Help,advice and recommendations on a beginner tank.

B Doc

Hello everyone I was wonder if anyone could help me start out a new tank. This is my first time starting up a saltwater tank. I would love to start up a reef tank but not sure how hard that is to setup. So my questions are should I go reef which I really love and would like to do or fowls? What size tank is ideal for starting up either tank? Petsmart near me has a 75 gallon tank, stand, glass hood and led light for a sale price of $325 till I think April 4th. I'll be saving about $150 bucks on this tank . Should I buy it? I'm working on a budget right now. Can you tell me all of the stuff I would need to buy to get it up and running and staying crystal clear? Can toy give me some recommendations on what equpiment I should buy? What brand names are good? From what I read doing some research I need live sand,live rock, good led light with a timer on it, filter or a sump pump or a skimmer or all of these not really sure I forget, heater, thermometer, hydrometer, salt, test kit,siphon for water changes, reef treatment if I do a reef, algae attack pack, water conditioner, magnets to clean the glass, food, biological enhancer, 5 gallon bucket clean, 2 to 3 powerbeads, brush like a toothbrush to clean the live rock, larger rubber trashcan, vacuum, quarantine tank, not sure how to set this up either, I also read maybe get an ozonizer over a skimmer. not sure what to do please help here. Did I miss anything I will need? I can't really go bigger then the 75 gallon tank I live in a small row home. Please help me with starting up a tank from size to the supplies. I'll research hardy fish also till I know what I am doing and corals if I go with a reef tank. Thank you all in advance.

jay0705

75 is a good start. No need for water treatment go with r o water. If you want a reef the leds on the combo tank wont be enough. Also instead of a hydrometer get a refractometer

one-fish

You have given an in-depth list.. if in doubt about reef or a fowlr tank then go with a sump. Skimmer w/reef yes fowlr depends on who you ask. Your lighting is going to be the main issue no need to buy it twice that and a good saltwater for dummies (no offense) book to help you thru the "how to".. Looks like your Set...Good Luck!!!

B Doc

Thank you both for taking the time out to help me with your response. I didn't that that led would be good enough i'll have to upgrade that. I'll also buy a refractometer and maybe i'll go to a couple stores close to me and see there thoughts on the reef to fowlr and the sump or a skimmer. Thank you both once again.

B Doc

Also do you think the 75 gallon is too big to start? Should i go smaller like say a 40 or 55 gallon? Or just stay with the 76 gallon?

one-fish

Started my 55g FOWLR about 9 months ago and realize now I want a 75g....anything smaller than 75g you limit your self to want you can keep w/out issues