have you been injured by your livestock?

clarkiiclo

My hubby was cleaning a rock that our haitain anemone is on. The Clarkii clown that hosts with him got really upset and nipped him a couple of times.
He didnt draw blood but he said it was quite a hit for such a little guy.

backstab

I've got a porqu puffer that bites HARD. I still hand feed tho... I just made bigger chunks of food to keep my fingers out of the way. He'll also let's me pet him,.... kinda like a dog really.:D

J

jackie dh

I haven't been personaly hurt, but I met a lady that got stung by her lionfish. A BIG one! It put her in the hospital and she still had serious visable damage to her arm months later. I was scared to death of getting stung by one after than!:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

dacia

the other day i was cementing my frogspawn into my live rock and i was "attacked" by my cleaner shrimp.
Every time I put my hands in the reef to do anything, my cleaner jumps on me!!! I don't know what he's trying to do, but it kind of tickles. I just wiggle my arm to get him off.

msrain

I talked to a guy at the pet store who said his Foxface sliced his arm with his fin. He said it hurt pretty bad and the cut was long. He said it makes him paranoid to do anything with the tank sometimes. I haven't ran into trouble yet with any of my freshwater but my mollies love getting petted. Sweet hearts:happy:

drummerbum

Originally posted by Dacia
Every time I put my hands in the reef to do anything, my cleaner jumps on me!!! I don't know what he's trying to do, but it kind of tickles. I just wiggle my arm to get him off.

I just let mine do his thing unless he could potentially get hurt but he hops off just before the surface

tome

I have never been burt by my fish but i hear groupers, when they are grown and have a big bite

zelfin

I have a Koran Angel midway through his color change that will swim right next to the glass until I reach in and pet him. Then he will go behind my LR and hide.

velocity1

I have 3 12 inch oscars and they let me pet them all the time. They look fierce as hell tho, its funny because when i have a friend over i stick one finger in and let her bite me (it doesnt hurt but it looks like it would) and it always amazes them for some reason.

dacia

My mom fed my fish today, and was bit by a damsel. :hilarious
That fish has never done anything like that to me.

d12monkey

I've been bit in my big tank that I jump in twice a week. I call it the ocean.
A while back had a 3 1/2 in nurse shark that was caught in a lobster trap.
One more day and it would have been fish food. Well I was removing the shark by grabbing the tail and removing it from the the trap it was lodged in. Just when I went to grab behind the head and get the final bit of him out of the trap some of my students bumped into me and the shrak swung around and bit my thigh. :D Everyone was pulling out their knives to kill it. And I signaled them not to do anything. I pryed that shark off and let him swim away. :D Thank god for wetsuits, even though it was a .5 mm thick suit.
Big hickey on my thigh for 2 weeks was the aftermath of the encounter. Was about the size of an open palm.

turbotsi

nothing yet... although I just recently got a lion and am looking to get a FW stingray...
I do although pet my 16" irr sharks.. they like it
Dave

lion_crazz

Wow, I beat all of you. :D
I have been stung by two lions (dwarf and volitan), plus I have been badly stung by a fire coral. That fire coral hurt! I have never been stung by my own lion yet, though. I also have a stars and stripes puffer at work that I kinda nursed back to health. He arrived to us with only one eye and would not eat. Well, I trained him to eat, and now anytime I put my hand in the tank to clean it, he comes over to bite me

d12monkey

Originally posted by D12monkey
3 1/2 in nurse shark that was caught in a lobster trap.

typo
meant 3 1/2 ft nurse shark.

d12monkey

:rolleyes: LOL I should prob proof my stuff....
Kinda hard when the boss is walking in though.
Bad monkey no playing at work

lion_crazz

wow.. 3.5 foot shark is a lot more like it. I was about to ask how that small of a shark made that much of a mark, lol.

d12monkey

Originally posted by reefeel
I'v read that anemones are dangerous? Is this true I touch mine all the time and nothing happens?

You are correct... But the main thing to consider is that the nemtocyst (stinging cells) on the anemone is a protien based neurotoxin and some people can and will be affected differently. Similar to a bee sting, a persons body may have an adverse reaction to the toxin leading to anaphylactic shock and even death. So you may not be allergic to an anemone but some else may be and that's the reason anemone is considered dangerous.
Anyone please correct me if my information is not accurate.