Have you ever seen one like this?

fishyfun2

I recently saw this sump online. Apparently by incorporating eggcrate, they are using the fuge chamber to add volume to the return section. By having the glass at the bottom, it keeps the sand in and the egg crate is supposed to hold in the snails and macroalgae.
Any thoughts on this type of layout? I was considering doing mine that way. Here is a pic.

salt210

seems like it would work, but there wouldnt be much room in case of a power outage or if you are cleaning the pumps

It would work fine but +1 on making sure there is plenty of left over space in there in case of a power outage. When I set up my sump I cut all power to the return pump to make sure that it could hold all the excess water from my overflow.

fishyfun2

Good morning, and thanks for the replies!

I was pondering this setup last night when I should've been sleeping
and I thought of a few drawbacks to the fuge sharing the same compartment as the return.
If I were unable to top off everyday, as the return/fuge evaporated, the plunge the water took coming over top of the last bubble baffle would be increased, and therefore stir up a lot of sand. Also, if I had pods in there, would they just be constantly going over into the return, or does that happen anyway? Do you think the eggcrate would be enough to hold Chaeto inside the fuge chamber?
Ok, time to make a decision because I think I'm ordering glass cut today. Bottom line, is it possible to have a small fuge in a 20 gal standard?

meowzer

Yes it's possible..you just do not have a LOT of space....the eggcrate will keep the chaeto in fuge....but snails can get thru...If you are concerned about not being able to top off daily...you might want to look into an auto top off system..

fishyfun2

Thanks Meowzer for the advice. Since you think it's possible, do you think I should set it up as shown here, or the other way where the fuge and return are fully separated? Either way, it looks like I will be considering an auto top-off system in the future.

meowzer

The way it is in the pic looks ok to me....I'm no sump/fuge expert though....BUT as said before...make sure your levels in the sump can accommodate water from the dt if your pump stops....

meowzer

Originally Posted by FishyFun2
http:///forum/post/3018103
lol, as my husband likes to put it "all fish tanks, all the time." I'm not sure he likes my new found hobby

LOL..I'm not sure mine does either...especially since my 225g is 30" deep and I can't reach anything...so I am always calling him to do it..

fishyfun2

Mine has been recruited to plumb my new sump. That's his latest job at least

I'm sure he thinks I'm crazy. "Now why
do we need another fish tank below our fish tank?????!!!"

salt210

I wish my wife were like you 2. she likes it but isnt happy about all of the time I spend cleaning and what not and she doesnt even know the true amount of money that has been spent on it.