help id'ing with bad description

beaslbob

I am sorry I did not get a picture so will try to describe what I saw.
There was a snale like thing spewing red orange eggs about 4" directly up in the water column. Meanwhile my royal gramma was eating all the eggs he could at each eruption. The spewer is something I did not buy or intentionally add. Has a skull cap type shell and is not a horseshoe crab. Under the shell where the eggs came out was a brownish greyish body attached to the rocks. It almost had a madrian type look except for the rest of the body and coloration.
It lasted about 10 minutes and stopped before I could get my camera for a pic.
Any ideas guys/gals?
If it happens again will try to get a pic.

Was the snail perched on its end . . . kinda like a horse reared up on its haunches?
If so its a PLANT!!!!!!

I am just messin' with ya . . . . . its sounds like a stomatella snail, a common hitchiking algae grazer that reproduces rather prolifically in the marine aquarium.

beaslbob

I always enjoy humor.
maybe i should add plants to make this better :thinking:
I think you are right. would have posted the link but is probably a competitor to swf. Picture looks close and they do release eggs into the water column. And they are secretive during the day so that may explain why I didn't notice them until grown.
Stomatella are active day or night, but come out mostly at night and are fairly secretive during the day. A look at the tank walls after dark with a flashlight will usually spot this critters if they are present in the tank. They will reproduce in the reef tank, but don't seem to reach nuisance population levels. Breeding has been observed during the daytime with all individuals climbing up to high points on the live rock and simultaneously releasing their eggs and sperm into the water. This can cause the tank water to look milky for a short time, but is nothing to worry about. The filter feeders get to eat well when this occurs.
Mine was on the side of a rock releasing whatever straight up. So i think you got it.
Not really rearing up like a horse as it was vertical already. But the body did contract to be more covered with the shell after releasing the eggs.
thanks
BTW This happened while I was acclimating my new SWF blades and ricordia. True to form SWF came through again. All excellent. First impressions are the blades should be much better than shaving brushes IMO. But a have very limited experience with both so time will tell.
Picture is not from me but from the web. Seems to be very close to what i have

jacksonpt

Originally posted by beaslbob
I always enjoy humor.
maybe i should add plants to make this better :thinking:

Way to go... you take a lot of heat on this board, and while I don't always agree with you, I'm very impressed that you keep such a level head about it.

beaslbob

Originally posted by waterfaller1
Bob,how about a pic of the "blades"??Is it like turtle grass?BTW,I just put the 130 wt actinic PC's that I removed from my DT on my refugium,about 4 days ago..and my macro algae is loving it.Today, there is a flourescent orange/pinkish coraline on the glass..that exploded overnight!Also Bob,where on SWF is this macro available?I can't find it:confused:

Will try to get a pic. My tank is getting crowded now and there is shipping dust on them still. they flat and spread out like a hand fan. Similiar to pictures I have seen of mermaid's fan.
they are under the inverts section under plants.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Kip4130
i wish my stomas would lay eggs...congrats... too bad the royal gramma ate them... i have some in my fuge away from predators and i still cant get an population increase.

It was quite a display. and the royal gramma did not get all the eggs. And they just showed up.
Actually, lotsa stuff just started showing up since I added corals and started using the filter feeding food. Seems like things other than the corals, oyster, and sponges are getting fed also. LOL

beaslbob

Originally posted by ReefNut
Don't they require strong lighting?

I presume you mean the blades. Guess I'm going to find out. BTW my lighting is EV 7 whereas the LFS coral tank with MH and PC is EV 9. So if nothing else I may have to finally add the third fixture LOL.

beaslbob

exposure value. for photography. Don't know how it converts to lux. and not the same from what i understand as par. But then that was the only light meter i had LOL.

beaslbob

Originally posted by Kip4130
i thought it looked like photography... at any rate.. i will keep urging you to have a look at PAR
most of us dont have PAR meters because they are expensive... thats why you have to by the manufacturers specs on bulbs
one day we will get you to have some bulbs with PAR suitable for a reef and you will see a huge difference
... or at least I am gonna keep poking at ya :)

Keep on poking. My experiences are that plants are not spiked at a specific value. Initial research is confirming that. besides I have trouble with micro einstiens per circular whatever.
BTW what manuracturer's specs? Most i find are just watts and kelvin.