Has anyone ever built their own tank? Cost?

melbournefl

LOL Java, that's the silliest tank I've ever seen, next to mine of course :D How'd the glass install go? Done yet?
Later, Paul

shadow678

That is a really nice-looking tank, java. I'd like to see pics of the stand if you can do it without too much trouble. Also, are you planning on putting a canopy on it? Good luck with it. Give us some pics when you get it set up!

javatech

thanks it's a lot of work i saved a bit on the cost but i did it just to see if i could the next one will be 8' X 4' X 3' 700gal
i have not put a stand togther yet the tank is in the work shop for now im moving in a year so i will build it then and the canopy will be coming up next:D

melbournefl

Congrats Java :) Looks great! Did you use the little rubber stick on bumpers to hold the glass of the wood a bit as you mentioned earlier? I'm still working on my stand and plumbing before I put the glass in. I've changed my whole plumbing idea in the last few days and am still in the design stage. Hopefully I'll have some pics up today or tomorrow
Later,
Paul

thered

That is a size I am considering. I was going to make mine 8x4x4 (958g) because it will be made to separate rooms(as a wall), but I wasn't too sure how to clean it. Also wondered how the depth would affect lighting.

Red, if I was to build this size tank in beween 2 rooms as a wall unit to be seen from both sides, I would have it heavily reinforced.
As for cleaning, you can install hinged doors above the tank to access your lighting and for cleaning.
As for lights, I would go with some high wattage MH, and be sure to insulate above the lighting to prevent fire, and some good ventilation by exhaust fan(s). It will have to be some heavy duty glass, also. It has been my experience that the thicker the glass, the more expensive. By this I mean - just for my small tank that I am building, the 3/8" glass was well over twice as expensive as 1/4". You may consider tempered glass, safety glass, or acrylic.
Although acrylic is stronger than glass compared to it's thickness, I just feel that acrylic is too easily scratched. I just personally feel better about glass.

javatech

Originally posted by MelbourneFL
Java, what's the box looking thing on the left hand tank wall? Overflow?

it's a computer screen it's set up on my old computer work bench
Congrats Java :) Looks great! Did you use the little rubber stick on bumpers to hold the glass of the wood a bit as you mentioned earlier? I'm still working on my stand and plumbing before I put the glass in. I've changed my whole plumbing idea in the last few days and am still in the design stage. Hopefully I'll have some pics up today or tomorrow
thanks
yes i used the bumpers and they worked great

melbournefl

LOL Jave, no not the computer screen, inside the tank in pic titled NO LEAKS!!! wt41111.jpg ... thanks for the hint on the bumpers, that's the way I'll try it too then :)
Later, Paul

tcoco

Melbourne (sorry this is off this subject) Im in the same area you are located in and I was woundering if you know where the good LFS are? Thanks for any info.
And RED go and have fun I built my filtration system, stand, and canopy and like some of these guys say you'll feel good and very proud to have something like that in your house and to say "Thats My work" especially if it holds together J/k as long as you take your time and think before you leap it will turn out great like to see pics when its done good luck

bang guy

Javatech - GREAT looking tank! I love it. I think it even looks better than all glass tanks. It's like a porthole into a reef. Stunning! I hope you post pics next year when it contains thriving coral :)
Red - I have a 8' X 8' X 2' I built from plywood. All the viewing is from the top but I'm really starting to enjoys it a LOT! It's been online two months now and it's finally beginning to look like a lagoon.
Guy

javatech

Originally posted by MelbourneFL
LOL Jave, no not the computer screen, inside the tank in pic titled NO LEAKS!!! wt41111.jpg ... thanks for the hint on the bumpers, that's the way I'll try it too then :)
Later, Paul

oooooh
thats just a powerhead

thered

Steamboat, What do you mean by reinforced? The cleaning problem I was talking about was the bottom two feet of the tank. Know what I mean? Yes, the thickness to price thing concerns me. I've got prices on both thickness( 3/8 and 1/2) and yes it is alot more.

I mean that your floor will have to support well over 10,000 lbs. when it is all said and done. That's 5 tons in a very small area.
you did say 8x4x4 958 gallons, right?
The water weight alone is 8148 lbs

You probably put cement basement in one of your posts, and I just missed it. It is such a long thread, I did not go back and read it all.