hawian feather duster questions

hunt

Would marine snow be ok to feed these? And how often should one be fed?
I keep seeing these guys for like 10 bucks and i kinda want one now.
Thanks
Hunt.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt http:///forum/thread/380816/hawian-feather-duster-questions#post_3314996
Thanks
Hunt.
No, Marine Snow is useful for feeding deep water Ctenophores but not Featherdusters.
They eat mostly bacteria clumps that have dislodged from surfaces. If you have mechanical filtration you're going to have a difficult time with them, not impossible, just difficult. Taking a powerhead and blowing off your live rock a couple times a week should suffice to dislodge enough food for them.

pstock44

I have had two of them since early this year. Both their tubes have grown since I got them and I don't spot feed them at all. All they get is whatever they filter from the water. I do use a turkey baster and blow off the rocks every couple weeks so maybe they get something at that time.
I would call them very easy to keep and extremely pretty to look at. Here's a picture of mine from my album:
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/gallery/image/view/id/10736/user_id/51710

hunt

i keep hearing mixed reviews about these things. I think im gonna try one of them and see how it goes.

meowzer

HMMM....I have one in the 54G...had it over a year.....I have tried 3 in the 225G...and they keep disappearing

Maybe my water is too clean...LOL...BUT I will not try another :( I have not tried one in the 29G though....not sure I want to either

pstock44

All my parameters are zero or close to it but I wouldn't call my water "clean". The water looks clear but there's always micro particles floating around. Kinda like how you can see dust in the air when the sun shines through a window just right.
I think they're interesting to look at popping in and out all the time depending on who swims to close to them. And with mine at the base of some of the rocks they look kinda like our flowers do in front of our house. I think they make great accents to a system, I'm always stopping to look at them where ever I go.

indy2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunt http:///forum/thread/380816/hawian-feather-duster-questions#post_3314996
Thanks
Hunt.
I've had several over the years only have one now that I've had a couple of years, they are fairly easy to care for, i've learned over the years just to burrow them in the sand is not enough, put a small piece of LR on top of it leaving about 2 1/2 inches exposed it will attach itself to the live rock..feeding: don't waste your money on marine snow, I dose my tank daily with Phytoplankton not only for the duster but my other inverts, just be cautious some fish will feed on the tube if under fed..Tangs angels for an example..best of luck if you purchase one..btw they do like alot of water movement...

hunt

old thread, lol. I havnt gotten one yet, mainly because of money issues, but im still looking to get one. Ill keep this in mind when i do end up getting one.

bang guy

Success rates are relative I guess. Some people are happy to be able to sustain them for a few years. Some estimates indicate they may live for several hundred years in the wild.

darwin

alot of people think they die when the heads fall off too and toss em out but leave tube it just might show up again?

katsafados

I had a coco worm which is seen as more difficult to keep. It lived for about a year and a bit untill my whole tank crashed because of brown slime algae. But I never fed it directly, it got w.e I fed my fish and w.e was floating in the water column. Lost its head once, but grew back within 3 weeks, but thats when the tank started to crash so I lost everything.