Help Identify!!! Please....

bjgwilliam

I got this Mushroom a couple of weeks ago. He is the only one in the tank and hoping he will multiply. If you take a close look at it you see a green horn type on the bottom. It was not there when I first put him in the tank but it has appeared over the past week or so. It looks as if the horn is attached at the base of the mushroom. It is interesting to watch as it will routinely vibrate as if it is trying to lure prey.
Over the past two days it has developed 2 small ball at the tip of the horn.
Can you please share with me your expertise as to what this might be? Is it part of the mushroom, or is it something completely different?
Thank you for your help:joy:

pyro

I'm sorry I can't make a positive ID for ya, but I can rule out it being part of the mushroom.

bjgwilliam

:notsure: Here is another look at it. I took this today. You can see the bubble groath on the tip. Again, I don't thing it is an alge because it vibrates as if luring prey...
Thanks again.

bjgwilliam

Thanks Bang!

Is this something that I want to keep in the aquarium? Or do I need to get rid of it.
I read that If and when it dies it can make the water cloudy for a few days. Is it toxic? :happyfish

bang guy

That particular sub-species is commonly called Mini-Grape.
It happens to be fairly easy to remove and a lot of fish like to munch on it. I have no proof but that tells be that it produces fewer Caulerpins than other macroalgae.
Just don't let it grow into any LPS and keep it well trimmed if you want to keep it. Personally, I find Macroalgae to be fairly invasive in a reef tank.