HARRY POTTER - the final countdown!!!!

tome

I heard Rowling is starting the 7th in december. My guess is that the book will take 2 years.

ophiura

Ah, its no different than Star Wars or Star Trek people, people who play lots of video games, etc. Lots of passions out there. This one just happens to involve the books more than the movie, which I definitely think is magical
Anyone who can get 10 year olds to read 700 page books...definitely deserves praise :yes:

nw2sltfsh

I second that ophiura - we are not chatting about the New line of shoes by Steve Madden, or talking about a new Video game --- we are sharing thoughts to a book -- and actually 6 books! JK Rowlings has made it possible for people from 7-70 to read her books.
Book 1 - 309 pages
Book 2 - 352 pages
Book 3 - 448 pages
Book 4 - 734 pages
Book 5 - 870 pages
Book 6 - 652 pages
I think anytime people talk about literature - be it modern children lit, classics or other books with "Cult-like" followings (Lord of the Rings or Hitchhkers Guide to the Galaxy) it is a fantastic change in the world of PCs, HDTV and Video Games.

55galgill

lol i thought i was the only one here that read Harry Potter. Well that being said i see a huge drawback with harry potter books. When u start to read them you cant put them down! i read hbp in 24 hours, kept me hooked onto the end, now im stuck waiting to see what happens for the next 2 years lol NOT FAIR ! :joy: well now i got my own theory...and i may be the only one but i think dumbledore is still alive...i know...i know we saw him killed and his portrait hangs in the tower.i think that when harry turned his back dumbledore cast another spell or something,or maybe it was a puppet head master. But how many times has J.K swung the story around and blindsided us with a twist? i think that some how it was a hoax, and he will make an appearance in the next book. the unbreakable vow that snape made to malfoy's mother was to protect him from danger(he was in no danger when facing dumbledore,at that moment). i also think that snape is a character put there just for us to hate him, and distract us while something else takes form. it just seemed to easy the way that dumbledore perished i would think that J.K would send him off in a great battle like in the last book at the ministry of majic. but just my opinion :thinking:

snailheave

Originally Posted by 55GalGill
i may be the only one but i think dumbledore is still alive...i know...i know we saw him killed and his portrait hangs in the tower.
omg spoiler!
you should be banished!

ophiura

I think its possible about Dumbledore BUT Rowling has always been clear that someone dies, it is a main character, and that this is not a pretty war. Its going to get ugly because its evil. I think it might be counter her style to have someone die and just come back some how. I think she intends it to prove just how serious it all is. That it is not just this great wizard against Voldemort...that it has to be others. JMO tho. I want Dumbledore back. He was one of my favorite characters. And I was pretty stunned. But then there is this reference again to "never truly leaving until no one is left who believes in me" or whatever that line is. I suppose it could just be Harry's way of not feeling alone.

annanymous

well...here are my guesses [and some are backed up by JK Rowling herself...lol]
RAB most probably stands for regulus black b/c harry, ron and hermione found a big locket at 12 grimauld place but couldn't open it [book5], he is dead, he was kinda close to voldie, he was sirius's brother [maybe he came to the other side too, but in secrecy]
dumbledore will be back in some form or other to tell Harry the story of how he got the Slytherin's ring [remember he kept telling harry that the story needed lots of time to properly feel it through]. the reason for that is he owned a phoenix, he knew a lot about phoenixes, and he is the only one voldermort was ever scared of [meaning that Rowling will find a nice and clean way for dumbledore to return to life] maybe even in that portrait in the headmasters room. she did not say how long it takes for dead people to start talking in their pictures, but we heard about dumledore's picture already being there and him stirring in it]
as for mrs. dursley >>>"there is more to her then meets the eye" said by rowling herself.
oh and the school will reopen, though i have no idea whter harry will return to it. rowling said she needs to find a new defense against the dark arts teacher for the upcoming ye
hope this wasnt too many spoilers in one post, sorry guys i hope i didnt forget anything

ericp2311

RAB is DEFINATELY Regulus Black (well, I'm guessing, anyway)
Check out JKs website for a link to two fansites, the Harry Potter Lexicon and Mugglenet. The operators of those sites were selected by JK to interview her after reading HBP. Remember the mirror that Sirius gave to Harry at the end of OOP? Maybe Regulus has another one!!
Also, she said in the interview that there will be no more Quidditch matches
Eric

scotts

OK I just fnished the book and Gotta say that I was absolutely shocked about Dumbledore. One of the reasons that I liked him was his quirkiness (sp). "Before we begin our Banquet, I would like to say a few words. And here they are; Nitwit, Blubber, Oddment, Tweak. Thank you" Then his having them sing the school song to whatever melody they chose. However I can see where JK is going with having Harry go at it on his own for the final push without his mentor.
Of course the obvious is to have Snape actually be a good guy in the end. Dumbledore kept slumping down and was weak so Snape killed him to make sure he did not get captured and taken to Voldermort. Also so that Snape appears to be a bad guy and is really passing along knowledge of Voldermort to the good guys. This would also prove Dumbledore right in his trust of Snape when no one else trusted him.
Don't forget that Dumbledore is still in the picture in the office. Now how is Harry going to get there to talk to him?
Scott

