Help!! Red bubble algae outta control!

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
Go to the Nano tank board and type "refugium" into the "search this board" option. There are some threads where people have explained how to do set up a refugium in the back compartment of a biocube, and at least one person has posted pics of theirs (I just can't remember who it was!). If you can't find it, just start a thread on the nano board asking for info/pics of a refugium in a biocube.
Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll go check it out!

L

lbaskball

i dont think you should restart.
just make some time to reduce nutrients, add refuigum, lower lighting hours, decrease air bubbles (if something is causing air bubbles) and try picking them everyweek , and add lots of emerald crabs. I think if you are consistant, after a couple of months of doing this, you should be able to get control of your algae and then finallly after a couple of months more, eliminate it.

tx reef

Originally Posted by lbaskball
i dont think you should restart.
just make some time to reduce nutrients, add refuigum, lower lighting hours, decrease air bubbles (if something is causing air bubbles) and try picking them everyweek , and add lots of emerald crabs. I think if you are consistant, after a couple of months of doing this, you should be able to get control of your algae and then finallly after a couple of months more, eliminate it.

Lighting has nothing to do with this stuff and emerald crabs will not touch it.

isistius

foxface foxface foxface!!!!!!!!!!
my sis in law had the same problem. i got her a foxface. cleaned the tank in 2 days. however, she neglected to feed it anything else so it died. and her bubble algae is back. to the foxface, the rba is like crack. they can't get enough, but make sure you feed them!!!!!

tx reef

Originally Posted by Isistius
foxface foxface foxface!!!!!!!!!!
my sis in law had the same problem. i got her a foxface. cleaned the tank in 2 days. however, she neglected to feed it anything else so it died. and her bubble algae is back. to the foxface, the rba is like crack. they can't get enough, but make sure you feed them!!!!!
His tank is only 14 gallons.
I know what you mean though. My foxface eats this stuff like it gets him high or something..... :hilarious

isistius

oops!! i guess i didn't read that it was a 14 gal tank. sorry about that. but they do work very well. you could get a really, really, really small one, then give him to someone with a larger tank. but the algae will most likely return.

xokarmaxo

Well, just a little update....
I don't know what happened between Saturday evening and today, but my red bubble algae is totally gone. :scared: The remains of the bubbles are still there, but they are totally colorless and all of them are either deflated or popped open.
I can easily remove them from my rocks and there are no remnants under them.
I wonder what happened? I didn't do anything to them. I just played the "wait and see" game with it. The only new things I added recently to my tank are some new corals that I got when I traded some of my other ones in for.
Wow... wonder if this means that they are gone for good??
So far, I don't see any traces.... *keeping fingers crossed*
I'll bring my camera with me to work tomorrow and take some pics to share.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Lighting has nothing to do with this stuff and emerald crabs will not touch it.
my emerald eats it, i had some red bubble algae, and after adding n emerald crab I found out they dont toutch it.... guess someone forgot to tell him that, because he has cleared my display tank of it. there wasnt much though nowhere near the levels of infestation you guys have. just one weird exception to the rule.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by xokarmaxo
I don't know what happened between Saturday evening and today, but my red bubble algae is totally gone. :scared: The remains of the bubbles are still there, but they are totally colorless and all of them are either deflated or popped open.
I wonder what happened? I didn't do anything to them. I just played the "wait and see" game with it. The only new things I added recently to my tank are some new corals that I got when I traded some of my other ones in for.

sounds like a dieoff for sexual reproduction. I dont know if bubble algae does that or not but caulerpa will. just a thought.
found an interesting article google search
"Bubble algae: selcted descriptions controlls and comments by Horge Cortez-Jorge Jr". its a pretty good read

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
sounds like a dieoff for sexual reproduction. I dont know if bubble algae does that or not but caulerpa will. just a thought.
:scared: So does that mean that it will come back with a vengeance????

tx reef

Originally Posted by xokarmaxo

Same thing happened to me....it was back just as bad within a month.....

xokarmaxo

Originally Posted by TX Reef
Same thing happened to me....it was back just as bad within a month.....
Oh Lord & Taylor! Don't tell me that....

Anything I can do now to try to prevent it?