Hello and thank you.....

bg

Just wanted to say hello and thanks, been a member for a while now, havent posted but have taken in a ton of information from you guys. I have a 50 gal stater tank, this winter will start a 90 gal and move this tank into it. I've fought many battles, lost many fish to jumping out, finaly got the top sealed off, lost 2 great sea horses (mixed with other fish, found out the hard way), red slime, ect ect. Ill be picking your heads soon enough when I begin my set up, for the mean time I figured I would introduce myself and post a few pics.

meowzer

Welcome to the boards (officially) LOL
Nice looking tank...glad to hear you are upgrading, mr. hippo would outgrow this tank eventually...love the purple firefish too

bg

Here's some of a few of my fish, we have a shrimp goby, blue and green mandarin, scooter, blue hippo, fire fish, lawn mower , puff and a coral banned. With 4 porcelain crabs, some sexy shrimp in our anemone and turbos for clean up.

bg

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3150210
Welcome to the boards (officially) LOL
Nice looking tank...glad to hear you are upgrading, mr. hippo would outgrow this tank eventually...love the purple firefish too
Thank you, Im not sure if he's coming, might donate him to my lfs, he doesn't give the other fish a break, steals their food then spits it out, brushes up against the constantly, it makes me crazy to watch
. I think when we have the chance when switching the tank he goes. I only got him because I had a lot of green algae from adding three bags of copepods.

btldreef

Originally Posted by BG
http:///forum/post/3150226
Thank you, Im not sure if he's coming, might donate him to my lfs, he doesn't give the other fish a break, steals their food then spits it out, brushes up against the constantly, it makes me crazy to watch
. I think when we have the chance when switching the tank he goes. I only got him because I had a lot of green algae from adding three bags of copepods.
I had the same issues with my hippo. It's more than likely the size of your tank. But if he's aggressive, donate him, there's so many other fish out there.

bg

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3150516
I had the same issues with my hippo. It's more than likely the size of your tank. But if he's aggressive, donate him, there's so many other fish out there.
Thanks for the reply...I was wondering if that had something to do with it, he seems like he just doesnt know what to do with him self...maybe we will keep him, we'll see. You still have yours?? You go to Country Critters and Aqua hut?? IM in Hampton Bays, pretty close to you.

miaheatlvr

Your hippo looks like it might have the onset of lateral line disease or even some hole on the head disease. All related to diet and stress. But more the diet.. Make sure he's getting the greens and vitamins. They are a must!

bg

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
http:///forum/post/3150654
Your hippo looks like it might have the onset of lateral line disease or even some hole on the head disease. All related to diet and stress. But more the diet.. Make sure he's getting the greens and vitamins. They are a must!
He scrapes himself on the sand and rocks a lot, It seemed to be when other fish were around so I thought he was just being aggressive, would that have anything to do with disease?? What sort of greens would I feed him, he ate all the algae?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by BG
http:///forum/post/3150676
He scrapes himself on the sand and rocks a lot, It seemed to be when other fish were around so I thought he was just being aggressive, would that have anything to do with disease?? What sort of greens would I feed him, he ate all the algae?
Dont forget to supplement his diet with NORI(seaweed) for grazing I even like to brush some VITA CHEM AND GARLIC ON mine alternating days.. this is such a must. All frozen should be soaked as well.. does he have ick? Hippos are the worst for this.. Good Luck!

bg

Not sure about ich, didnt notice it, but I will pick up some NORI seaweed asap, maybe that will calm him down.

oceandude

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
http:///forum/post/3150702
Dont forget to supplement his diet with NORI(seaweed) for grazing I even like to brush some VITA CHEM AND GARLIC ON mine alternating days.. this is such a must. All frozen should be soaked as well.. does he have ick? Hippos are the worst for this.. Good Luck!
For sure on the garlic products and vitamin product such as the one you mention and selcon.
The algae is necessary as you say too. Have you ever tried Japanese Seaweed Sheets (Porphyra, Gelidium, Gracillaria)? Talk about a fish going crazy...
I agree with ya'll on the Hippo wanting tons of swim space, that's why I keep getting bigger tanks...
lol.
"Fintastic" pics BTW. Thanks for posting them. :)

snakeblitz33

lol, in my experience, I've never fed garlic to a fish. Maybe some selcon in home-made food, but that's it. As long as you have good aquarium water quality and good conditions for the tang to live in, I've never had a problem with ich. :weird:

btldreef

Originally Posted by BG
http:///forum/post/3150649
Thanks for the reply...I was wondering if that had something to do with it, he seems like he just doesnt know what to do with him self...maybe we will keep him, we'll see. You still have yours?? You go to Country Critters and Aqua hut?? IM in Hampton Bays, pretty close to you.
I do not, I have an evil Coral Beauty who likes to kill my fish, especially tangs.
I basically live at Aqua Hut, we're on a first name basis with them, LOL. I actually just bought a ton of coral and rock from them yesterday, they were getting in a shipment of SPS and maricultured corals today.
I HATE Country Critters, they're overpriced and their livestock isn't that great. They're not as experienced and knowledgable as they lead people to believe they are. Have you been their recently? They're having a lot of issues with that big reef tank they have.
If you're willing to travel, you should check out Tropical Island Aquariums in Deer Park, it's a small store, but the guy has REALLY nice stuff for decent prices.
Are you on any local forums?

