help..how do I clean the glass?

barchtruong

I got a fish tank what the glass seems to have some sort of deposit, you know like calcium deposit sort of. I can't scrap it off cuz there's nothing there to scrape off. I used glass cleaner spray bottle and worked it, but the stain didn't come off. Looks like it appear on the entire inside of the tank. If you know a good way to remove it, please help. I really appreciate all your help.
Thank you.

subielover

White vinegar and warm water. I wouldn't use any household cleaners on the inside of the tank, that is just asking for trouble.

t316

I hope you were not using "glass cleaner", but rather just the bottle? This would be a bad thing. Also, I'm assuming the tank is empty?
Try using a vinegar & water mixture. This sometimes will breakdown this buildup and help it come off easier, yet is safe for use on the tank.

barchtruong

thank you very very much both.
I just bought the tank and it is 140g...yes, it is so big.
and it's got this deposit and I am so frustrated.
I hope vinegar will help solving my frustration.
I would die if they don't come off.
The tank is empty. and I did use glass cleaner just to test it out at a small area in the upper corner. Would that still be a disaster....?omg...my frustration is on the rise...urghh..
thank you.

t316

No, not a disaster, but a lot of people don't know this and just don't think about it, or they have a guest or maid over that just starts cleaning the glass with cleaner. This can be deadly to fish. Since your's is empty, just mix up a strong vinegar solution, spray or wipe it on and let it sit. It should loosen that stuff up. Now if this is some type of "film" or coloration in the glass, it may not come off. But that is usually found on plexiglass tanks, not glass as you indicated you have.

barchtruong

let me go try it and I'll let you all know if they come off.
I am afraid it's more of a film than just deposit.
Oh, also, if say a tank that has water in it and the stain shows, how do you clean them? I don't think vinegar would work in this case, right?

t316

Originally Posted by barchtruong
http:///forum/post/2874150
let me go try it and I'll let you all know if they come off.
I am afraid it's more of a film than just deposit.
Oh, also, if say a tank that has water in it and the stain shows, how do you clean them? I don't think vinegar would work in this case, right?
Once you get the tank cleaned, and then setup with water and inhabitants, the things that show up on the glass from there are EASILY removed with a Magfloat or something similar. No problems. This vinegar process is usually only used for just what you are doing now, trying to remove some really old crap from a tank that was either not properly cared for, or either it sat up dry for awhile.

t316

If it doesn't work the first time, try mixing up a stronger vinegar solution. Vinegar has the potential to break down some of the ugliest of scum, and safely.

barchtruong

omg...my mom said, "I just ran out of vinegar...". I dunno like this coincidence..
I went and used a pc of lemon and scrubbed on the glass, let it stand for a min, wiped it off...didn't work.
I will go get vinegar tomorrow. I thought lemon is as strong as vinegar...hmm.

t316

http:///forum/post/2874174
omg...my mom said, "I just ran out of vinegar...". I dunno like this coincidence..
I went and used a pc of lemon and scrubbed on the glass, let it stand for a min, wiped it off...didn't work.
I will go get vinegar tomorrow. I thought lemon is as strong as vinegar...hmm.
Negative....but I bet it smells better now....

reefkprz

if regular vinegar doesnt work use pickeling vinegar (regular vinegar is about 5% acetic acid pickeling vinegar is closer to 18%) the stronger acid may dissolve the residue better.
(oh and just as a random clarifier, citric acid is about 1.87 Ph ( the five percent solution as found in lemon juice gives a total Ph of about 2.3, table vinegar is about 5% ascetic acid at a PH of 2.4 increase the amount of ascetic acid to 18% (pickeling vinegar) and... well do the math) funny thing is pure acetic acid has a PH of around 3.92 but put it in an aqueous solution of water and the PH drops to about 2.43 even when the waters original ph was 5.62..... the math doesnt add up does it? LOL)

barchtruong

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2874215
if regular vinegar doesnt work use pickeling vinegar (regular vinegar is about 5% acetic acid pickeling vinegar is closer to 18%) the stronger acid may dissolve the residue better.
(oh and just as a random clarifier, citric acid is about 1.87 Ph ( the five percent solution as found in lemon juice gives a total Ph of about 2.3, table vinegar is about 5% ascetic acid at a PH of 2.4 increase the amount of ascetic acid to 18% (pickeling vinegar) and... well do the math) funny thing is pure acetic acid has a PH of around 3.92 but put it in an aqueous solution of water and the PH drops to about 2.43 even when the waters original ph was 5.62..... the math doesnt add up does it? LOL)
can I find pickeling vinegar at the grocery stores?
I read a source online saying that mix baking soda with vinegar. Will baking soda do any harm to the sealant as well as the future lifestock? thank you...

reefkprz

http:///forum/post/2874327
can I find pickeling vinegar at the grocery stores?
I read a source online saying that mix baking soda with vinegar. Will baking soda do any harm to the sealant as well as the future lifestock? thank you...
most likley with the canning goods
adding baking soda to vingar will just make a mess. the bicarbonate wil react with the acid foaming like crazy, neutralizing the acid. and dissolving the bicarbonate, all youll wind up with is a mess. ever make a fake volcanoe as a kid?
use one or the other, you can use baking soda as an abrasive but you can haze your glass doing that (giving it a permanent foggy look)
baking soda wont harm anything after its rinsed clean. but I wouldnt use it on my glass.