Help Me Pick Out a Tang

kevin34

Also can anyone tell me how hard powder blues really are to keep? I know that they have a reputation of getting ich very easily but would one be ok being 1 of only 2 large fish in a 125 and given the proper diet of algea soaked in garlic?

lazypinoy

Originally Posted by Kevin34
Also can anyone tell me how hard powder blues really are to keep? I know that they have a reputation of getting ich very easily but would one be ok being 1 of only 2 large fish in a 125 and given the proper diet of algea soaked in garlic?
they are pretty hard. it took me 3 tries to keep one. the tricky part is getting them to eat. i was lucky when i found mine eating at the lfs. i think the smaller/medium ones are the best choice to start with.

sc0rp_xiii

achilles are even harder to keep then the powder blue from what I have read. Although they are a very beautiful fish

J

jamparty

i wouldn't suggest powder blue or achilles tbh...
if you're looking for an easy tang to care for that is..
go with a sailfin, yellow, hippo (or yellow belly), kole, or a naso.
IMO those are some of the easiest tangs to care for.
on the other hand..if you really want to shell out the dough for it..
go for a black long nose ^_^ but you won't find them for anything cheaper than 295. :p they look just like a yellow tang with a slightly longer snout and they're all black --> very hardy fish might I add and not as aggressive as a purple.
just remember, don't mix same body types becuase if you do, even the least aggressive tangs will become cereal killers.
good luck!

N

nereef

Originally Posted by JamParty
just remember, don't mix same body types becuase if you do, even the least aggressive tangs will become cereal killers.
good luck!
not me'lucky charms!

Originally Posted by NEreef
not me'lucky charms!

I have a powder blue on its way to my doorstep right now :crossesfingers: I plan to baby him like a newborn every single day till he gets established. I think power blues are incredibly gorgeous.
Btw, the LFS had a powder blue and a sailfin in one tank... I wonder how they managed that...

2batrigger

purple tang or for something just a bit different a desjardni sailfin tang from the red sea. their color is just a little different the a regular sailfin and i have always liked them better but basically the same fish .

kevin34

Is the desjardini any bigger than the sailfin? I have never heard of them before. Are they easy to come across in stores?

2batrigger

Is the desjardini any bigger than the sailfin? I have never heard of them before. Are they easy to come across in stores?
The desjardini gets the same size as an adult as the regular sailfin tang. They are usually not to hard to come by if a store gets a somewhat regular shipments from the red sea. They are a blue gray where the others are browner. I look at the tang section here at saltwater.com and they have them availble for $40. Check'em out there excellent

<3scopas55

Go for a scopas!!! (go figure
) from my experience with them they are fairly hardy and are beautiful addition to any tank

2batrigger

Originally Posted by <3Scopas55
Go for a scopas!!! (go figure
) from my experience with them they are fairly hardy and are beautiful addition to any tank

may as well have a freshwater tank

kevin34

Originally Posted by 2batrigger
The desjardini gets the same size as an adult as the regular sailfin tang. They are usually not to hard to come by if a store gets a somewhat regular shipments from the red sea. They are a blue gray where the others are browner. I look at the tang section here at saltwater.com and they have them availble for $40. Check'em out there excellent
I do kinda like this fish. Do you have any experience with this fish?(or anyone else here?) If you have one now could you post a few pics?

2batrigger

I do kinda like this fish. Do you have any experience with this fish?(or anyone else here?) If you have one now could you post a few pics?
sorry no pics. Camera on the fritz. I have one now. I got it when it was the size of a quarter. As juve they are white with black stripes --zebra looking with other fins outlined yellow. cool looking and they change into the blue gray form. They are no problem to take care of. Eats everything from mysis, trigger food, angel butterfly, marine cuisine and of course brine. Like all tangs it loves the algae wafer sheets I rubberband to a rock. Will even hand feed on the algae ripping apart like a monkey on a cupcake.

2batrigger

What size tank do you have it in? Is it full grown now? How big is it?
It is in a 75 gal for now. I have had it 10 months and it has about tripled in size. so it is about 2.5 inches in total length and is in between its juv. and adult color stage which looks really nice. Get one you will not be disappointed.

jhebi

I have 9 tangs on my 135gl at home, but it was a mistake not knowing in the beginning when I started and I bought them all small sizes but the all grew so much now that I will exchange almost all of them before they outgrow my tank....REMEMBER, I was a novice and didn't know about anything but luckily they are all health and ich free.......PLEASE DONT DO THE SAME MISTAKE I DID.