Help!! Red bubble algae outta control!

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by Aztec Reef
If it was me i would take out all the live rock ,Kill it (boile it or bleach it or however you wanna kill it). then put it back in the tank, it will be pretty much base rock but it will become live again..That's what i would do..
That sounds like an easier idea than having to break it all down and start over, but would it work? Wouldn't the spores already be in the tank, in the water, on the equipment, etc.?

tx reef

The problem with that is the spores are already in the the tank. The red bubbles will show up again.....

reefreak29

i had this red bubble algea in my tank tiil about 2 months after setting up my refugium. it went away on its own

tx reef

Originally Posted by reefreak29
i had this red bubble algea in my tank tiil about 2 months after setting up my refugium. it went away on its own

Mine started growing in the fuge when I got one..... :hilarious

reefreak29

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Mine started growing in the fuge when I got one..... :hilarious
thats were u want it

jessica47421

wow i am so glade i looked at this post, i was just in the process of ordering red bubble algea to put in my tank. someone told me it was good to have it in there.

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by jessica47421
wow i am so glade i looked at this post, i was just in the process of ordering red bubble algea to put in my tank. someone told me it was good to have it in there.
Oh my!! Someone told you that it was good
to have it in your tank?? If so, honey, you can have it!
You do not want this in your tank. I am so frustrated with it that it's starting to make me re-think this whole hobby if I have to break my tank down, start over and it comes back again!

tx reef

thats were u want it
It is still covering every rock in my tank.....

L

lbaskball

I inspect every rock I buy very closely now for red bubbles. I got a rock with a little on it because I thought it looked cool.....

If you got this rock from your LFS, then I would buy it somewhere else next time.
You could get a rubbermaid container (wal mart for about $10). Transfer everything to that and keep a powerhead in it and lights of some sort over it.
You said you had corals...could your LFS hold them for about a month?
Find a store that has cured live rock and that way your cycle will be short.
Is there a difference between red bubble algae and green bubble algae? is it just the color difference? I heard its hard to control once its gets out of hand. I used to pick them without breaking/popping them because once they pop, your screwed.

L

lbaskball

Are these algae due to phosphate as well?Cant you control the phosphate?

xokarmaxo

I sent an e-mail to Wet Web Media and Bob Fenner answered. He said of the pictures that I sent him that it "does look like a Botryocladia infestation... of epic proportions". He said that there were a few options for me to consider taking before I tear down my set up and start all over again with new rock, sand, water, etc...
As for what causes this red bubble algae, he responded "Like crimes... access, motive...". I asked what would happen if I did "nothing" and let it be, and he responded "Might cause a collapse... cascade event if something becomes rate limiting...".
He suggested this: "Mmm, there are a few places I would read before settling on a course of trials, changes here... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
and: http://wetwebmedia.com/redalgcompfaqs.htm
and the linked files above, where you lead yourself... A multiple "front"
approach is advised... nutrient limitation, macrophyte competition... perhaps
adding a purposeful refugium, DSB... Bob Fenner"

Okay.... I read all of this and I don't know what to do. Should I try again with removing the rocks and getting all of the algae off and doing a total water change? Also, what is "macrophyte competition"? As for "nutrient limitation", do I just need to feed my fish less often?
:help:

reefreak29

Originally Posted by xokarmaxo
I sent an e-mail to Wet Web Media and Bob Fenner answered. He said of the pictures that I sent him that it "does look like a Botryocladia infestation... of epic proportions". He said that there were a few options for me to consider taking before I tear down my set up and start all over again with new rock, sand, water, etc...
As for what causes this red bubble algae, he responded "Like crimes... access, motive...". I asked what would happen if I did "nothing" and let it be, and he responded "Might cause a collapse... cascade event if something becomes rate limiting...".
He suggested this: "Mmm, there are a few places I would read before settling on a course of trials, changes here... http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php

Okay.... I read all of this and I don't know what to do. Should I try again with removing the rocks and getting all of the algae off and doing a total water change? Also, what is "macrophyte competition"? As for "nutrient limitation", do I just need to feed my fish less often?
like i stated before start a refugium

xokarmaxo

like i stated before start a refugium
How would I set up a refugium for a 14 gallon Biocube?
And also... I know this may be a stupid question, but how did it get rid of your bubble algae?

reefreak29

And also... I know this may be a stupid question, but how did it get rid of your bubble algae?

i set up a refugium

reefreak29

can u get a pic of your whole set up

azreefgirl

Go to the Nano tank board and type "refugium" into the "search this board" option. There are some threads where people have explained how to do set up a refugium in the back compartment of a biocube, and at least one person has posted pics of theirs (I just can't remember who it was!). If you can't find it, just start a thread on the nano board asking for info/pics of a refugium in a biocube.
Good luck!

reefreak29

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
Go to the Nano tank board and type "refugium" into the "search this board" option. There are some threads where people have explained how to do set up a refugium in the back compartment of a biocube, and at least one person has posted pics of theirs (I just can't remember who it was!). If you can't find it, just start a thread on the nano board asking for info/pics of a refugium in a biocube.
Good luck!
thats a very good suggestion

tx reef

I emailed him also about 4 months ago and he said the best sure way to rid myself of it without a lot of headache and wasted money, time, and energy was to start from scratch. Once the red bubble agae gets as bad as I have it and as bad as you have it, I feel it is the quickest, easiest way to solve the problem.

xokarmaxo

I emailed him also about 4 months ago and he said the best sure way to rid myself of it without a lot of headache and wasted money, time, and energy was to start from scratch. Once the red bubble agae gets as bad as I have it and as bad as you have it, I feel it is the quickest, easiest way to solve the problem.
I agree. I have forwarded the e-mail to my LFS to see if they have any suggestions before I just go and start all over. Thinking about just changing my tank over with the next biggest size Biocube and going from there. Any suggestions on making sure that it doesn't come back?? I will see about setting up a refugium in that one. Also, do you think maybe adding another small powerhead to help with the flow and surface aggitation might help any?
Did you ever find out what caused your red bubble algae?