HELP>>>>>>>white bugs

johnnyd

when i turned off my tank lights tonight (living room lights still on) hundreds of these little white bugs rasied from the sand and are swimming around my tank. the filter sucks them up and there so small the just get put back into the water. what could these be. the swim in circles and up and down. aout the size of a few pen dots.

rwlancaster

hard to say without pictures.
perhaps pods? if so, they are great to have. part of the cleanup crew. if they gross you out, find a miraculous way to catch them and send them my way!
kidding. you can buy fish and inverts to keep the population down if you are exploding. also, overfeeding makes them spread as well. they are beneficial.
i am actually trying to raise my population right now, with an arrow crab and 6 line, they have dwindled. on top of that, my sister bought my a mandarin for my bday, doesnt look good for their numbers now.
it is hard to tell without a pic, though i understand they are so small and you probably cant take pics. do a google for "copepods" or "amphipods" and see if thats what your looking at

johnnyd

Originally Posted by rwlancaster
http:///forum/post/2522986
hard to say without pictures.
perhaps pods? if so, they are great to have. part of the cleanup crew. if they gross you out, find a miraculous way to catch them and send them my way!
kidding. you can buy fish and inverts to keep the population down if you are exploding. also, overfeeding makes them spread as well. they are beneficial.
i am actually trying to raise my population right now, with an arrow crab and 6 line, they have dwindled. on top of that, my sister bought my a mandarin for my bday, doesnt look good for their numbers now.
it is hard to tell without a pic, though i understand they are so small and you probably cant take pics. do a google for "copepods" or "amphipods" and see if thats what your looking at

i have loads of pods everywhere but these looked like pods that were swimming? idk what there are, only happened when i turned the lights off

sk8shorty01

I would still venture to say they are copepods. I know that they swim in the little packages of copepods you can buy from the LFS (looks like a caprisun pouch). I think you are fine, I wouldnt worry to much.

rwlancaster

Originally Posted by johnnyd
http:///forum/post/2523009
i have loads of pods everywhere but these looked like pods that were swimming? idk what there are, only happened when i turned the lights off

don't quote me, but there are hundreds or thousands of different copepods and amphipods. i can't remember how many, tons though.

johnnyd

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
http:///forum/post/2523095
I would still venture to say they are copepods. I know that they swim in the little packages of copepods you can buy from the LFS (looks like a caprisun pouch). I think you are fine, I wouldnt worry to much.
ya the shrimp were eating them. i think its ok. ill post an updated and if anything bad happeneds. thanks for the help.