Heater problems!!!

troyw806

I started a tank a little over a month ago and last week my heater broke in the tank. This happened while I was at work so when I got home roughly 5 hours later I noticed that my fish were dying off. That's when I saw that the heater had broken. I immediately unplugged it and took it and the broken pieces of glass out. Then I did about a 30% water change. The last of my fish died off yesterday (8/16/05). I was wandering how long to let it cycle before I started all over again? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thangbom

... only way i can see a heater breaking is if it was'nt submerged deep enough in water... and the coils heated up the glass to breacking.... and as for the wait on how long.. i say just do a test on the water ... if it's good then your good to go..( i may be wrong tho)

troyw806

I hadn't done a water change. and the water level was far above the heater. I tested the water and it was fine but when I added a lm blenny, feather duster and an anemone the anemone just floats around swelling up. The other fish seem fine. Do you know much about anemones?

S

sinner's girl

You don't do a wc to add water, you just add fresh water. You need to do this daily or so, to replace water that evaborate.
Annomes don't do well in new tanks.

lion_crazz

Yes, anemones do poorly in newly established tanks. And as directed, do a test on your water to see that the ammonia, nitrite, nitrates, and pH are still where they should be. And this time, buy a titanium heater. They are much better because they will never crack.

troyw806

how old is the recommended age a tank needs to be before introducing an anemone? Oh and thanks for the help everyone. I've noticed that this hobby takes practice, patience and money!!!

troyw806

No it was plugged into a power strip. but I checked to see if it got wet and with the spot it is in that would be hard to get it wet. I also put a drip loop on it.

trainfever

When you replace thatheater, make sure you replace it with a titanium one. They cost more but you will never have to buy another heater again.

the reef

Originally Posted by trainfever
When you replace thatheater, make sure you replace it with a titanium one. They cost more but you will never have to buy another heater again.
when buying a new heater get one that does not have the glass cuz when the watter level goes down it will break get the other kind cant rember what they are called but you could take them out of the watter all the way and they wont break I have one on both tanks
they are also good to when you forget to unplug it when doing a water change because they wont break
oh the name is titanium one as sugested as above

bang guy

Originally Posted by troyw806
No it was plugged into a power strip. but I checked to see if it got wet and with the spot it is in that would be hard to get it wet. I also put a drip loop on it.
That broken heater could have killed you. A GFCI outlet will save your life. If you're not familiar with GFCI please consult an Electrician.