Help me with a decision, please.

rwhite

We were at the LFS this afternoon and saw what was labeled as a red brittle. I wasnt sure if there was such a thing, could have just looked red for all I could see of it. Anyway, we've been thinking about adding a star and wanted some opinions/experiences with this type. Its definitely not green or yellow, could be just a reddish-brown. Probably going to go back tomorrow evening and was thinking about buying it. Let us know what ya'll think. Thanks!

h2oengr

We just got a sandsifting star about a week ago and really like it. It's out much more than we thought it would be.

reefer44

i really like the color on those stars..i had one but it died in a power outage.....it was just like the other serpents...it doesn't attempt to eat fish like the green brittle stars

rwhite

Not too much input coming in...:rolleyes:
Thanks H2O & r44, think we are going to get it but putting it off til the weekend. Just want to make sure its not a predator...unless it goes for the damsels! Just kidding:D We would never wish that on ANY fish.
So, its probably just a color variation and should be viewed as a standard brittle? Anyone...

rwhite

All right, its a go. Gonna pick it up tomorrow as long as its still there. Told my girl I wanted to add a star and she said "The red one?" I said yeah, but she thought I was talking about a serpent. She said "They're creepy looking" and I told her you prolly wont even see it, except for an arm here or there and the red serpent could get too big and aggressive for our little community. Its hard enough spot feeding corals, let alone a creature we may hardly see. Anyway, she's funny about reef stuff, but she sure enjoys what we maintain. Wish us luck and I'll try to get some pics before addition, just to see if its a true red or brown/red. Thanks everyone:D

bang guy

Hey cool! I had one of those in my first reef. It got to about 4 feet across tip to tip. It never harmed a thing. Great detrivore IME.

rwhite

Great! Thats just what we were looking for. We had a cyano outbreak so I wanted to supplement our crew. Added more hermits and this guy, of course feedings and light was adjusted also and I think we have it under control. Still have some on the substrate, but I think another water change and a bit more time will take care of the problem. The cyano never got to the LR, we're very happy about that. I think I'll post some pics of everything later, a new month so its time to do progress pics. Later!

h2oengr

I still think the brittles look like aliens.
The "classic" stars (linkias, red stars, etc.) seem more appealing to me - but I've heard they are so much harder to keep.
Good luck with your brittle purchase!