Help me find the right college, I give up

T

touchthesky00

hey everyone
im a junior in high school and ive been exhausting myself in this college search process. im just in the steps of finding prospective colleges and visiting them if possible. i cant seem to find the right one. so i though id post here and try to get some input from other people from your experiences with colleges you attended or visitied.
to help i guess ill give a brief description of what im looking for in a college:
campus
-traditional buildings, a lot of open area, grass (lol), quads, minimum modern looking buildings
- i hate the city
i wouldnt mind my college being in the middle of nowhere
i want a school where the students are into the sports and have a lot of pride
- an example i like to refer to is penn state football white-outs
size of the school isnt really important but i guess im leaning towards a bigger school
i want a recognizeable school. not one where you tell someone and they have to ask where the heck is it.
a school with big time D1 sports
the things that i stress the most are the traditional campus, NO CITY!, and sport scene
im sorry if this is really confusing
thank you so much if you choose to give me some imput, i greatly appreciate anything!!!

T

touchthesky00

well ya i know that
i was just asking for people to recommend colleges, then i planned on investigating further to see if they had my major and what not
but yes my majors im interested in are zoology and history

al mc

North Carolina or Duke: Big time sports, smaller city, nice campuses
"Middle of no where/no city...but smaller sports...Colby (maine), Bowdoin,
Amherst, Ithaca College...all excellent schools academically
Ivy's: Cornell or Dartmouth..slightly larger city..Princeton...other Ivys have big cities
I know there are many good southerm, mid western and west coast schools, but I know east coast better

demartini

go to collegeboard.com they have a little thing that helps match you with some colleges you may like.
I go to San Francisco state and it's soooooo crowded!! otherwise it's a really cool school and the professors I've had are all awesome ( thanks to RateMyProfessors.com lol).

earlybird

You have to visit schools. I would check out SEC schools. Most are not in large cities and they are in the south with very open campuses. I'm biased because I went to Florida and majored in history. True fact about UF- The area of all the parking lots at UF is larger than the entire campus of FSU. I don't know if you are a male or female but males have it good at SEC schools as the women are amazing

renogaw

worcester polytechnic institute.
OLD style campus, huge grassy areas everywhere. it IS in the middle of a city, but worcester is an old city and honestly sorta a dump, but decent.

renogaw

Originally Posted by touchthesky00
http:///forum/post/2538578
but yes my majors im interested in are zoology and history
hmm, WPI won't help with either of those, but they can teach you to be a biological engineer.
not sure what jobs history will get you.

kjr_trig

I would look at Clemson University (in S. Carolina) based on what you have said, small town, great weather, big time sports with crazy fans (death valley is one of the best places to watch a football game), beautiful campus.

itom37

Everybody knows that the best school that mostly fits those criteria is Clemson. The football atmosphere is excellent and gets better every year, people are nutty about most sports, the campus is beautiful, it's rural, the extracurricular atmosphere is really fun and diverse, and the academics are plenty good (some areas more than others). I doubt we have zoology, and not everyone is going to know where it is (but that's the case with most schools whose name does not give up its location). Anyway, it's awesome, consider it.

itom37

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2538872
I would look at Clemson University (in S. Carolina) based on what you have said, small town, great weather, big time sports with crazy fans (death valley is one of the best places to watch a football game), beautiful campus.
As I was typing... amazing.

rylan1

Originally Posted by touchthesky00
http:///forum/post/2538549
hey everyone
im a junior in high school and ive been exhausting myself in this college search process. im just in the steps of finding prospective colleges and visiting them if possible. i cant seem to find the right one. so i though id post here and try to get some input from other people from your experiences with colleges you attended or visitied.
to help i guess ill give a brief description of what im looking for in a college:
campus
-traditional buildings, a lot of open area, grass (lol), quads, minimum modern looking buildings
- i hate the city
i wouldnt mind my college being in the middle of nowhere
i want a school where the students are into the sports and have a lot of pride
- an example i like to refer to is penn state football white-outs
size of the school isnt really important but i guess im leaning towards a bigger school
i want a recognizeable school. not one where you tell someone and they have to ask where the heck is it.
a school with big time D1 sports
the things that i stress the most are the traditional campus, NO CITY!, and sport scene
im sorry if this is really confusing
thank you so much if you choose to give me some imput, i greatly appreciate anything!!!

Northern Illinois
Univ of Illinois
Penn State is pretty rural
Question is you have to look at affordability and how far you are willing to travel..

kerriann

collegeprowler.com - gives you everything about the schools from the students perspectives. you can search by major, region, size, etc. pretty good little site

sigmachris

University of Miami Ohio could fit the bill too. Its got the brick building campus with a college feel. Football (Ben Rothlesburger is an alum) and basketball have some good years but nowhere near the an SEC school. It is also only 5 hours away by car so you can get home for a quick visit easiily.

mfp1016

Unless you're going to play, I would recommend going to a university that has a good career center for your major. Football fandom isn't that important in the long run.

natemd

Originally Posted by itom37
http:///forum/post/2538875
Everybody knows that the best school that mostly fits those criteria is Clemson. The football atmosphere is excellent and gets better every year, people are nutty about most sports, the campus is beautiful, it's rural, the extracurricular atmosphere is really fun and diverse, and the academics are plenty good (some areas more than others). I doubt we have zoology, and not everyone is going to know where it is (but that's the case with most schools whose name does not give up its location). Anyway, it's awesome, consider it.
Back when I was in college I took a nice 13 hour train ride to clemson to visit friends and watch Maryland play Clemson in basketball and I was blown away. If I had made that trip before I started college I would be a clemson Alumni right now. The campus is amazing, the buldings and lay out are exactly what I think of when I think of what a college should look like. The atmosphere was awsome, nice people, lots of people, crazy about sports. There was a small town right off campus if I remember correctly but its not a big city like some schools have.

wangotango

Penn State is great school as well. The University Park campus, where I'll be going this fall, is just beautiful.
I agree that you should look at your finances and what you want to major in and focus less on looks.
-Justin