Help Missing fish????????

joeygood

Hi All,
I Hope someone can help me figure out what happened.. I have a LBJ 28g HQI set everything running well (pics of startup can be found here https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/348819/new-york-newbie-questions) I Have 2 False Pclowns, 1 Lownmower Blinny, 1 Long tentacle Ann @ hard Corals and some polyps, and i had 3 Green Chromies. This morning i woke up and took a look before feeding and i was missing 1 Green Chromie (the smallest of the 3). Now after searching all rocks for any movement displacement that might have happened i found nothing and went all out and crazy looking though filter media and skimmer and chiller and still nothing. I know for sure he was there the night before because i was looking at him plain as day. None of the other fish are aggressive at all and I'm just at my wits end about it

joeygood

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2978914
I would say check the floor, or say it got too close to the anemone..and got eaten
Thanks for the reply.
First thing i checked was the floor... but you know i thought the anemone could be the the cause after all the searching i did. One question though how long would it take for it to take it all in?

hlcroghan

Depends on the size of the anemone and if you have a cuc, it could take a matter of any hours or so and it could be completely gone......look for a white skeleton......that may be left.

nanomantis

If it died in the tank it wouldn't last long anyways; especially something with as little mass as a chromis. We're all food for somebody in the end.

dreamweaver

Frankly, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but my experience with "chromis reduction" was not good.... I started out with 3 - all placed in the tank at the same time and soon ended up with only 2... the smallest being the one killed... found the body after noticing it was missing... The two remaining have done well. ALWAYS together - whether in rock crevices or in the open... Since my other fish have never bothered the chromis along with the fact that the 2 remaining are inseparable, I've always assumed that the 2 didn't like the "third wheel"....... One of the 2 remaining is slightly larger - so it might be a male and female (?) - and maybe that also is a factor.....

joeygood

I want to thank all that replied.
Did more searching for any bones or something but found nothing. The other fish are doing fine. I thought by feeding the anemones this would not happen but i guess i got a greedy one