help.. my blue hippo is eating my snails

i've been missing my dump truck load of snails one by one... well now i seen my blue hippo picking em up by the bottoms and i guess sucking them out :( Has anyone seen or heard of this... wt hell... am I not feeding him enough protein ? Please help. These snails cost some bucks and ass up lol

I do have hermits Blue and Red..... at first i thought he was just moving them and playgin with them but as i watch closely he is wedgin his nose underneath them and sucking on the bottom of em as he carries em.... This is a first for me too... maybe he isn't eating them. I haven't actually seen him pull one out yet but i'm almost positive this is whats happening. I jsut ordered these things two weeks ago and one by one i keep seeing more empty shells.. . When I first seen him carrying them , I thought it was cute and maybe he was just moving them away from his rock work. No.. this isn't hte case...

I'm telling you. If you could only see him doing this. I wish I could catch it on camera and then youtube it for you to see..... why else would they all be missing and why else would he be coming to front of tank where they are all laying and picking them up by the bottom and ddraggin them across the tank as he's suckin on the bottom (trying to pull them out in my opinion) He is about 6" in length. So pretty strong fella

lion_crazz

I have actually heard of this. A good friend of mine actually traded his hippo into his LFS because it was wiping out his clean-up crew.
Another friend of mine got rid of his sailfin and foxface because he saw both of them rip at his corals multiple times.
Strange things do happen...

nycbob

i hv to agree with crazz. i had a sailfin in the past that would pick at all of my clams constantly. i literally had to take all the rocks out to catch it.

fishieness

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/3057495
I have actually heard of this. A good friend of mine actually traded his hippo into his LFS because it was wiping out his clean-up crew.
Another friend of mine got rid of his sailfin and foxface because he saw both of them rip at his corals multiple times.
Strange things do happen...
I've had someone bring a hippo back to the store I worked at because he swore this was happening. I had a bit of trouble believing him since they are primarily algae eaters by nature. haha. That was the only other time I've ever heard of it.

this has to be whats happening. I was wondering what the hell was going on... why all these were coming up missing. I guess I found out my answer. You think maybe feeding him more of a protein diet would help? Gees. Should I throw cut up pieces of steak in there. lol What is he thinking. He gets fed well. Lil shyt haha This is just weird. Noone wanted to believe me at first. I"m glad I've had people that have heard of it. Hmmm what to do from here. He is my favorite fish so gettin rid of him Hmmmm isnt' an option at this point. But if i can't keep my tank maintained due to not being able to keep a clean up crew i'm screwed. Any suggestions ?