Have some crabs that need ID

wartooth1

Hello, I got 3 neat looking crabs from the LFS. I know much about them other than what the people at the shop told me (which is they don't get much bigger than their current size, they're not aggressive, and they're reef safe). They're maybe a little bigger than your decent sized Emerald Crab, bright orange, and have long eye stalks. They look a lot like fiddler crabs but without the one over-sized claw.
This LFS has sold fiddler crabs before but they've told me that these crabs are not fiddlers. After observing them in the tank, out of the 3 I got, 2 went into hiding and 1 was brave enough to explore.
At this point I'm not worried that they'll do more harm than good, but I would like to know what exactly they are so I can give them the best care I can.
Thanks!
P.S. My phone's dead atm so when the battery is charged enough for the camera to operate I'll upload a pic.

wartooth1

They have little claws very similar to hermit crab claws. So far I've only observed them either hiding withing the rocks or digging around a bit in the substrate. So far its been rare to actually see them out in the open.

bang guy

The only species of Crab I know of that fit your descriptions other than Fiddler Crabs are the Trapezia sp. and Tetralia sp.
They are commonly called Commensal Crabs or Coral Crabs.

wartooth1

Phone's finally working and one of the crabs decided to come out of hiding long enough to take a shot.

I'm beginning to suspect the other 2 are dead since the moment they were put into the tank they went into a hiding spot and I've yet to see them leave there... one is even starting to get buried under the sand... but this one I see walking around every now and then.

wartooth1

Even though the LFS told me they are not Fiddler Crabs, I'm beginning to suspect that they are indeed female Fiddlers... they just look too much like Fiddlers and some quick google-fu tells me that the females don't have the over-sized claw.

mr. limpid

they are fiddler crabs, survival rate low. They need to be able to come out of the water, plus a lot more that e don't know that why they don't survive.

wartooth1

Yeah that is what I'm suspecting... jeez I hate it when the LFS straight up lie to you. This was the exact conversation:
"These crabs are neat. They look like Fiddler Crabs. Are they?"
"No they are not Fiddlers. They have the same care requirements as Emerald Crabs, so if you already have Emeralds there is nothing else you'll need to do for these crabs."
"Awesome, in that case I'll take 3."
F-ing fail.
I guess this LFS is going on my list of "dishonest fish shops," or DFS's.

mr. limpid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartooth1 http:///t/392769/have-some-crabs-that-need-id#post_3490258
Yeah that is what I'm suspecting... jeez I hate it when the LFS straight up lie to you. This was the exact conversation:
"These crabs are neat. They look like Fiddler Crabs. Are they?"
"No they are not Fiddlers. They have the same care requirements as Emerald Crabs, so if you already have Emeralds there is nothing else you'll need to do for these crabs."
"Awesome, in that case I'll take 3."
F-ing fail.
I guess this LFS is going on my list of "dishonest fish shops," or DFS's.
Buyer beware, best defense is to research B4 you buy. After saying that, I have done the same thing you did to many times. That's why I make myself B4 entering my LFS say those words, funny but it works. Be thankful it was only 3 crabs.