Halloween Hermits

bornagain

Was looking for some info on Halloween Hermit crabs.
I have a 30g and was planning on having 2 of these guys in the tank.
Are they known to kill snails or do anything else unfriendly? What are your experiences with these crabs?
Thanks!

S

saxman

i've kept Hallowe'en hermits, but ANY hermit will eventually get around to snail killing. hermits are opportunistic omnivores, and snails fall right into that category (the "meat" of "meat and taters"), esp. the species that can't right themselves (e.g., Astrea). the thing is, hermits don't necessarily want the snail's shell, they often simply have a taste for snail meat, esp. if the pickings in the tank are slim.
the only hermits i keep these days (if i keep them at all) are the scarlet reef hermits (red w/yellow eye stalks), as they seem to be the most docile and least troublesome.
two hermits is plenty for a 30 gal tank, esp. a new setup.
HTH

speg

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3256095
I never heard of them so I had to look it up. Cool looking.
Some are cooler than others. They attempt to sell halloween hermits as two different hermits. There is also an 'electric blue' species that looks really neat, and they, like the halloween, get large.

bornagain

I assumed that the Halloween and the Electric blue hermits would not attack snails because they would want larger shells.
The way I look at it : If you have 2 larger hermits vs 8 smaller hermits. its much easier to spot feed the larger hermits if needed. Also, less shells to be had.
Some people go without crabs, but I think invertebrates are more fun than fish and hermits are a unique creature.

speg

Originally Posted by BornAgain
http:///forum/post/3256292
I assumed that the Halloween and the Electric blue hermits would not attack snails because they would want larger shells.
The way I look at it : If you have 2 larger hermits vs 8 smaller hermits. its much easier to spot feed the larger hermits if needed. Also, less shells to be had.
Some people go without crabs, but I think invertebrates are more fun than fish and hermits are a unique creature.
Like someone else mentioned, hermits don't only attack snails for their shells.
In my experience, the larger the hermit the more aggressive they'll be, and halloween/electric blue hermits are a larger species than the dwarf blue leg/scarlet/zebra.