Help me make my first SWA

jbrownacu

I have a 20 gallon aquarium that I am going to change from FW to SW. I have had a FW tank for too many years now and since I'm done with school finally and settled down I decided to give a SWA a shot! Here is the equipment that I have or I am going to get. Is there anything in the list you would change, need to get, or I just dont need at all? Also, how much LS and LR will I be needing to get? Thanks for you help!
Hagen AquaClear Powerhead Multifunctional Water Pump 50
Berlin Air-Lift 60 Internal Protein Skimmer
Aquarium Systems Instant Ocean Hydrometer
Oceanic Natural Sea Salt Mix 50g
Hagen AquaClear 50 Aquarium Power Filter
Tetra Whisper Air Pump
Marineland® Visi-Therm® Stealth Submersible Aquarium Heaters 200watt

fedukeford

To save yourself the trouble, get a refractometer instead of the hydrometer. You may also want to look into a auto top off system. Around 1-2 Lbs of rock is good, and 10-15 Lbs of sand for a shallow sand bed

J

jesses89

you dont need an auto top of system... but if your lazy and want something to top off your aquarium water(tank loses water due to evaporation... remember.. it loses WATER not SALT... so as water level goes down... your specific gravity/salinity goes up... therefore you need to add new freshwater to it.. NOT more saltwater..)... and an auto top off system does this for you.. but you can do it yourself.
i agree on the refractometer, much more accurate than a hydrometer...
and in my opinion... "Instant Ocean" salt mix is the best.. and its cheaper.
what do you want that air pump for? is it to run your skimmer?
you also need a test kit.. that tests pH, Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates
you might want to look at getting a better filtration system.(Canister filters/wet dry filters)
you also need some kind of a thermometer
Remember.. no crushed coral.... Live sand Yes
anything i forgot? anyone feel free to add.

jbrownacu

oh ok, i got it now. i can just add water no problem.
most of the stuff on the list is what i was using in my FW tank, so i just added on a few things that i needed to get started on the SW. airpump is for the skimmer, that will work for it correct? i dont understand exactly how a skimmer works yet, but that is the airpump i have already so im assuming it will work.
what type of filter will i need for a 20g tank? im not really wanting to upgrade unless i really need to. im trying to keep this as inexpensive as possible (even though this is an expensive hobby).
i will get a refractometer since i plan to make this a long term thing, and i will add a test kit as well. thermometer i have already.
if someone can help explain the filter situation that would be great! thanks for the info!

jbrownacu

also i am wanting to have soft coral in this tank but my lighting system only allows for one flourescent light bulb. will i be ok with just one 15watt 10000k coralife bulb? ive read the posts here on lighting but im still just a little confused because i cant afford a MH system.
if you have a suggestion, i can hold one 18" bulb. feel free to email me as well.

bang guy

The skimmer you listed is junk. You're not going to be happy with it. I've always built my own so I'm not a good person to ask what's a good one for your system. Perhaps a Bak-Pak or some other hang-on.
Instead of a single 200 watt heater I'd recommend two 50 watt heaters. If a 200 watt heater fails in the on position then it's going to cook your animals.
A new hood for your tank that allows more and better lighting. A 15 watt bulb isn't going to cut it for corals. You'll want at least 90 watts IMO.
And most important, a good book.

bang guy

Originally Posted by jbrownacu
problem is how do i get a better lighting system without spending hundreds of dollars?
This is an expensive hobby.
There are options though.
You can build your own canopy.
You can buy a used pendant. I'd suggest a 150watt HQI.
Here's a pic of something I made to hold 3 30 watt VHO bulbs for a 10 gallon tank. I later modified it to hold 4 for a total of 120 watts.

jbrownacu

what if i upgraded to have 2 x 18" tubes? that would give me 30w for 15" deep tank? will that cut it for very easy maintainable corals?

opus18

Plain fluorescent lighting just doesn't have the power that the corals will need. I had to buckle down and buy minimal lighting for mine... Coralife Dual PC 96. Even with that, I cannot host some corals I wish I could... with my lights, I currently have a bubble, a fox, red mushrooms, green ricordias, and a green frogspawn. When I build a real canopy for my tank (46G bow-front) I plan to add in a pair of MH so I can really get things going in my tank.
Don't consider the few hundred $$ for good lighting a cost... It is merely the tip of the iceberg with this hobby... I personally just crossed the $3K mark for everything... This of course includes SW from the LFS for water changes... I track it all...

bang guy

Originally Posted by jbrownacu
what if i upgraded to have 2 x 18" tubes? that would give me 30w for 15" deep tank? will that cut it for very easy maintainable corals?
Measure your tank for me. I'll see what I can find for used parts in my storage.

jbrownacu

inside of tank where you set the hood is 23 1/4" x 11 1/2". measuring from the outside edges of tank is 24 1/4" x 12 1/2" if that makes sense. the tank is 17" tall.
wow thanks for going through all of the trouble for me!
also my email is jcbrownacu@gmail.com if that makes it easier to communicate.

cmc3502

i'm somewhat new myself, but for his 20 gallon could he use the skilter skimmer 250? I made the mistake of getting one for my 40 gallon, but would that work for just a 20? other than the loud noise it makes....?

bang guy

Originally Posted by cmc3502
other than the loud noise it makes....?
Let me guess, you're not in sales...

Hopefully someone with current knowledge of off-the-shelf skimmers can help here.

drewissett

The skimmer he has is fine for a 20 Gal.
I run one on my 25 and it skimms very nicely... never had a problem, and the thak is always clear...
IMO a hang on like a tetra, or a prizm would just be overskimming and
wasting water on something as small as a 20.
Also, make sure to get Live rock, and sand (Live sand is even better).
Always ask first, There is so much wisdom and experince on this site,
and it will save you big $$.
Have fun! Its a great hobby!

jbrownacu

im interested in the lighting bang...i sent you an email to the address that was in the lighting post.
i think i will just go for that cheap skimmer and see how it works out. and i do like cmc's sales pitch! haha!!!