Hawaiian black triggerfish

topfish

Hawaiian black triggerfish are cool fish. These triggerfish grow up to 10 in. I would have to say that a hawaiian black triggerfish should get at least a 125 gallon tank. Some may say a 90 gallon tank, but I feel that is to small for a 10 in. triggerfish. The hawaiian black triggerfish loves meaty foods like all the rest of triggerfish. The enjoy krill, mysis, little fish, shrimp, squid clams, and A LOT of other meaty foods. They also eat flake to. These are one of the nicer triggerfish, but like all the rest they are aggressive.

S

swguy

Thanks topfish for the replies. I am thinking about getting a 100 gallon tank. What triggerfish would do well in this tank?

topfish

Your welcome swguy, these triggerfish I list are good for 100 gallon tanks.
Pink tail triggerfish need at least an 80 gallon tank to thrive in. These triggers are pretty nice, but can get aggressive.Like all triggers, they LOVE meaty foods, like what I stated above, they like those foods to.
Blue jaw triggerfish. I think these are excellent choices for the home aquarium, and are extremely peaceful (for a triggerfish) bu may become mean. These fish grow up to 9 in. and need at least a 80 gallon tank to survive. The males are BEAUTIFUL fish, they are light blue with a dark blue jaw, but are a bi pricey, around 80 bucks. Females are a dark color, with a dark blue jaw, and are cheaper, around 30 bucks. Both of these fish have the same amount of hardiness, and both adapt to captivity the same. These fish like meaty foods like what I stated above.
Huma huma triggerfish grow to around 10 in. They like meaty foods like the other triggers. These fish are usualy peaceful, but can become mean. I had one wit ha niger trigger for a month, woke up found the niger trigger almost dead on the ground, and found the huma in the niger triggerfish's home. I then sold the huma, and nursed the niger trigger back to health. I would say that these triggerfish need at least a 90 gallon tank to live good.These triggerfish are good for a 100 gallon tank, but you shouldn't add them in that size tank together. They will fight fo territories, and you may wake up to see one of the triggers dead if you do do it.
Hope I helped!

S

swguy

Thanks topfish again. I think i'll go with a male blue jaw triggerfish. They seem like wonderful fish. Thanks!

kingklowntrigguh

Hey topfish I was just looking at your site and saw a blue line triggerfish. I never saw one before. Those fish are awesome! Can you (or anyone else who knows about this fish)tell me some stuff about it? I have a 250 gallon tank, and I want to add it, Can I?

topfish

Hi, ya I love my blue line triggerfish. These fish are extremely hard to get, and I have been looking for one forever, and then one day, found it. Blue line triggerfish get big, around 20 in. Since it gets that big, I would say it needs at least a 200 gallon tank.This triggerfish is a meanie. They are aggressive. Mine although, is nice, sometimes you get nice ones, and I got one. :) This triggerfish likes all meaty foods, and will eat almost EVERY invert, and I wouldn't put any triggerfish with any inverts, if you do your trigger will be happy, and full of food. What fish do you have in your tank. It depends on what fish you have, if you nicer fish, I wouldn't do it, If you got mean ones like clown triggerfish, you could get away with it.

ozzfan84

are blueline triggers the ones that change colors as they age? i saw one at my lfs and the guy said it was his "adult colors"

justchillin

topfish: i just saw the pics on your site and i was wondering if you've had any problems keeping two eels together??? i've always been told that one would eat the other unless they are in a very big tank (so they could have their own areas), but yours seem to get along great(side-by-side)...
what's your secret?!!
[ October 29, 2001: Message edited by: justchillin ]

topfish

hey justchillen, I have a big tank (250 gallon) These two eels are awesome, they are buds, they are always together, when the chainlink goes out to swim so does the snowflake. Yes, eels are canibalistic, I got the two most non aggressive eels there are, so that increased my odds of them doing good together. Heres what you gotta do, have a big tank, get two non aggressive eels(snowflakes and chainlinks are good), also, get tons of hiding spots, such as lr, and pvc tubing. I don't like pvc tubing so I got tons of lr. So if they do fight (which never happened) the eel will escape easy to a good hiding spot.

kingklowntrigguh

Hi, I just got a zebra eel (14 in.) and a male blue jaw trigerfish(5 in.) Your right topfish, male bluejaw triggers are beauties. I was wondering what fish can I get in my 250 gallon tank? Right now the fish are the zebra eel, and male blue jaw. What fish can I get?

topfish

Congrats with the new fish! But, you shouldn't of added to fish at once. It is best to take it slow, the slower, the better. What filtration do you have? If you want another triggerfish you can get away with it in a 250. Heres some types of triggerfish you can get that would do great. Huma Huma triggerfish, Assasi triggerfish, niger triggerfish, pink tail triggerfish. These are some good fish you can get with your male blue jaw. You can only get one of those triggerfish. There are other triggerfish you can get, but these triggerfish would do great. Only get another triggerfish if you have many caves, tunnels, and other hiding places. I have three triggerfish and it works because, there are many territories for the fish. If you have one or barely any others I wouldn't get the triggerfish till you get more territories. So so far the fish would be a zebra eel, male blue jaw, another trigger (I would go with one of the more peaceful ones I stated before get them around 4 in. because male blu jaws are pretty nice.), a harlequin tusk would be nice. Get it around maybe 6 in. I would purchase an australian, they have more color, are more hardy, but are more money, but is worth the extra bucks. You can get away maybe with a grouper, a panther would do good. Not as mean like other groupers. All of these fish are aggressive, and would love meaty foods. Krill, mysis, squid, brine, and other meaty foods are good. The triggers and the tusk will eat flake to. Remember to have no openings in the tank, or else your eel may escape. And remember go slow, good luck.

kingklowntrigguh

Thanks again topfish. I will probibly do what you suggested. I was looking at your tank pics and saw your two eels. Can I get another eel with my zebra?

topfish

I wouldn't do it. Although the tank is a 250 gallon, zebra eels are more aggressive and get a lot bigger. I wouldn't add another eel with the zebra, the zebra will probibly eat the eel. My eels do good together because they are the less aggressive eels there are(besides garden eels). Good Luck!

kingklowntrigguh

OK, Thanks again. I don't know much about harlequin tusks, all I know is that they look god and are aggressive fish. I would like to know more about this fish before I go out and buy one.

topfish

Harlequin tusks are beautiful, hardy, and aggressive fish. They get up to around 12-15 in. long. A harlequin would eat mysis, brine, squid, inverts, little fish(fedder fish, realy small damsels, cleaner wrasse when big, etc.), and all the rest of meaty foods you find, these fish eat almost everything, also, they eat flake, but meaty foods should be offered. If you haven't noticed these fish have four blue fangs. They are used to eat, breaking up little shells(for crabs maybe), and rearrange your tank with them. These fish are excellent fish.