Help from clam gurus

N

newreefers

I would like to know if you think I could keep a clam in my 10 gal with the following lights
Power Compacts
2 bulbs, 36W - 1=7100K white and
1=7100Kwhite/12000K blue
this is the arrangement in the canopy....
__________________blue
__________________white
__________________white
__________________white

hairtrigger

Ok, I know this is not much help, but I have heard there is one type of clam that thrives under PC lighting. I can't remember offhand, but maybe the sharks could offer some opinions. Cause I want one too.

clamps

your lighting would prolly be ok for a tridacna squamosa but i would hold off on any maxima`s or croaca`s untill u see how your squa does squamosa`s require the least amount of light..just IMHO and FYI

N

newreefers

thank for the info - one more question, put it in the sand or put it on the rock, I have heard both.

clamps

most of mine prefer the sand it seems,i have also heard and read both IMO it depends on the light if there is ample lite the clam will be happist in the sand but if there is a want for light then up higher on the rocks would prolly be better,the tridacna croaca is a rock burrowing clam so it might like the rock best,im not sure.some other clam owners prolly know more than me so wait around and see what else is said (i am by no means an expert just a clam owner)

jonthefb

how long has your tank been set up? you should have enought light for a squamosa or derasa, but like clamps said you might hold off o n the maximas and croceas until you see how yours is faring. i woudl really wait until your tnak is 6 months old before attempting a clam, as this way you know your tank is on its way to maturity, and it has stabilized. i keep a squamosa and maxima clam in my 20 gallon with 130watts of light on the sandbed, and they both love it and are dooing extremely well. the other thing you are gonna have to consider is that if the clam is under 3 inches long, it is going to require feedings more than actual light. the best way to do this is to take a cup of aquarium water out, mix up the plankton/phyto in th ewater and then place the baby clam in this "bath" for about 5 minutes or so!
anyhow good luck, make sure your Ca levels are high and that you are supplementing your ca/alk with somethign and you should be ok!
good luck
jon

bang guy

IMO that's enough light for a Squamosa except keeping it healthy in a 10 gallon will be very difficult. They can tolerate a lot but unstable water is a problem. I suggest against a Tridacna in a nano. Sorry.

yosemite sam

I agree with bang guy. Besides the water condition issue is the growth issue. Squamosa clams grow very fast. If you get one that is over 3", which you should, it will out grow your 10 gallon fairly quickly. If you have other corals in there, ones that sting, your clam is not going to be very happy.

jonthefb

yeah thats the problem with the clams of browner coloration, such as squamosa, derasa, and gigas, they do well in lowere light conditions but they do grow super fast. ive had my 3 inch squamosa for about six months now and hes already grown about a half an inch! crazy!
good luck
jon