Have You Put One of Your Babies Up For Adoption?

fishlawyer

Hey All
Thought it might be interesting to see whether you guys have ever given a fish away that got either too aggressive or too big for your tank(s). I have only been at this hobby for about 18 months, but I have already had to do it a few times.
Had to do it with a S+S Puffer and a Coral Banded Cat Shark. (Recently saw the shark and he is friggin huge now!)
Here is a pic of the shark. Fed him with an eye droper for over a month!

aquaknight

Snowflake Eel
Yellow Tang
Hawkfish
Choc Chip Starfish
Goldbar Wrasse
The first two were in the 90's, then we were just people who kept fish, not aquarists. The Hawkfish was just too aggressive to newcomers, and the Goldbar and my Blueface had issues.
However now with 6-7 tanks running, it's a different time for me and I can sort of 'juggle' a fish around and they work out.
IMHO, adoption rather then trying to sell the fish is definitely the way to go, at least for larger, more aggressive fish. With the Hawk and Goldbar I was able to pick the best home for them, instead of being forced to sell to the first person to meet my price.
About the shark, I was also lucky enough to raise one, though I went in knowing it would be temporary. I got to hatch and raise/train a Banded for a LFS for a customer. One of the most rewarding things I've done so far in this hobby.

meowzer

Just brought my Cortez Stingray to the OK. Aquarium
Gave away a raccoon butterfly
now have 2 LOVELY 3 spot black damsels if anyone is interested :)

fishlawyer

As for the Shark, I couldn't agree more. I knew I couldn't keep him and he was probably more work than all my other fish combined, but it was definitly worty it. We are currently building a new home and I plan on putting a 300-400 gallon in the basement. It will be a couple years before I am ready, but I can't wait to raise another.
There is something very interesting about those sharks when they are young. They slowly warm up to you and it is a rewarding experience. Plus, they grow faster than any other fish I have seen!

fishlawyer

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3241264
Saw those on your other post. If I wasn't so far away, they would be great for my new 54 Gallon... Too bad they are such terrors.

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3241264
Not to highjack the thread but did you actually catch them yet?
I had to give away 2 o clowns before in order to make room for a new pair of b&w darwins I was buying. It was kind of sad but I had a ton of people respond and I could pick and choose who would get it based on who I thought could give them the best care.