ericp2311

So, whaddya think...could Harry Potter (or his scar) possibly be a horcrux?
Could that be why Voldemorts spell rebounded?
Just a thought...
Eric

dmitry

Hmm.... I never thought about Harry's scar being a Horcrux. But that would mean that Harry would have to kill himself to destroy it. And now that I think about it I don't think his scar could be a Horcrux. Dumbledore tells Harry that Voldemort was planning to make the last Horcrux at the moment he killed him - Harry - but his plans backfired. (Pun intended.) A Horcrux can only be created at the moment of killing and since Voldemort failed to kill Harry he couldn't have created it!
I think there's little doubt that RAB is Regulus Black. Remember that Sirius told Harry that Regulus tried to leave Death Eaters and was killed because you just can't do that. What none of them realized is that he was actually very successful at leaving!!
Snape has been the most complex and fascinating character in the entire series. He is a man of many contradictions. Noble, but petty and cruel. I think he was acting on Dumbledore's orders when he killed him. Remember the fight Hagrid overheard between Snape and Dumbledore? It may have been the moment Dumbledore revealed his plans to him. And as Harry was chasing Snape at the end with the intention of killing him Snape kept basically teaching Harry! He kept giving him pointers and instructions on occlumency, silent spells, etc. And the idea that Voldemort wanted to kill Harry on his own - when he allowed someone else to kill Dumbledore - isn't entirely convincing. Considering how much damage Harry has caused Voldemort I'm sure he'd want him out of the way any way possible.
As far as why Snape had to kill Dumbledore - because of the Unbreakable Vow and because Malfoy couldn't. A nice twist that this nasty little git Malfoy turns out to have something resembling a soul and simply can not kill! The Vow stated that not only would Snape protect Draco, but also do what he may not be able to. So, to fulfill the vow Snape had to kill Dumbledore. And Dumbledore didn't show any concern over the Vow and Malfoy's plans, of which he was aware. I think he was pulling an Obi-Wan on Harry and I doubt he will return in physical form in the next book. I'm sure his portrait will have something to contribute, however.
I suspect Slughorn might teach Defense Against the Dark Arts next year.
One thing I didn't like in the book is the coupling of Ron with Hermione and Harry with Ginny. I just don't like them as couples... I want to see Hermione with Viktor (who will hopefully return in the next book)!
:thinking:

ophiura

I thank you all for these comments. I was more than half way through my second reading of the book but handed it off to my Mom for now. Hopefully I will have it back soon...very soon.

ntrigger

don't pay attention to this reply my 4 year old wanted to see all these animations at work.
sorry :scared: :scared: '
:mad:

reefer man

Im to stupid do understand a confusing book like that. I barely read books and when i do they are nonfiction. I read magazines, snowboarder and playboy.

R

rei511

spoiler warning!!!!!!!!!
throughout this book she (JKR) has stressed the importance of speechless incantations...Snape himslef told Harry "...keep your mouth shut and your mind closed." (603) There's one MAJOR problem with the way Dumbledore (DD) was killed.....when the avada kedavra is used the victim just drops dead, right there. when Snape uses it Dumbledore is suspended in the air and flys backwards over the battlements. JK would be VERY exact when writing this! How do we know Snape didn't do some other spell and just say the words.

As for Snape being a bad guy, JK used very similar words for two scenes.. when harry makes DD drink the potion it says " Hating himself, repulsed by what he was doing, Harry forced the goblet....(571) then when Snape "kills" DD " Snape gazed for a moment at DD, and there was revulsion and hatred etched in the harsh lines of his face." (593) how do we know Snape felt that way for DD and not about what he was actually doing? I think DD was pleding for Snape to fulfill whatever they planned earlier or to keep Draco "innocent" by not letting him kill.

Also in book 1 Snape asks Harry about 3 different potions/items (in Harry's first potions class) and two of them have already been seen in other books. the last one is the draught of living death. maybe when Hagrid is bringing the body of DD to the burial site he is under that spell. (OMG I just had a major ephany!!!) maybe that's why the picture of DD in the office is sleeping! and as for the white flames at the funeral, witches/wizards can walk through flames with floo powder and in a history class we learned that a witch like to be burned at the stake because it tickled, how do we know that the flames are harmmful? hummmm.....

JKR is so clever in her writing you never know...
well, it's late and i have too many more theories to list...so i'll end here for now

ophiura

Originally Posted by rei511
spoiler warning!!!!!!!!!

HOLY COW YOU"RE GOOD!!!!

Yup, now I'm gonna have to read the WHOLE SERIES once again.....

darth tang

Ok, finally got and read the last book.
I like everyone's theories. Some hold some water, but one thing stuck out to me. When Snape and Malfoy were running from Potter with the death eaters snape only countered ever spell of Potter's. When the death eater went to attack Harry Snape said no, he is for Voldemort only. Yet it strikes me as odd that Snape would just counter harry's spells and tell him (teaching to the end) he needs to shut his mind. At any point Snape could have incapacitated Harry and just ran off, but he didn't. He let him continue trying to stop him.