Help!!help!!

mlt

My powder blue tang has little white spots and two larger white dots on him. He was fine this morning and just checked him when I got home from work. What is this and what can I do? Also all my water test result went way up from just a couple of days ago. My ammonia level stayed the same at .25 but nitrates when from 20 to atleast 80 and the nitrite went from 0 to .25. I set up my 125 gal tank just shy of 4 weeks ago. I used all my lr ls and water from my 75 gal tank. I added Home Depot sand to the bottom of the tank and added the ls on top. If I need to do a water change how much water should I take out with these readings? Also my PH is high (between the 8.4 and 8.8). I have ph decreaser that I use in my hot tub. Can I use this same decreaser or do I need special one? I never had this happen in my 75 gal tank.

Ok, first off, what is on your fish sounds like ich. ANY ammonia at all is lethal to fish, even if it is .25, it should be 0. Further, you added a very fragile fish WAY too early. I would take the tang out and quarantine him. I'm not certain on exactly how to rid him of ich, so let some others chime in. If it is ich, it will take a few weeks for the infection to dissappear from you tank. HTH

bang guy

Go to the Disease Forum and check out the second thread. Scroll down & look for the post titled "ICK".

mlt

Thanks for the help. I had the powder blue in my 75 gal and he was fine in there. Since my readings are high how much of a water change do I need to do?