help help help! crab eating anemone!!

J

jeremye83

so i just got a anemone crab as well as a pint tip hiatan anemone.. the anemone was doing great until i saw it entirely sucked in with the crab sticking half out of it!!! it was eating it and pinching it!! i was able to scare it off but what should i do? anemone doesnt look too well and i def dont want that to happen again!!!

J

jeremye83

i dunno but when he was stuck in there he was snipping away the tips and eating them!

meowzer

Probably out of desperation trying to escape...I have heard of these type of anemones eating anything that fits into their mouth...even fish.

J

jeremye83

yea he got out.. looks alot better but its only about 2/3 its size before it happened..

lmecher

Have you noticed any other damage besides a few tantacles missing? I would remove that crab just for safety sake should it develope a taste for anemone. Missing tentacles regrow and hopefully if thats the extent of the damage it should be alright. Hows it doing today : )

dive girl

Have you thought about feeding you anemone? My green clown goby actually sits inside my condi (never heard of that before, it is like he is hosting) so I make sure that my condi is well fed. Otherwise, I'm afraid my goby is his next meal.

J

jeremye83

i just got them both so i havent fed him yet, I will start him on some silversides or krill pellets shortly. I think he was right when he said the anemone tried eating him first and it was just his way of trying to get out.
The crab is now underneath the anemone without any further problems :)

perfectdark

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2908352
Probably out of desperation trying to escape...I have heard of these type of anemones eating anything that fits into their mouth...even fish.
+1 very predatory anemones...You have 2 inverts that are not common to each other too. Good Luck.