal. I just purchased a twin light fixture. I put in it a 40 watt 20000k bulb a 40 watt atinic, and I have 2 15 watt 50/50 bulbs. Do you think this lighting is ok for the hairy mushrooms?

danrw84

my 29gal has 2x65 watt PCS 50/50
right now mine are placed about half way up...maybe slightly lower...should i raise them? they dont really get very big.

bang guy

Originally posted by pyro383
How should they be fed? I use dt's.

Take a thumbnail sized piece of marine meat and place it on the disk and let the Mushroom curl around it and eat it. I use scallops or Silversides.
They don't eat phytoplankton as far as I know.
Guy

blondenaso1

I didn't know you had to directly feed hairy mushrooms. Is that just for the hairy mushrooms or for all mushrooms? My tonga hairy mushrooms have not been doing good lately and I don't know what the cause is either.

bang guy

I do not believe you need to feed hairy mushrooms if you have plenty of light. Mine grow 10X faster and 4X larger when fed. (numbers are approximate ;) )