Heater question

mproctor4

The heater I am currently using came used with my aquarium. I have no idea how old it is and it is making me nervous. I have decided to use this heater for my water changes and get a couple of new ones for the tank. I would like to have 2 smaller heaters in my tank, rather than a single larger one. I am wondering if I have 2 heaters how many watts should each one be? I have a 120 gallon tank with about 20ish gallons in my DYI wet/dry system. My current heater is 300watt and keeps the tank around 80 degrees. Any thoughts?

subie41ife

i would say get two 300 watts marineland heaters to be safe, which each one is good for up to 100 gallons each. the next step down is 250 watt which only does 75 gallons and usually the 300 watt will only be a few dollars more each

mproctor4

Thanks! I just want something small enough that if it malfunctions it won't fry the tank. That is why I want a 2nd heater, for a backup. Mine is only a 300 watt and is easily heating about 140 gallons. Even though I've turned the temp. control knob down, the temperature is slowly climbing, that is why it is making me nervous.

L

lilredwuck

I can't start a new thread, but I need an ACCURATE heater as mine is anything but.

mproctor4

Well my hubbie has a Marineland stealthpro that he really likes and 2 other have recommended it on another thread as well. I was comparing it to a JEBO (which apparently didn't get good reviews) that is cheaper. I ended up ordering 2, 250w Marineland stealthpros off the bay, decided it wasn't worth cutting corners on a heater. I'm sure there are higher quality/more expensive ones out there but I trust the Marineland heater.