Having trouble eating

1911_guy

What's the deal? I have one blue green chromis (plan to add more) that is soooo picky with food. Here's what I feed, switching it up:
Ocean Nutrition Formula One Marine Pellet
Wardley Total Color Marine Flake Blend
MarineLand Bio-Blend Marine Herbivore Pellet
Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flake (purple)
San Francisco Bay Frozen Brine shrimp
San Francisco Bay Frozen Mysis shrimp
The chromis swims around frantically chasing the food but doesn't eat it, swimming from piece to piece then not eating. The only food I've seen it eat is one color of the Wardley flake food. I bought some Nori today thinking maybe he wanted algae or veggies and none of my fish will touch it.
Other livestock...
Lawnmower blenny (eats flake and pellet, he's a fatty)
2 Maroon Clownfish
3 hermits
3 astrea snails
Any suggestions??? Thanks

1911_guy

Originally Posted by Dogstar
If its new then just give it time, all my BG Chromis are little pigs.
We've had it for about 6 weeks. It used to eat pretty decent. This picky thing started about 2 weeks ago.

saltyreef7

I have three green chormis and they do not do well by themselves because they are schooling fish...they need at least two better is three or four. if alone it most likely will die off..... if you only have one buy two more and see what happens..... Good luck my friend!!!

unleashed

welll to be honest by looking at your food list:Ocean Nutrition Formula One Marine Pellet
Wardley Total Color Marine Flake Blend
MarineLand Bio-Blend Marine Herbivore Pellet
Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef Flake (purple)
San Francisco Bay Frozen Brine shrimp
San Francisco Bay Frozen Mysis shrimp
its not much all of the brands of foods you using but possibly the forms they are in.other than the brine btw which has little to no nutritional value to fish and is realy a waste of money althouhg not costing much(still paying to much for what value you are are getting IMO
I would suggest switching to the frozen farietys of foods for your fish IMo they are getting to many dried formulas and not enough fresh(frozen which can tend to be a bit more nutritous than some dried forms)
personaly I prefer spectrum pellets by new life they tend to be much more balenced for all fish species(they have very small pellets for small mouths) . your tank tends to cater more for the herbivore /omnivore species i would give a bit of variety for both ocean nutrition makes a wide variety of frozen prepared foods they may be a bit more natural for your fish to make him want to eat them.

unleashed

Originally Posted by saltyreef7
I have three green chormis and they do not do well by themselves because they are schooling fish...they need at least two better is three or four. if alone it most likely will die off..... if you only have one buy two more and see what happens..... Good luck my friend!!!
I baught 6 more when my other 2 were eaten by my lion was left with one .the new 6 were eaten in less than 24 hrs but the oldest remaining does just fine alone, most schooling fish do best in odd numbers even numbers tend to lead to aggressiion

1911_guy

SALTYREEF7 if you only have one buy two more and see what happens..... Good luck my friend!!!

UNLEASHED most schooling fish do best in odd numbers even numbers tend to lead to aggressiion
Thanks, originally I bought 5 and only 1 made it...they were all in my QT and I think they had HLLE. I'm sorry to say but I think I may have starved them to death accidentally.
RIP
There are only 2 pet stores in my area, ***** had about 6 but there were 2 dead damsels in there with them. :scared: LFS had 4 large ones but all looked unhealthy, no color at all and at $15 each I didn't want to risk it.
UNLEASHED its not much all of the brands of foods you using but possibly the forms they are in.other than the brine btw which has little to no nutritional value to fish and is realy a waste of money althouhg not costing much(still paying to much for what value you are are getting IMO
I have heard this by several members now, about the low nutritional value of brine shrimp. I will continue to feed this until it is gone as to not waste it. LFS offers NO frozen foods. I'm in a pinch with livestock and frozen foods living in Alaska. The LFS here absolutely sucks. I tried to buy a refractometer there and the owner had no idea what one was. There used to be another LFS here but they closed down a few months ago.
Anyway, I made my own frozen recipe out of squash, garlic and squidd but they won't touch it and it clogs up my filters. I chopped it up as fine as the mini chopper would allow. How about mysis shrimp, any nutritional value there?
Thanks, I'll keep a look out for some healthy chromis.

unleashed

well the nice thing about this forum is that no only do you get alot of good information i also gives you the opritunity to order direct you can purchase most of the good foods you need for your fish and supplies right off the internet.most sold right here on SWF.com delivered right to you for less cost than LFS

1911_guy

you can purchase most of the good foods you need for your fish and supplies right off the internet.most sold right here on SWF.com delivered right to you for less cost than LFS
This is not always the case living in Alaska...read the fine print next time you order.
Alaska and Hawaii incur extra heavy shipping costs and 9/10 times most companys will not ship live animals or frozen foods to Alaska. Dry goods...I can order a $5 sticker from a certain pet product company and they will charge $25 for shipping. Another company is great and has shipped most of my orders for free but no live stuff. If I did convince them to ship I'm sure I would be paying $50 to ship $20 worth of chromis.
I wish I could combine orders with other people here in Alaska to cut down on shipping but I haven't found very many hobbyists up here.
I will continue to look for healthy chromis locally.