bg

http:///forum/post/3150931
I do not, I have an evil Coral Beauty who likes to kill my fish, especially tangs.
I basically live at Aqua Hut, we're on a first name basis with them, LOL. I actually just bought a ton of coral and rock from them yesterday, they were getting in a shipment of SPS and maricultured corals today.
I HATE Country Critters, they're overpriced and their livestock isn't that great. They're not as experienced and knowledgable as they lead people to believe they are. Have you been their recently? They're having a lot of issues with that big reef tank they have.
If you're willing to travel, you should check out Tropical Island Aquariums in Deer Park, it's a small store, but the guy has REALLY nice stuff for decent prices.
Are you on any local forums?
Hahahahaha I dont go to CC anymore either, I gave them a fish because he wasnt getting along with my red devil and Jonathan was supposed to give to someone for their 250 but instead he put it in his big tank when you walk in on the right. I came back in to see how my fish was doing and he was destroyed. No fins left and was floating facing down. I almosy killed him, I asked what happened he said it got its ass kick !! My wife dragged me out of there. So he doesnt get a dollar more of mine, yes they are over priced and make themselves out to be smart.
Bill and Tony at Aqua Hut are great, Bill's been helping me get ready to build my 90 gal. My wife and I take a ride there every weekend, grab something, 90% of the coral in my pics came from them.
Ill look into that lfs, I dont mind taking a ride, love going to new places !!

btldreef

Originally Posted by BG
http:///forum/post/3151543
Hahahahaha I dont go to CC anymore either, I gave them a fish because he wasnt getting along with my red devil and Jonathan was supposed to give to someone for their 250 but instead he put it in his big tank when you walk in on the right. I came back in to see how my fish was doing and he was destroyed. No fins left and was floating facing down. I almosy killed him, I asked what happened he said it got its ass kick !! My wife dragged me out of there. So he doesnt get a dollar more of mine, yes they are over priced and make themselves out to be smart.
Bill and Tony at Aqua Hut are great, Bill's been helping me get ready to build my 90 gal. My wife and I take a ride there every weekend, grab something, 90% of the coral in my pics came from them.
Ill look into that lfs, I dont mind taking a ride, love going to new places !!
WOW ... I would definitely have killed them!
Yeah, we deal exclusively with Tony, he won't let anyone else help us, HAHA. Almost all of our stuff is from there as well. We have the most success with coral and fish from them. They had an ich outbreak recently and Tony wouldn't let us have any of his fish, I think he knew I'd kill him if I ended up with that in my tank. He's been helping us build up our 155G recently. We've been there every other day. If you know when they're getting in big shipments, they'll sell off what they have left for cheap. Tony usually gives us the heads up, I'll share when I know. I know they're getting in a huge order in about a week of rock and coral. They ordered a ton (literally a ton) of LR from Indonesia and usually get really nice coral with the LR order.
Have you been to Suffolk Fish and Reef? They're so overpriced, but really do have the nicest looking fish and they never have ich (because they treat with copper).
You should take a look at ManhattanReefs.com. They have a great list of LFS's on Long Island. There's some idiots on that forum, but they have good listings and you can get corals from people for cheap!

bg

http:///forum/post/3151702
WOW ... I would definitely have killed them!
Yeah, we deal exclusively with Tony, he won't let anyone else help us, HAHA. Almost all of our stuff is from there as well. We have the most success with coral and fish from them. They had an ich outbreak recently and Tony wouldn't let us have any of his fish, I think he knew I'd kill him if I ended up with that in my tank. He's been helping us build up our 155G recently. We've been there every other day. If you know when they're getting in big shipments, they'll sell off what they have left for cheap. Tony usually gives us the heads up, I'll share when I know. I know they're getting in a huge order in about a week of rock and coral. They ordered a ton (literally a ton) of LR from Indonesia and usually get really nice coral with the LR order.
Have you been to Suffolk Fish and Reef? They're so overpriced, but really do have the nicest looking fish and they never have ich (because they treat with copper).
You should take a look at ManhattanReefs.com. They have a great list of LFS's on Long Island. There's some idiots on that forum, but they have good listings and you can get corals from people for cheap!
Tonys great, I got some prices from the other kid in there and Tony looked around the corner and said "Those are my customers, Ill take care of them". He beat the price by $35 dollars on the two pieces I wanted. Very cool, keep in touch, Im going to check for those listings, thanks !