HELP! Added pH buffer, now coral spitting out stuff?

sldrdvm

Help! I just added a pH buffer to my aquarium, doing as the directions stated (my pH was at 8) and my umbrella mushroom coral started spitting out these strings of white and brown stuff! Is it spawning, dying, or what?

meowzer

Did the stuff land on it? I know this is a way they "discharge" waste, I had one do that when I first got it...then it was okay afterwards....

sldrdvm

No, I actually watched it spit it out from it's "mouth". It's completely sucked it back in now. I think it's going to be ok.
Just kinda freaked me out.. I've had this coral the longest (the first one I got, 3 months ago), and I haven't seen it do that before.

meowzer

Originally Posted by sldrdvm
http:///forum/post/3016519
No, I actually watched it spit it out from it's "mouth". It's completely sucked it back in now. I think it's going to be ok.
Just kinda freaked me out.. I've had this coral the longest (the first one I got, 3 months ago), and I haven't seen it do that before.
LOL...You'll probably see it again

meowzer

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3018854
The coral is reacting to stress. This is a common way to show that they are very VERY not happy.
I thought it was also their way of "relieving" themselves....I had a mush dothat when I first received it, and then the nextday it was fine...

spanko

The bigger question in my mind is why are you adding Ph buffer to a tank that has a Ph of 8.0? Did you get this test in the morning or in the evening? A very simple test would be to taka a cupful of water, measure the Ph then put an airpump hose in it and let it aerate the water for a couple of hours then test again. If the Ph rises then you do not have enough gas exchange in the tank and need to find a way to aerate the tank water.
By the way 8.0 is not a bad reading. You should test your Ph in the evening when the lights have been on all day, Ph will normally test lower int he AM. Also if you carbonate alkalinity is low it will contribute to low Ph readings.

jazztap10

I believe what you are seeing is the discharging of nematocysts.
I've only seen it happen once in lab so I'm no expert at identifying it. Judging by the fact that you said they are retracting the discharge, it is most likely nematocysts.
Google some pictures to confirm. Nematocysts are stinging cells. Anenomes do this to kill whatever happens to be bugging them :)

meowzer

Originally Posted by jazztap10
http:///forum/post/3019106
I believe what you are seeing is the discharging of nematocysts.
I've only seen it happen once in lab so I'm no expert at identifying it. Judging by the fact that you said they are retracting the discharge, it is most likely nematocysts.
Google some pictures to confirm. Nematocysts are stinging cells. Anenomes do this to kill whatever happens to be bugging them :)
BUT it's a mushroom....

jazztap10

woops my bad on saying anemone! mushroom corals have the same thing.
They're all part of the phylum 'cnideria'. Cnido- meaning stinging nettle or stinging cell.