Help, Not sure why but Ick is back!

Okay, most of you know that I have been using hypo since my 92 gallon crashed due to ich, every fish died except a flame hawk. I took him out and used hypo on him, he never showed any signs of ich or distress. I left the DT empty for 8 weeks. I put him in the tank and he has been fine, no signs of ich-that was 5 weeks ago. I purchased a new Kole Tang and very small neon goby and did hypo for 4 weeks, I even through an extra week in there for extra safety. I put him in finally on Saturday and today he is showing white spots on his body. The neon goby is attaching itself to it nearly constantly.
I checked the water constantly and it stayed below 1.009 except once it hit 1.010 for a few hours. That is really why I added an extra week for safety. I checked the fish every day and they never showed any spots at all...
What should I do? Take them out, use copper instead, buy some shrimp and hope for the best not QT them???? I don't want them to die again, any help I would so appreciate....

subee950

Remember you can not put copper base meds in your tank if you have live rock inverts exc. it will kill everything I had a puffer that got it before here is your best bet they make a garlic solution get it and you and add it directly to your tank or they way I did it is soak his food in it and spot feed him that is the best way it works takes just a few days. If you don’t have any other fish with ich then it’s a good chance that it’s a stress related problem. But I would get the garlic it really works. I just found the kind I have check it out.
SeaChem Garlic Guard 250ml
$ 6.99
GarlicGuard™ is an appetite/flavor enhancer for freshwater and saltwater fish. GarlicGuard™ will help renew the interest of poor or finicky eaters. GarlicGuard™ contains the naturally derived, active ingredient found in garlic, allicin, which has been demonstrated to possess health promoting benefits. Allicin possesses strong anti-oxidant properties (similar to Vitamin C) which promote enhanced health through elimination of dangerous free radicals. For enhanced health benefits, GarlicGuard™ also contains Vitamin C. Freshwater and Marine. Reef safe.
DIRECTIONS: Shake well before use. Soak food in GarlicGuard™ before feeding. For enhanced effectiveness against Ich and other parasites use Seachem’s Focus™ and Metronidazole as follows: Add 1 measure of Metronidazole to 1 measure of Focus™ per tablespoon of frozen food. Completely soak this food mix in GarlicGuard™, refrigerate, and feed once or twice daily for 1–2 weeks.
Guaranteed Analysis
garlic extract
9900 ppm
allicin (active ingredient)
130 ppm
Vitamin C

subee950

Remember you can not put copper base meds in your tank if you have live rock inverts exc. it will kill everything I had a puffer that got it before here is your best bet they make a garlic solution get it and you and add it directly to your tank or they way I did it is soak his food in it and spot feed him that is the best way it works takes just a few days. If you don’t have any other fish with ich then it’s a good chance that it’s a stress related problem. But I would get the garlic it really works. I just found the kind I have check it out.
SeaChem Garlic Guard 250ml
GarlicGuard™ is an appetite/flavor enhancer for freshwater and saltwater fish. GarlicGuard™ will help renew the interest of poor or finicky eaters. GarlicGuard™ contains the naturally derived, active ingredient found in garlic, allicin, which has been demonstrated to possess health promoting benefits. Allicin possesses strong anti-oxidant properties (similar to Vitamin C) which promote enhanced health through elimination of dangerous free radicals. For enhanced health benefits, GarlicGuard™ also contains Vitamin C. Freshwater and Marine. Reef safe.
DIRECTIONS: Shake well before use. Soak food in GarlicGuard™ before feeding. For enhanced effectiveness against Ich and other parasites use Seachem’s Focus™ and Metronidazole as follows: Add 1 measure of Metronidazole to 1 measure of Focus™ per tablespoon of frozen food. Completely soak this food mix in GarlicGuard™, refrigerate, and feed once or twice daily for 1–2 weeks.
Guaranteed Analysis
garlic extract
9900 ppm
allicin (active ingredient)
130 ppm
Vitamin C

barracuda1

sorry, a few more questions do the spots look flat? do they look like they could be internal bumps? Finally do they have white areas around them?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are the spots like grains of salt, or do they have any irregular shape to them at all?
What are you using to measure salinity?

