has this ever happened...

wade163

Ok…last night, I was doing some work inside my tank. As I kept up my work, I realized I had to keep fighting off my clown fish to move out the way. Then finally they actually came up and hit me/ nipped at me. I was like stunned like OMG…no they didn’t. It caught me off guard at first, but then I was like man that was sweet. This happened more than once. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before???? or where they just CLOWNING around...lol

meowzer

LOL...never had a clown fish do that, but I can not put my hand in the tank w/o my 3 spot black damsels coming at me...scared me at first....actually still does...LOL

defcon11

yeah, my oscelaris clown used to do that to me. It's kind of like when my cleaner shrimp decides that it wants to crawl all over my hand and look for food in my cuticles
. (I'm a chef by the way, so sometimes the shrimp finds what I couldn't scrub off.). I call it "organisms recognizing each other's existence."

t316

Yes, I thought it was "cute" at first too, until one took a small piece of meat off the side of my hand leaving a blood trickle. This is not "clowning around" behavior. This is a territorial behavior from the clown fish. They are serious. They will bump you a few times at first, but believe me, they have teeth and will use them. I was actually getting a little too close to her anemone, which she was protecting, but they can be territorial over anything.

wade163

SHUT UP...they have teeth!!! I didnt know that...but, I have a fightin conch in there that is empty, and this is where they stay. I was NO where near them. I was messin with the rock work, and messin with the blood shrimp...

t316

Originally Posted by wade163
http:///forum/post/2957232
SHUT UP...they have teeth!!! I didnt know that...but, I have a fightin conch in there that is empty, and this is where they stay. I was NO where near them. I was messin with the rock work, and messin with the blood shrimp...
Messin with the rock work is what aggitated the clown.
Originally Posted by crypt keeper

http:///forum/post/2957236
wait till it gets bigger, It will hurt way more.
+1...I can attest to this.

wade163

i mean...i would be upset too if someone was messin up my crib....but EVERY other fish went running...and these culo clowns must have been like "I AINT GOING NO WHERE!!!

crypt keeper

Clowns are damsels. They are very aggressive and very very territorial. They get used to us. They eventually realize you wont hurt them so they will bite the hell out of you and laugh in your face.

dbestnindy

My clowns always come after me when I put my hands in the tank. One nipped me a while back and of course, it scared me. I jerked my hand out and then went back to cleaning. I looked down and there he was on the floor. I guess he latched on to my ring. So glad I saw him and didn't step on him or leave him laying on the floor. I always look now just to be sure. I really don't know why is scares the crap out of me. I know it is going to happen.

carrieabn

My maroon comes and nips at me because she is hungry, she started it at feeding time when I was trying to get something that was floating at the top of the tank.
My tang hates for me have my hand/arm in the tank and will come get me with his tail everytime. I have one of the kids stand with me and tell me where he's at and if he is coming toward me.

evilmantis

I had a clown once that attacked me every time I put my hand in the tank. It wasn't bumping, either, it was full-on biting. It got to the point where all cleaning was done with a net or something in the other hand to chase off the evil clown.
"Can't sleep, clowns will eat me..."

cedarreef

Whenever I get close to the tank in a standing position, my clown always swims to the top of the tank thinking it's going to get food. I let him nip at my finger because I think it's cute... but apparently they can be feisty little buggers lol.