Hello, New member here with a few Questions :)

thechosen

Hello guys. I, like you, love aquariums. I've had fresh water aquariums since i was 14 and now i think its time to move on to the big boys. I am totally new to salt water aquariums. What are some supplies that you might need and what size do you recommend for a beginner? Also what should i know about cycling a new aquarium(and also what is cycling)? Any help would be appreciated :)

bang guy

All of the basic questions can be answered in the book "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist". It can be found under books on this site :)
I strongly recommend you buy it or "Natural Reef Aquariums". Both are excellent and will lead you down the right path.
To answer your questions:
I prefer to cycle with uncured live rock. This will take 2 - 8 weeks and it's best not to rush things.
I recommend a Reef Ready 75 gal but a 55 is almost as good. The 75 gives a lot more options for aquascaping for not much more $$ and space. A 75 will also have more options if you plan on using a sump from the extra depth of the cabinet.
A Skimmer AKA Foam Fractionator will remove Dissolved Organic Compounds. These eventually break down and are consumed but they are quite stable and can hang around for a long time if not removed. They can degrade water quality and reduce gas exchanged at the water surface.
Please keep asking questions, but get a good book too!
Guy

thechosen

Thanks bud, I already ordered the book right after you recommended it. Man im looking at some of the fishes and shrimps here and they are awsome!! :D

rjpsj1

As Bang Guy said, read, read, read. I bought 7 books and read them cover to over before I bought anything. I run 3 other freshwater tanks and now an the proud owner of a 90 gal salt tank. I bought the tank used for a song. The hobby is expensive,but rewarding. When you decide the size tank you want and canfit into the location you plan, check your local papers or "buy Lines" magazines for some used equipment. Most of the books you read will tell you the larger the tank the easier to maintain. This is true, but the initial investment is greater. If you can afford it, my personal opinion is 75 gal as minimum for a reef tank. If you to go fish only, a 55 may be OK. Good luck and welcome to this great hobby.