Help on Equipment needed

saltyfish

Hi there I'm a fresh water hobest wanting to go into salt water. I need some info on what special equipment that I need to get that a fresh water tank set-up needs to go saltwater. I'm kinda looking for a list of stuff that I need to go out and buy to add to the stuff I already have. I have only a ten gallen long tank and will eventually get a bigger one. I also want to start fish-only and then graduate on to a coral-tank and want comunity fish not agressive and don't know very much about any of this. So if anyone can help it would be much apreated. I aspecally need some help on the filtering system because i have a filter that hanges on the back and pores the water back into the tank. Is this adaquate for now ?
Aaron

wamp

Not to say anything bad about small tanks, but (you knew there would be one), That small of a tank is going to be pretty dificult for a begineer. Water chemistry is the most dificult part of a salt tank. It needs to be close to perfect. In a small tank it is harder to regulate due to the fact of lack of volume. A small amount of evaporation will equal big changes in the salinity. Not to mention overfeeding and overcrowding in a tank of that size.
I would suggest starting with a bigger tank. Also, good books are tough to beat. You will get alot of ideas here, thats what makes it great, but sometimes you get too many. It is best to start with your own idea and then rob parts of other ideas and apply them to yours.
Good Luck

saltyfish

ok so what about like a 29 gal would that be better? Is Live Rock a proper filtration or do you need a secoundary one as well. This is a Fish-Only tank here so do I need a Skimmer or can i get away with not having one?

cathys

WHAT EXACTLY DO YOU MEAN BY LIVE ROCK BEING FILTRATION?
THIS SITE WILL GIVE YOU LOTS OF INFO RESEARCH EVERYTHING OR YOU WILL THINK YOU SAVED MONEY BY TAKING A CHEAPER ROUTE WHEN IT WILL CAUSE YOU $ WHEN YOU LOSE FISH OR HAVING TO REPLACE SOMETHING THAT ISNT REALLY DOING THE PROPER JOB
I HAVE A 75 GAL TANK JUST ADDED MY 5TH FISH TODAY I HAVE HAD NO LOSS SO FAR I SPENT 4 MONTHS RESEARHING ASKING ALOT OF QUESTIONS BEFORE I PURCHASED ANYTHING & ITS PAYED OFF I'M ENJOYING THIS HOBBY & DONT FIND IT DIFFICULT AT ALL TO MAINTAIN, EVEN WITH 3 SMALL KIDS.
TAKE YOUR TIME & ASK ALOT OF QUESTIONS, GOOD LUCK

saltyfish

OK I've been hearing that alot though I don't really have the room for a 55 gal or better right now. I also don't know what a deal on the price is on one of those beasts are. Care to help me with a price range? Also what is the diferance between a water pump and a power head? Is there a diferance?
Aaron

saltyfish

When it comes to heaters can you ever have too many watts? I know the rule is 200 per 100 gal. but if I plan on getteing a bigger tank at some point can you use a high wattage heater and be ok?

bang guy

Originally posted by professer21:
<strong>When it comes to heaters can you ever have too many watts? I know the rule is 200 per 100 gal. but if I plan on getteing a bigger tank at some point can you use a high wattage heater and be ok?</strong><hr></blockquote>
I wouldn't do it.
When heaters fail they either don't come on or don't go off. If you have two 50 watt heaters in a 29 and one fails to come on you won't have any problem at all. If one fails to go off your temp will be a few degrees high until you unplug it. If you have one 300 watt heater and it doesn't come on your tank will get chilly. If it fails to go off you'll cook your tank.
Just my $0.02

saltyfish

OK so in a 55 gal tank what is the differance between pre drilled and not pre drilled. what does that mean and what does it do ?

joerdie

drilled is when there is a hole in the back of the tank near the top so that water can fall into the sump. if a tank isnt drilled you have to but an overflow box witch are expensive for what they are (unless you use a canister, and i dont recomend that) here is the thing though. are you sitting down? :D once you get to the 55g and bigger you are in a new arena of filteration. you are probably going to need a wet/dry sump with a skimmer, enough sand to make a dsb, among other things. dont think that just because i said to get all of thise things that you have to do things that way but i have been doing this for a while and its mo!!! good luck!!

saltyfish

What is a sump? and what is it for? Is a wet/dry filter the same as a wet/dry sump? The reason I'm asking is that the wet/dry filter that I priced was less exspencive than the cilender filter that I priced. Now the clinder was rated at 100 gal and the wet /dry was up to 60 gal . So what is the deal?
Aaron

bang guy

Professor - If you're going to use live sand I can't see any reason why you need any other filter.
I think you still want a sump to hide heaters and add water volume, etc. but live sand will provide all the filtration you need as long as it has a good population of worms and 'pods.
My first tank was not pre-drilled.... I will never do that again. ;)

richard rendos

just a side note...
Cathys - WHEN YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS, that is considered YELLING! I am not trying to be mean or anything but it is kinda rude.

bartman

Professor, something to consider before you make the plunge. You have not even mentioned "lighting" and that my friend is a big bang to the wallet. Sounds to me that you are where i was about a year ago and i still have yet to get all the equiptment needed. Last year bought a tank and said "and you shall be a reef tank, so it is writen so it shall be done". Well let me tell you. I have to keep going to pet shop to remind myself why i am doing it. The cost is quite extensive. When it is all said and done i will have spent almost $1000.00 or so dollars. Do the research. Make a gameplan. These boards are great but one day you may read something that totally contradicts what you read the day before. I am a bonified n00b when it comes to reefs and i have been reading about them every day, just about,and the more i read the less i know :) . There are many many many variations and possibillites to go with on your tank. Just to give you an idea here are some prices of some of the major stuff bought so far.
75 gal tank

[hr]
$100 (was on sale)
materials for stand--$100 (aprox)
time spent building tank stand--20 hours (about)
ehiem canister filter----$230 (could have gotten cheaper on internet but messed that one up)
220 wt Power compact lights w/ acetenics (the blue bulbs)----$300
friend gave me a protein skimmer
now keep in mind i still have a LOOOONNNGGGGG way to go still. some thing i still have left
powerheads
sand ---$40 or so/ 50 lb bag (this is just sand its not live)coralife i think is the brand
cured rocks (to be seeded by live rocks) 40 or so pounds----1.50 / lb
live rock 40 or so pounds

[hr]
about 6.00/ pound
r/o filter----anywhere from $75 (bare bones model) to $300 or so
if you havent noticed yet. I have not even gotten to the expense of stocking your tank with all the goodies. You know FISH and stuff :)
i am sure there are a couple more items i am forgeting but i think this gives you an idea of what you have ahead of you if you wish to follow the reef path. If you arent bit yet then RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!
Just kidding. I hope this can give you a realistic look at just the financial end of the tank. Dont be like me and think "Hey i have the tank. THATS the hard part." LOL YEAH RIGHT ;)

mjohns37

I have been reading all the replys to the professor and was wondering when it comes to sand and fish can you get it from the gulf?( if you live close enough to the water). I am a scuba diver and I know enough to not touch natural coral but the other stuff I am not sure about. Also if you do catch your own fish can you use gulf water as well?

saltyfish

I am well aware the cost and i am focausing on the tank right now i've not studied on the fish yet. i'm going to make my pruchases one by one until i have it together. i'm not worried about the fish yet. I would like to hear about your refrance to seeding cured rock. is that diferent the LR? and how do you clean your tank really well ? in freash water you suction the rocks and stuff but if you do that to sand or ls are you taking the live out of it???