Help! Critter i.d!

55galgill

well got this bunch of ulva a.k.a lettuce algae
from my lfs the other day cuz i heard there good for pods and to feed my tangs. well these little things swarmed outta it!!! and i was like "good lord what the f#$% is this now" so they start crawling up the glass and i could swear to god it looked like they were eating my smaller pods....omg thats all i need after all the trouble i went thru to set up my refugium. and my pods were on the rise too....well my question is what the hell are they?how do i kill them?and will it hurt them to die?,cuz i would really enjoy watching these things squirm!:mad: ~Gill~

55galgill

great ,just greeeeaaat.....now this website is not letting me post a pic...aarrrrrrrggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

55galgill

well until i can post a pic i guess ill describe it.
there white and flat.it looks like a shelless snail the back is round and the front has a fork shap to it .and it also has a brown dot in the middle. thanks for the help

T

tizzo

Those are white flatworms. They are safe, I've never heard of them eating pods!! They are pretty common in tanks.

yosemite sam

Yup, white flatworms. These guys do in fact eat pods, but I wouldn't worry about them too much. Do a search on the board, there are some good posts on them.

effloresce

indeedy, wrasses will eat them, sixlines are IMO the best, they are small, colorful, active, and also eats other pests :D

55galgill

ya but in the process wont the sixline eat the pods also? and these buggers are in my 6 gallon refuge so i dunno if a sixline would help. do you think that flatworm exit would help? and how would my inverts feel after i dose with it?????????

bang guy

They are not very prolific.
If you want to get rid of them just siphon them out right after turning the light on..

55galgill

arrrg looks like i have an apointment with a turky baster again
they need to devlop some sort of pest lazer for our fish tanks so when we see a pest we point and say asta la vista baby and poof its gone,thanks bang/everyone if you guys got any other ideas please add 'em on

55galgill

Hey turns out my pipett straw for my refractometer suck them up great! im gonna curse there little name as i fluch them ha ha ha ha ha ha

dmill15

Those are AWESOME!!! Believe me. They also eat the dreaded red flat worm. I had a bad case of the red ones in my 55 then those white ones showed up and in under a week all the red ones were gone. The white ones will dissapear on their own. Mine were arround for only a month or so.

55galgill

i have heard of there slight benifit but im trying to boost my pod populations and those little guys are hindering my process slightly. and for that , they have a date with a pipett straw
and a toilet. every time they eat a pod it drives me crazy lol