HELP! Water evaporation

M

molodets

My water evaporates.
every 2 to 3 days I have to add water.
will it harm my tank?
got fish and corals.

monsinour

Everyone has water evaporation. During the warmer months, you will probably have more evaporation. I go through a gallon of RO water about every other day. If you dont want to keep adding the water, check into getting an ATO (automatic top off) unit.

meowzer

Are you using tap...or ro/di? (RO/DI IS BEST)
It is very normal to have to top off our tanks....JUST remember salt does not evaporate...so only add plain water W/O salt

nikesb

i have an auto top off unit that keeps my salinity stable. when your water evaporates, it only evaporates water and leaves everything else therefor increasing your salinity. this is why i suggested a tunze osmolator. probably my favorite thing i've added to date. it adds water when it senses the water level is too low.
its in the part of my sump that changes water level (usually the return section)
my tank loses over a gallon a day, and thats 50 gallons total, i would assume you're losing more than that a day. you should also only top off with ro/di water and not new saltwater.

btldreef

My 155G with 20G fuge and 35G sump goes through at least 5G of top off every week. Now that the warmer weather is coming, I'm sure it will be more, and this is with a chiller running on the tank.

sly

My water evaporates.
every 2 to 3 days I have to add water.

will it harm my tank?

got fish and corals.
It will not harm your tank unless it evaporates too much and you start to affect your salinity. If you have fans in your hood they can affect your evaporation. Consider putting them on timers... Auto top off systems work wonders. I built one myself by using a toilet float from Lowe's that sits in the sump. As the water drops, the float drops and fills the tank back up. It's hooked up to an RO/DI system.