HELP, if i treat my tank to clear Aiptasia will it hurt anything at all in my tank?

ghola5

I have a rock covered in Aiptasia, me thinking for so long it was some type of good thing, now I know its not, and I have my leathers that I dont want to get killed by it, I want to put it in my tank because there is no way for me to spot inject it, its called stop Aiptasia and its by chem-marin, is there anyway at all it can hurt any fish? clowns, tangs, gobby,damsel, or corals which are leathers, gorg, and a BTA? it says its safe with corals ,fish and inverts, is there anything who things i should not put this in my tank? thanks so much

reefreak29

ive never been a big fan of adding stuff to my tank ,for my tank i bought 10 peppermints and they were gone in a week

ghola5

i have a coral banded shrimp, would u get along with that kind of shrimp? and so u think i shouldnt add it really? im scared to just because I feel the same way

reefreak29

Originally Posted by ghola5
i have a coral banded shrimp, would u get along with that kind of shrimp? and so u think i shouldnt add it really? im scared to just because I feel the same way
some people might tell u to add it but i wouldnt use the stuff even if it works, i have a cbs also,what size tank do u have?

jackson82nd

trying to get rid of our apraisia we have added pep. shrimp first couple times they were gone quick cause they were small have a coral banded a fire shrimp and a cleaner, this time I found the 2 biggest pep. shrimp i could put 2 of them in there 3 days ago. They are both still alive and I have seen aptaisia start to fade. Hoping it continues. GO GO PEPPERMINT SHRIMP :cheer:

babyb

if they are only on one rock you could take the rock out for a while and let it dry up, that kills them, so i was told, i did it with a small rock and it seemed to do fine

hot883

They are $25 for the peppermint shrimp here. To expensive for the lion to eat so I have no choice but to use aiptasia remover or boiling water. If you use the remover, follow the directions turning off skimmer, and pumps to treat with. Barry

imfsub12

what is so wront with the glass thingies.. I have them in my tank, they came with some LR that i got.. i'm just in the mits of cycling should i get ride of them now or wait till i get a clean up crew???
thanks...

hot883

Originally Posted by imfsub12
what is so wront with the glass thingies.. I have them in my tank, they came with some LR that i got.. i'm just in the mits of cycling should i get ride of them now or wait till i get a clean up crew???
thanks...
They will sting corals, fish and will spread like crazy. Get rid of them now while you have the chance. Do not cut them or pull them etc. as that will cause them to spread more rapidly. Barry

claire7275

I'm very new at this but the fellow who owns the local lfs told me today that you could inject the Aptasia with calcium to kill it. He compared it to overfertilizing a plant. What do the pros out there think of that idea?
Claire

imfsub12

please give me best ways right now... still in cycle...1st week..
i here turkey baster and HOT water..(do they let go? and you take them out and flush them)
peppermint shrimp?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by Claire7275
I'm very new at this but the fellow who owns the local lfs told me today that you could inject the Aptasia with calcium to kill it. He compared it to overfertilizing a plant. What do the pros out there think of that idea?
Claire
yes that works but the origanal thread stated they could not inject for some reason

hot883

Some can be rid of quickly by boiling water shot at them with a turkey baster. Some are a little harder as they are in hard to reach spots etc. Those will have to be dealt with differently. Move the rock where you can get at it and thry the boiling water shot OR using "Joes Juice" or "Aiptasia Rid". I have heard of people mixing up kalkwasher paste or super strength calcium. I do not like those 2 methods as they will mess with your levels. Barry

alyssia

The peppermints I've tried have never touched the aiptasia. Kalk didn't work for me and neither did boiling water. Joe's Juice got rid of them temporarily but they came right back. The only thing that has worked for me is lemon juice.

ghola5

im going to take the rock out and get them off the rock and then i guess just spot kill the others, some are in really hard spots and one is growing on my conch's shell, its so funny to see him moving with a little tree growing on him. Its funny to think i thought they where something good all this time.

alyssia

Originally Posted by ghola5
im going to take the rock out and get them off the rock and then i guess just spot kill the others, some are in really hard spots and one is growing on my conch's shell, its so funny to see him moving with a little tree growing on him. Its funny to think i thought they where something good all this time.

I thought they were good at first too. That's what the lfs told me.

weatherman

I have been told, and have seen it MYSELF, that a Klein's Butterfly Fish will get rid of it. I had quite a bit at one time, and within a couple of days IT WAS GONE............TOTALLY!

Hope this helps. JMO