The spots look like grains of salt, on the surface of the fish definately, like if you touched them you could feel it I think. There are more now then there were a few hours ago when I orginally posted, isn't that too quick...?
We are using a refractometer that we ordered the last time when our tank crashed with ich.
The flamehawk still isn't presenting with any spots at all, looks fine.

barracuda1

ALERT!!! ACT FAST! Fish has Amyloodinium. kills very quick. Quarantine and treat with a dip of the following; methylene blue and fresh water for 1 minute get back to me after this ps make sure no copper is used treating

sepulatian

Originally Posted by confusedfishy
http:///forum/post/2679061
The spots look like grains of salt, on the surface of the fish definately, like if you touched them you could feel it I think. There are more now then there were a few hours ago when I orginally posted, isn't that too quick...?
We are using a refractometer that we ordered the last time when our tank crashed with ich.
The flamehawk still isn't presenting with any spots at all, looks fine.
That sounds like ich. The fish can be treated with copper in your QT.
Have you added any new rock, coral, anything non fish since the hawk has been back in there?

Originally Posted by Barracuda1
http:///forum/post/2679169
ALERT!!! ACT FAST! Fish has Amyloodinium. kills very quick. Quarantine and treat with a dip of the following; methylene blue and fresh water for 1 minute get back to me after this ps make sure no copper is used treating
Are there any pictures of fish with this so I can compare?
Also, Sep.-I added some corals a week before I added the fish, but I have a seperate QT for my corals now and I QT them for 3 weeks before adding. I thought that was the right way to do those...?

barracuda1

look, they say ick I say it's Amyloodinium. But the only fact is the fish is going to die soon unless u act. So the Qt and dip recomended earlier will help kill both diseases So that is my recommendation and it should help Please respond

al mc

http:///forum/post/2679505
look, they say ick I say it's Amyloodinium. But the only fact is the fish is going to die soon unless u act. So the Qt and dip recomended earlier will help kill both diseases So that is my recommendation and it should help Please respond
Barracuda.....What is the exact treatment course you suggest if this is
Amyloodinium (Marine Velvet)? A dip may reduce numbers but can't eliminate the parasite by itself since it is an 'encrusting' one, like Marine Ich.

I have been out looking for treatment supplies, couldn't find anything, lfs was closed already. I am going to try to catch the fish and put in QT and try the freshwater dip. I am going to try some fresh garlic with nori also, the tank is full of hair algae so that is what they have been eating since I put them in two days ago. Any other suggestions?

barracuda1

No matter what this is dips slow/stop progression giving time to mail order specialized medication(s) to cover both diseases so order/buy ASAP Special notes; No copper/get meth.blue/ dips 3 times daily untill medicated then stop dip/Get meds that cover both velvet and ich NOW(better if only 1 med is used/ keep posted please

barracuda1

Now confusedfishy and AL MC my recomendation for a medicine would be malachite green but wait till I can verify this

sepulatian

http:///forum/post/2679682
Now confusedfishy and AL MC my recomendation for a medicine would be malachite green but wait till I can verify this
Can you post some information that says Malachite will treat both? Malachite does not treat marine ich, let alone marine velvet. Copper is the treatment for both. Tangs most certainly can be treated with copper. I believe AL MC can attest to that.

Okay, well I have gotten all of the fish out of the tank, the neon goby, the Kole Tang, and the strongest and fastest hawkfish ever. My tank set up is ruined but maybe I can keep the fish alive.
Now-looking at pictures and symptom lists it looks like ich vs. the marine velvet. Should I use the copper in the QT or should I try the hypo again. You can't do both can you? I did do a freshwater dip although I didn't leave the Kole in the entire 5 minutes because he was laying on the bottom after 1 minute. I was torn and feared he would be dead before 5 minutes. I could start the salinity for hypo tonight but I can't start the copper until 10:30 tomorrow morning. Store opens at 10:00 and I can't get there and back before 10:30.
I can't believe 3 months later I am in the same place I was before. I can't understand what I did wrong. I feel sick!