Heaters and power heads

Been doing this for years i hate my maxi jets... And my heater just aint working that well anymore
Whats the best power heads and heaters out there on the market these days?
I have a 180 gallon looking to replace all ph and heater.
Thanks

meowzer

DEFINITELY the MP40's for the powerhead.....costly BUT worth every cent...I just got 2 for my 225G and love them
For a heater look into the titanium with a controller.....Finnex is supposed to be a top one....I don;t have one yet though
for my smaller tanks I have the Jager heaters..and so far they work fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/385016/heaters-and-power-heads#post_3374962
DEFINITELY the MP40's for the powerhead.....costly BUT worth every cent...I just got 2 for my 225G and love them
For a heater look into the titanium with a controller.....Finnex is supposed to be a top one....I don;t have one yet though
for my smaller tanks I have the Jager heaters..and so far they work fine
mp40 look great but man like 400 bucks ea i cant afford that... I have 3 Koralia number 4 and they just dont seem to be enough plus they make a lot of noise.
The jager heaters is what i use now and i hate it set at 78f and the tank is not getting above 72 heater is running non-stop so i think its no good as it used to work fine.
Any other thoughts on what brands?
Is the 3 ph i have now enough? 1200gph x3 3600/180= 20x a hour

meowzer

Have you cleaned the Koralias lately? The New Koralia Evolution 1400 are good ones.....YUP $400 is a lot ...BUT WORTH IT
The Jagers can be calibrated...have you tried doing that?

teresaq

koralia has the new magnums- I would like to try them out in my tank

5 Magnum

1,650 gph

4-1/4" x 6-1/2"

110-180 gallons

6 Magnum

2,200 gph

4-1/4" x 6-1/2"

150-250 gallons

7 Magnum

2,700 gph

4-1/4" x 6-1/2"

180-300 gallons

8 Magnum

3,250 gph

4-1/4" x 6-1/2"

220-360 gallons

For the heater, I would use the ViaAqua Titanium tube heaters. They are excellent heaters and have the external box temperature control. They are very reasonable priced as well. I bought a 100w for my 14g nano for around 40 bucks. I have a larger one on my 55g reef tank as well, both keep the temperature EXACTLY what you set the thermostat for.
Now on the power heads, I have always had great luck out of the Koralia. Never had a noise issue or anything like that, they flow A LOT! So in this case, bigger isn't always better.
I spare no expense when putting together any system I have, however 400 dollars for a power head is ridiculous. That is money that would very well be spent elsewhere.
If anyone pays that for a power head for a home system, they didn't see you coming - they HEARD about you coming, :rotfl:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakeclown http:///forum/thread/385016/heaters-and-power-heads#post_3374986
For the heater, I would use the ViaAqua Titanium tube heaters. They are excellent heaters and have the external box temperature control. They are very reasonable priced as well. I bought a 100w for my 14g nano for around 40 bucks. I have a larger one on my 55g reef tank as well, both keep the temperature EXACTLY what you set the thermostat for.
Now on the power heads, I have always had great luck out of the Koralia. Never had a noise issue or anything like that, they flow A LOT! So in this case, bigger isn't always better.
I spare no expense when putting together any system I have, however 400 dollars for a power head is ridiculous. That is money that would very well be spent elsewhere.
If anyone pays that for a power head for a home system, they didn't see you coming - they HEARD about you coming,

I was just looking at those heaters...

So i got 180 gallon tank, about 250lb of lr, 1 in sand bed. I just keep fish only.
What power heads and size should i go for? I have k4 1200gph thats 20x a hour 3 of them 1 in each corner then 1 in the center and there where dead spots everywhere but yet my sand was all over the place...

The positioning can affect the sand blowing. If you point them all downward you will get that. I would put one in the middle of the glass (level wise) and point it toward the surface a bit. The other I would have flowing toward the bottome-middle. The third I would have bouncing off the glass into the mid to bottom of the surface. You just really have to point them and get the best directional flow.
You shouldn't have any deadspots if you point them correctly. It takes practice to see how they will flow when you point them.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflakeclown http:///forum/thread/385016/heaters-and-power-heads#post_3374986
If anyone pays that for a power head for a home system, they didn't see you coming - they HEARD about you coming,

That's pretty rude to say........I had 7 Koralias in my 225G...add it up....I now have 2 MP40's and would spend the money again....The tank looks a hell of a lot cleaner w/o all the PH's, and DID I MENTION has 7 less powerheads running on the outlets...OH YEAH.,.....and running in the tank...since the MP40's motor runs OUTSIDE