Halimeda

nyhcx516x

Posted this in the noob area before I noticed this area:
I got some Halimeda yesterday for my 8 Gal Biocube. I took a look at it this morning, and its turned mostly white. Is this normal for overnight?

auroradrvr

No. It has gone sexual. You need to pull it before it releases billions of spores and kills/sufficates everything in your tank.

jaymz

I have halimeda growing well in my tank an it fades to a really light green everynight after the light go out.
I dont think halimeda goes sexual, thats caluerpa.

ci11337

It's safe to have in a tank just don't let it grow all over or it will steal calcium from your corals.

nuro

Originally Posted by NYHCx516x
http:///forum/post/2843767
Posted this in the noob area before I noticed this area:
I got some Halimeda yesterday for my 8 Gal Biocube. I took a look at it this morning, and its turned mostly white. Is this normal for overnight?
totally normal, mine does the same thing. itll green up after the lights are on for a bit. you may want to look into higher lighting depending on what youve got.

bang guy

My comments:
Yes, it is normal for Halimeda to turn light green overnight. Not completely white though. You may want a longer photoperiod.
Yes, it can sporulate (go sexual) just like Caulerpa.
Make sure you maintain an adequate Alkalinity level. Low ALK will kill this algae very fast.

snakeblitz33

I agree with Bang Guy.
Halimeda needs high light, high calcium and high alkalinity levels to survive. Though, it looks cool. To keep high alk and ca levels, just dose limewater. Should do the trick.
You should always research any living thing before you buy it though. Just keep that in mind.

b0b82

Halimeda goes sexual What? don't post if you don't know. I don't dose limewater but I have allot of halimeda growing. I take it out and trash it. I have to agree with SnakeBlitz23. You should always research any living thing before you buy it. If you got some on some rock, then great now learn how to keep it.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2854990
Yes, it certainly does.
most definitely.
its not as usual an occurance as with caulerpa, but you do a little overtrimming to one bunch and you can trigger it. I've seen it happen that way on more than one occasion.

coral keeper

I also have Halimeda. I really like the look of it. Mine turns light green to pure white during the night and colors up to a very nice dark green during the day. Here are a few pictures of mine. Its on the top left where the Metallic Green Torch coral is. As you can see, I made a wall of it so that the Torch corals tentacles don't go out very far. IMO Halimeda is less invasive than chaeto.

b0b82

Wow I did not know that. But that’s why I am here to learn. I have Halimeda
growing everywhere for years. It is a good indication of your calcium and alkalinity levels. I think it looks cool and when I get too much I sell it to the LFS. Mine turns white after I rip it off a rock but in about a week it is green again. So if It has gone sexual then will it look mushy, like Caulerpa? Sorry for a misleading response. I have never herd of or had mine go sexual. Thank you for the correction guys.

bang guy

Originally Posted by b0b82
http:///forum/post/2864751
Wow I did not know that. But that’s why I am here to learn. I have Halimeda
growing everywhere for years. It is a good indication of your calcium and alkalinity levels. I think it looks cool and when I get too much I sell it to the LFS. Mine turns white after I rip it off a rock but in about a week it is green again. So if It has gone sexual then will it look mushy, like Caulerpa? Sorry for a misleading response. I have never herd of or had mine go sexual. Thank you for the correction guys.
It's been a while since I've seen any sporulate so I'm just going by memory. I think it starts out growing tiny hairs on the pads, then begins to fade in color while growing dark green dots on it. Then all at once it turns white and the tank water goes to a pale green. It never gets mushy, the pads simply crumble into flakey sand.

auroradrvr

When ours decided to sporulate, it turned pure white, but it looked as if it had a dusting of green powder. You could see that spores at the surface of the plant getting ready to leave the tissue.

crabbychris

If a plant does sporulate wouldn't a UV sterilizer nuke the spores fairly quickly? How serious is it if it actually happens?