Help on buying light bulbs.

spanko

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/3135915
Actinics don't put out much useful light. It's mostly invisible light that causes corals to fluoresce.
In the end, switching to more actinics will make your tank look bluer, but much darker.
Unfortunately it sounds like you bought one of those oddball fixtures sold by Big Als's, Aqua Traders, etc that take equally oddball lamps, so you may not have many choices.
You may consider going ahead and upgrading to an industry standard T5 system, rather than pouring more money into weird lamps that aren't exactly what you want.
The nice thing about the industry standard lamps is that everyone makes them, so you have more choices.
Agree here, hit it right on the head. However if you are going to keep the fixture you have and not do any additions to it I would go for (2) - 10k/actinic combos. This will give you more white - less yellow than you have and will spread the blue out a bit more making more pleasing to the eye.
JMO

katsafados

Thanks guys.
Yeah Henry I was thinking the same thing. Right now my actinics are towards the back of the fixture and the whites are up at front. With the half and half combo I was thinking the light would mix better.
This combo will still be enough "usefull" light for the corals to grow right?

spanko

Yup.
You will get "faster" growth with the 10k lights than having the actinics, as SCSI talked about. So you could put a 10k/actinic combo light in the front with the actinic part of the bulb being the at the very front. Then put a straight 10k at the back. This would help the coral grow faster, still give you some blue light at the front which may fool the eye a bit. However in a 10 gallon tank I am not sure how fast you want the coral to grow anyway.

katsafados

Not very fast at all! haha
Not that I think of it, if I get the 50/50 combo then I wont be able to crontoll it the way I have it now.
Actinics on at 7am
Whites on ay 1pm
whites off at 10pm
actinics off at 12am
Moonlights on at 12am -7am
I wont have the individual blue lights on anymore with the 50/50. But if white light makes my corals healthier, then I think I might need some moding to my light schedual.
What do you think?
Sorry for the duumb/lots of questions, but lighting for tanks gets me confused a little, especially reef lighting.

katsafados

So say you were in my possition, what would you do?
The corals are fine with the lights I have now, but I just wanted it a little bluer.
Would you bother changing anything, or just leave it alone?
I was thinking of putting the actinics to the front(since they are in the back right now) to see if it will look bluer. I'll try that before switching any lights.

scsinet

I would think about limping along on the lights you have now. Use the money to start saving for an upgraded fixture.
If that's not possible... then spanko's idea sounds interesting.

spanko

Yeah move the actinic to the front and see how it looks to you. Additionally I would get rid of the 40 watt Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k, square pin and go with a straight 10k bulb. I think the yellow of the 6700 is throwing your eyes off.

katsafados

Okay sounds good.
I cant seem to find a straihgt 10,000 k bulb though. There all mixed when there 40watts. I'll keep looking.

calbert0

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3135868
Yup they do but not for 40watt. I looks on big als site and another I always buy off. I dont know any other sites.
Would this work?
40 watt SmartPaq 10,000k Daylight/460nm Actinic, square pin
40 watt Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm, square pin
So now I'll have 3 bulbs that are actinic and 1 thats white?

thats the exact setup i have and it works great for softies, LPS, and SPS in my tank. SUNPAQ bulbs are among the highest quality in power compacts if you ask me
edit... i also have a straight 420m actinic light.

calbert0

Obviously i have a lot more LPS than SPS but there are still a few sps tucked in there...
these pics were takin about 4 months ago.... and even after a move from southern indiana to Chicago everything is still doing fine and continues to show growth and great color
29 gallon DT tank by the way
oh and Iphones take surprisingly good pictures... :)
one more quick edit... mine arent 40 watt they are 65w

katsafados

Nice tank!
and your using the 5050 with the full actinics? Theres still enough usable whit elight for growth? It give you a bluer colour also?

calbert0

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3137362
Nice tank!
and your using the 5050 with the full actinics? Theres still enough usable whit elight for growth? It give you a bluer colour also?

I use one 10,000k/460nm 50/50, one dual actinic, and one straight 420nm.
As was stated earlier in the thread, the 420nm does not bring much visible brightness to the tank (sometimes you even question if its working right because the bulb itself looks dim to the human eye) but it brings the brightness of your corals out over time.
however i am currently thinking about ditching the 50/50 P.C and getting a 10,000k 175 watt metal halide and then running two dual actinics on either side of it.
but like i said, the Power Compacts are what have been sustaining the above posted tank for over a year.
i am just leaning towards the MH because i want to keep more difficult SPS and some Clams, plus i just started a frag tank that i would like to use the extra PC's for