Help controlling my algae problem...it has gotten out of control!!!!

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by asharp13
http:///forum/post/3126487
Also, can anyone fill me in on the exact type of algae I'm dealing with...like an exact name so I can jump on google n see what the www has to offer??
Also, greg, it was my understanding that many essential nutrients and beneficial bacteria are held in the sand bed. Will removing a lot of that disrupt my tank???
some in the sandbed, alot in the LR, and you are only replacing half the sandbed. And that looks like hair algae to me. And as for "essential nutrients" the only thing I can think of that is an essential nutrient in the sandbed would be if you had a cuke to plow through it eating and passing clean sand. Reefs are nearly nutrient free.

asharp13

How important is my sand bed??? Can I take out the majority of it and still have my tank be ok??? Also, if my LR holds the majority of the nutrients my tank needs, what affect does the algae growing on it have??? Will the algae kill those nutrients?? Therefore do I need the minimal nutrients comming from the sand bed???

gregzbobo

Originally Posted by asharp13
http:///forum/post/3127178
How important is my sand bed??? Can I take out the majority of it and still have my tank be ok??? Also, if my LR holds the majority of the nutrients my tank needs, what affect does the algae growing on it have??? Will the algae kill those nutrients?? Therefore do I need the minimal nutrients comming from the sand bed???
The algae is growing from the nutrients that the sandbed is releasing when you do your water changes, the nutrients in the rock are more or less locked in place.
In being a reefkeeper, most of us strive to reduce or eliminate nutrients, they invariably do more harm than good.
In a reef aquarium, nutrients (aka phosphates, nitrate, detritus and so on) are a bad thing. You don't want to replace more than half the sand bed because you'll lose beneficial organisms like bacteria and microfauna like worms and pods and such.
If you can replace half the sand, like from one side of the tank, instead of an upper layer, that would be ideal. That would give the established sand time to seed the new stuff with beneficial organisms. Wait a month or two, then do the other side.
I got this info from an issue of FAMA a couple years ago where an individual with a huge aquarium was having algae and lateral line disease problems that was determined to be caused by phosphates and other nutrients locked in his sandbed and being released by the sand getting stirred up during WCs.
The writer in the mag had him do enormous water changes coupled with replacing significant portions of his sandbed every 3-4 weeks apart.
He also had the letter writer use Poly Filters in his filtering system to remove nutrients from the water column. They can get pricey, but they work.
You could use Phosban or some other phosphate adsorbent material in a mesh bag with water flowing through it, but most of these won't address nitrates and other nutrients.
His aquarium was something like 200g or so, so he did 1/4 or 1/3 of the bed replaced at a time, with such a huge amount of sand there was more than enough to seed the new sand in 3-4 weeks time.
Your case I say half and a longer wait because it'd be a bit simpler, and the longer wait lets the new sand seed better.
Its really rather radical, so if you can utilize the P word and stick with RO/DI - distilled water changes/topoffs from now on and see any algae die-off, that would be better.
As for your refugium light, I think a reverse light cycle with it is commonly acceptable.
Speaking of lights, have you replaced the lights of the tank yet? If not, don't replace them all at once, replace one tube a week to reduce light-shock on your corals.
Anyways, this info is given for you to decide what to do, just keep in mind the P word when you decide on a course (or courses) of action.
PS: if theres anyway you can "borrow" a lawnmower blenny and an emerald crab or two, thats another thing that would help while you're doing what you decide. Lawnmowers are supposed to consume hair algae, and emeralds go after most bubble. A few margarita snails and astrea won't hurt, but keep an eye on them if they fall, and big margaritas can bulldoze smaller rock.

posiden

asharp13;
Please continue to post in this thread. I am very interested in how all this works out for you.
I hope that what ever you do to fight this works. I am subscribing so I can follow the progress.
Also, I think you have hair algae by the pics. And do you still have the grape calupra in the tank?

