Help-clownfish larvae keep dying

sjk2840

Ok, its hatch night tomorrow. Once again my clownfish outsmarted me. I made a fake glass silicone wall and they laid the eggs above it-so I will be scooping larvae out of the parent tank tomorrow night. I have 1 large (5 gallon) bucket and 2 small buckets of rotifers going. I can see them when I scoop them out in a glass. I must be doing something right. I bought a new heater f or the larvae tank and am ready to hopefully raise some baby clownfish. I'll try and get some photos and will keep you all updated on my progress. Any last minute advice??
Thanks

al&burke

Make sure you use the SW from the parent tank. Good luck check your heater as well, in a bucket with water.

sjk2840

Heater works great and I will use the water from the main tank and only fill it 1/2 way up and add my rotifers-trying to take pictures of the larvae attached to the wall but my camera wont focus that close. I did use a magnifying glass and looked at the larvae, i can see their eyes, they somewhat resemble fish.i'll get them out of the main tank around 8 tonight once the lights go out. keeping my fingers crossed.

al&burke

I have a batch of eggs being transfered tomorrow night, last time I transfered one day early and lost them all. I think egg quality was poor due to my PH's in the parent tank were really plugged up, the pair actually did not pay as much attention to them, this time they are full at it.

sjk2840

Hatch night was last night, I sucessfully caught about 50 larvae, however as of this morning only 2 are alive. I put rotifers in the larve tank, water was from the parent tank, heater works, I had an overhead light on, it sits about 2 feet above the tank not directly shinning on the water. Cant figure out why they are all dying. Most of you on this forum transfer the eggs into the hatch tank, then hatch the babies, right??
How do you know if your batch of eggs are good or not??? :( I thought for sure this time would be good. I'm doing a water change on the parent tank today and I'm gonna try the false tank wall in their corner again and see if they will lay eggs on that.

sjk2840

Hi Bang Guy, I'm catching the larvae in a large plastic(-i call my fish only) measuring cup. Larvae and parent tank water go into the baby tank. I only filled the baby tank 1/2 way up with water this time to. I also tested the parent tank water, all parameters are good. The larvae tank temp is about 80-82, same as the parent tank.The 2 survivors are swimming around the tank. In the past the survivors dont make it past 7 pm. about the 24 hour mark.

sjk2840

I have a plastic cup from my brineshrimp hatchery that I use to scoop up the rotifers, I can see what looks like specs of dirt swimming in the water, I also can see them on top of the water. when I use the sieve I got with one of my rotifer kits, I see what looks like brown dirt particles on the screen.I'm assuming that those are rotifers.
My last survivor died last night, he did make it past the 24 hour mark though. The only thing I can think of is that the transfer of the larvae into the baby tank is too traumatic. I gently pour them into the water, but that seems to be the only thing that you are doing different from what I'm doing. I'm gonna try the glass fake wall in the corner of the tank again. Hopefully she lays her eggs on that.
i really want to make a go of this, but I just cant figure out what is going wrong.
It did look like my last survivor was eating- he would dart after something, so I thought for sure he would live. :(

al&burke

The fry tank has to be full of the rotifers, so the water is cloudy with them.
I am sorry you lost them.

sjk2840

No my water wasnt cloudy at all. How do you measure out your rotifers? I've got another chance for more eggs- they are cleaning their spot off again. I cleaned out everything today, so I'm ready for my next batch.

al&burke

Well I pour 6 to 8 cups of rotifers through the sieve for the fry tank. When I look at the fry tank water I can see alot of rotifers, they don't have to go far to eat, also your tank should be completely covered (black, with a light on). I add about 6 drops of the rotifer food as well.

al&burke

Hey sjk I just wanted you to see these pictures from tonight, mine just hatched, I want you to see how many rotifers are in the tank. No disrespect I just want to see you succeed. Also a few pictures of my first batch born Oct 22.

sjk2840

Hi Al, thanks for sharing your photos-how awesome!!! I actually was going to ask you to post a photo of your water with the rotifers in it. Mine didnt look like that. I only used about 2 cups of water:,whatever was in the sieve went into the water, not enough rotifers for sure. Your baby fish are soo cute!!!
My tank is covered in black paper and I have a light on, the light sits about 2-3 feet above the tank, its attached to a curtain rod. The light shines indirectly over the tank. Another question for you, what are you using in your rotifer water to control the ammonia? I didnt order the chloram-x I have stuff from the fish store-. I do have ammonia in my rotifer tubs, doing a 33% harvest everyday and using water from the main tank/water changes for the rotifer buckets. I run the main tank water through a sieve first, then add to the rotifers.
I am determined to raise a batch of babies. going to get some acrylic today and making my fake wall all the way to the top of the tank. Hopefully this will work, and she wont lay the eggs on the opposite end of the tank.

al&burke

The RG COmplete has an ammonia binder in it. Really good stuff. The larvae are doing great never had so many survive this long. Tonight I had to add some more rotifers it was looking light. Keep at it you will succeed. Today my LFS told me he would buy them all from me and he would like a steady supply, he is offering me 7 bucks a fish. Pretty happy with that.

sjk2840

I checked my ammonia in my rotifer buckets and it was .25ppm. wasnt sure if that was too high or not, so I added some amquel. I'm using the RGcomplete twice a day to feed my rotifers and harvesting them, so hopefully I'm keeping the ammonia down somewhat. I will order the Chloram-x when I need more RG complete.
Thats awesome that your LFS is going to buy your babies- 7$ a head is not bad. You can start a clownfish business now!!!
I'm waiting for the silicone to dry on my fake wall,I should have another batch of eggs on Monday or Tuesday, hopefully this time I will outsmart her and she will lay her eggs on my removeable
wall.

sjk2840

My fake wall worked, she laid her eggs in the silicone on the bottom corner , but she only laid it looks like 20-30 eggs, way less than she usually lays. So. should I let this batch go,, or will they be ok? was it the fake wall that possibly could have thrown her off? The eggs look healthy, they are bright orange. I was surprised to see so few eggs this time.

bang guy

I'd skip this batch and focus on constantly feeding her instead.
I forget, what species are your Clownfish? I'm wondering if you might want to make another wall to swap out with the eggs.