Halliburton Thread

crimzy

Originally Posted by mfp1016
Actually, I didn't mention paying more in taxes. However, if higher taxes were required to support the war, I wouldn't have an issue with that. There are a lot of resources in the middle east, I'd rather have a foot in the door sans tribal God-king control of these resources.

Like I said, really bright idea. Halliburton is charging the US $1.62-$1.70 per gallon of oil while the average wholesale oil price in the persian gulf area is $0.71 per gallon. Quite a benefit we're deriving. I'll tell you one thing... I'd LOVE to do business with you someday... I'd own your home and your car inside a week.

mfp1016

Originally Posted by crimzy
I deleted my post because I didn't feel like getting sucked into this argument. But by the way, I really cannot debate you because your points are not founded in logic. Example: see above where you suggest that I argued that other companies should pay Halliburton. Huh??? The issue of this thread is whether people will condone Halliburton's bribery, misrepresentation and overcharging at the expense of taxpayer dollars. Seems that you want more of it... doesn't seem that bright to me but I'm sure they'd take your money.

You're right, don't get sucked into an argument about an industry you don't know anything about. You're getting facts from the media; the last place for facts!
Also, an aside, Halliburton pays me for consultation, I guess I should say thanks for your tax dollars, it paid for my fish tank....

mfp1016

Like I said, really bright idea. Halliburton is charging the US $1.62-$1.70 per gallon of oil while the average wholesale oil price in the persian gulf area is $0.71 per gallon. Quite a benefit we're deriving. I'll tell you one thing... I'd LOVE to do business with you someday... I'd own your home and your car inside a week.
Ok Gordon Gecko! Also, I will tell you one thing I own them outright good luck, thanks for the tank, house, and car though, they're nice...

seasalt101

halliburton does not charge for oil, they are a production company that makes wells produce more, halliburton works with oil companies, not as an oil company, the oil companies charge whatever the going rate is...tobin

ophiura

I would ask everyone to watch their tone in this thread, which is getting a bit too nasty.
Thanks

mike22cha

Originally Posted by mfp1016
Just wondering, how much do you pay in taxes?
None, yet. But considering we can't pull out of Iraq for a while I'll be paying my share in a couple years. My parent's aren't rich, they work hard for their money. I'm fortunate to learn from them that. I don't like to see my money go to waste, and I'm pretty sure you guys don't either.

mike22cha

Maybe one of the problems with Halliburton is that there is no competition.
They are doing a fine job in Iraq, but they can charge what ever because there is no competing company that can handle that kind of job.

seasalt101

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
Maybe one of the problems with Halliburton is that there is no competition.
They are doing a fine job in Iraq, but they can charge what ever because there is no competing company that can handle that kind of job.

what you are complaining about is that halliburton got a government contract right? do you know how many businesses have government contracts? lots, if you want to be mad at someone i read a story a couple of weeks back about a company that makes bolts, washers, screws etc. the government needed 2 machined screws .19 cents apiece and 2 washers .08 cents apiece, the goverment needed these overnighted for delivery the next day, the company charged $178,000.00 for these 4 items and that company had been doing it for about 5 years till they were caught the owner of the company is only looking at five years, heres how it happened whhenever the gov. needs something high priority it gets overlooked as far as shipping goes they need it and they need it now luckily someone caught that but hundreds of businesses are out to get what they can and take advantage of the system, so that's just something to think about, at least halliburton is providing a valuable service...tobin

ophiura

I would ask everyone, while emotions are high and feelings strong, to understand this is an employer for many of your fellow Americans. Please do not throw the baby out with the bathwater. In Houston, Halliburton has a major impact, and is the livelihood for a big percentage.
Please be respectful of this when tossing around some of these comments. It is OK to have concerns, suspicions and strong emotions, but please control the rhetoric.

rylan1

I was just wondering... Bush just asked for another $150 billion to fund the war. If we weren't in this war right now... where would this money go towards? (I think its $150 billion in the latest request)
I just don't understand about the overcharges... why do we allow this to happen? I simply can't believe it goes unnoticed... either its very reckless spending... the money is going somewhere else... or our gov't is incompetant.(spelling?)

darthtang aw

Govt. is incompetant. This is not the first case of over spending in our nations history and maying Corp. more money than the services are worth. I saw this type of thing throughout the Clinton years in the field I worked in t the time. We would bid on a government job and mark up the cost 4-5 times more than normal and still get the contract.
This is why I am not for Government controlled health care...if a bolt would cost 26,000 dollars I cant imagine wht medicine would cost the government

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
Govt. is incompetant. This is not the first case of over spending in our nations history and maying Corp. more money than the services are worth. I saw this type of thing throughout the Clinton years in the field I worked in t the time. We would bid on a government job and mark up the cost 4-5 times more than normal and still get the contract.
This is why I am not for Government controlled health care...if a bolt would cost 26,000 dollars I cant imagine wht medicine would cost the government
Exactly.
The bigger the agency the more inefficient it becomes.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
One of the reasons why this happens is because of the buy american policy that the govt has, I'm not 100% sure about currently, but about 3 years ago I know that a foreign competition had to beat a domestic bidder by 20% to win a govt contract. So essentially domestic bidders get a 20% mark of on top of what they normally charge for their product or services.
If we are going to hang halliburton, lets start with boeing next?

rylan1

Its just wasteful... I'm sure they probably don't really care... but I bet if we had a better managed system than we could save billions, without making any changes to taxes. I know that its difficult, but if any one can do it, it ought to be us. If I were president, this would be an area I would address..
But in regards to healthcare... its just big buisness... thats the reason why it continues to operate like it does... We do have the best health care, but we do not live the longest per capita.... There are so many curative or preventive options out there, but all we do is medicate- more medicine equals higher prices for things we could handle organically or naturally. I would also address this.