Help Fuge Lighting Expert..3500k

scarybo

I had a 13watt atinic/white bulb lighting my refugium. I wanted to get better macro growth so I switched to a 13watt pc from home depot. The bulb however is 3500k which is really yellow. Is this okay to grow macro or should I switch the bulb back.

scarybo

Bang,
Tried it and it works great. I cant keep up with the growth of my macro. I was worried that I might get hair or cyno, but it never happened. It grows 3X as fast as when I had the higher kelvin blue/white bulb.

bang guy

Thank you for the feedback! I believed the "leaning toward the red" spectrum would grow algae better. The Macro is able to outcompete the micro. This is almost always true.

jond

Maybe you can help me. I have a 13w PC w/ a 6500K bulb over my fuge. I have had very minimal macro growth, and a contiual minor problem with red slime. Should I try a different bulb?
Thanks

scarybo

I had a little red slime with the 6500k blue/white. I changed bulbs and just increase my water flow "slightly" and it is gone. And now I'm in macro heaven.

jond

Should I accomplish this by increasing the GPH into the fuge, or just add a small powerhead?

bang guy

"by increasing the GPH into the fuge" ;)
The idea is to make the nutrients coming from the display tank available to the Algae.