A

abeandlulu

Every 2 weeks or so I take a turkey baster and blow off the rocks. It is amazing how much S@#% is in the rocks. And I hve never had a problem with hair algea. JMO but is it worth a try

spanko

Wow. Quite a problem here.
Are there any fish in the tank?
What water are you doing water changes and top offs with now?
What are your nitrate readings?
Are these the stock lights? Are they the original new bulbs?
What kind of sand did you use?
Was this a brand new setup or did you purchase it all used?

asharp13

posiden- idk what a grape calupra is but the tank hasnt changed since the first pics, i reworked the rocks a couple weeks ago becasue i wasnt happy with the original setup but everything is more or less te same.
spanko- YESSSS!!! quite a problem indeed!!!
fish-2 4striped damsels and a mandarin dragonette along with some snails, hermit crabs, and 2 emerald crabs.
i buy all my water from my LFS. 5gal salt for weekly water changes and i use the LFS's RO FW for my topoffs.
i tested my water yesterday and all the levels are where they should be as i also had my LFS test it and they say everything looks good.
i use the stock sunpaq lights that i replaced 2 weeks ago thinking the yellowing of my aged lights had something to do with the prblem but ive seen no change since the new lights went in.
i began my tank 6mos ago with live wet sand sold at the LFS, i think CaribSea. I have been adding CaribSea aragonite Pink fuji sand since then becasue i like the look of it. idk the differences in sand but i am out so any suggestions would be a huge help.
setup was brand new.
i just blacked out my tank yesterday and will leave the tank without lights for 2.5 days. when i turn the lights back on on friday, i am planning on removing half of the sand bed with another waterchange.

kronos5

Use RO water and let the Bloom run its course. I would like to upgrade to a bigger tank, but I just can't bring myself to fighting the new tank algea blooms that happen. It will run its course.

spanko

Sounds like an okay plan for the moment. However be aware that as the algae dies from no light, they will release pent up nitrates into the water. If these are not removed you will have the same old problem. When you uncover if a few days you will want to remove as much algae as possible by hand then do a large water change. I would do 50% then in another two or three days another 50%. What temperature lights do you have, the kelvin value?

asharp13

I have two sets up 32w bulbs in my tank.
-6,700k/10,000k
-420nm/460nm
why do you ask? does this have an affect on my algae growth?

spanko

Lower Kelvin bulbs are very condusive to algae growth. Consider replacing them with 10k or even 10k/actinics.

asharp13

ill make note to upgrade my lights in a couple months when it is time for a change...thx spanko uve been a huge help.
Update:
This is the second full day the DT lights have been off. I changed my refugium lights to 24hr cycle to maintain the pH in the tank. I will remove 50% of the tank sand from one side of the tank tomorrow around noon along with a 50% water change. this coupled with a major tank scrubbing will hopefully knock out a huge portion of my problem. I will keep everyone following this thread updated on my progress. keep your fingers crossed haha and thanks again for the help!!!

asharp13

Great News SWF!!!!
for anyone who has been following this thread, i have made a major dent in my algae problem!!!! attached are some pics to show the progress. After leaving the lights off for 2.5 days, i turned them on yesterday at noon and did a 25% water change and replaced 40-50% of the sand bed completely. it was amazing how much S#!T was down there!!!! today, i did another 25% water change. Both with a major scrubbing of all the rocks.
the green hair algae has died off for the most part. the algae that was there, when i uncovered the tank yesterday, was more gray and dead looking than the thick mossy green stuff that was there. there are still remnants of the algae all over the rock but it looks dead. i added 5 hermit crabs, an emerald, an another turbo snail today with my water change to battle the remaining algae.
it is my hope that the dead algae doesn't come back to life now that the lights have went back on. i guess we will see in a week or so.
check out my new pics and again, thx for all the help and advice, i couldnt have done it without yall!!!!!

jackri

Looking a lot better. Hair algae can be a pain to get rid of. Starting with tap water causes all kinds of headaches -- hate how going cheap in the beginning makes it more costly in the end.

king_neptune

the tooth brush probably did the majority. I just scrubbed 50lbs of LR and did a 25% water change last week. Amazing difference it made, now my tank looks 10x better. not the ultra pristine water I desire, but it is getting there. I also took out my filter sock so the scrubber could do more work. That too helped im sure.