Help with a rebuild!

mr. limpid

I have done the same thing Seth did back in November cyno is under control just a little that is taken care of at water change time.

rlablan

Hi everybody!
My finger is doing great! 99% of the movement and bending is back. There is just the slightest bit of a bulge on the side of my finger... looks almost normal :) There is still a "scar" on top but I am hoping that it will be mostly undetectable.
As far as my tank... Le sigh. There is a lot of cyano and I fear that it has gone photosynthetic. There are bubbles on both the hair algea and the cyano. I have opted to dim the lighting back and also I am cutting the time of the lighting.
I bought some caulerpa at the LFS yesterday and a grow light. I have placed the stuff in the sump/fuge and I am setting up the light.
I hope this helps cut things back.
I have recently started blowing off the rocks multiple times a day. I am also gearing up to do a water change and a filter sock change. Skimmer is still going.
Found a gorgeous blonde naso yesterday and very nearly bought this show fish but I don't feel like trying to deal with that and everything else. I did, however, buy a small yellow cucumber for the NPS tank. He seems like a happy guy, feeding tons.
Other than that, I have just been doing some DIY. Redoing the kitchen cabinetry and it's taking FOREVER!!! But it is gonna look great. :) New kitchen table and china cabinet should be arriving in about 3 weeks.
How is everybody else?
Kiefers- I hope that you can get your tank under control!

novahobbies

Glad your finger is doing better, but suks about the cyano! Sorry to hear about that. You know the drill....a Water change while sucking out cyano, blowing down the rocks frequently, changing those filter pads, and running a dose of Chemiclean.
I'm convinced that the twice-weekly rock blowdowns are one of the few things that keep cyano down to a low roar in my tank. I have a couple spots that like to devlop from time to time. I just keep on top of them.
I'm glad your house renovations are coming along. Wife and I have come to a bit of a middle on ours. The next things we want to do have a significant dollar figure attached (new counter for the kitchen, new tub for the guest bath, and completely redo the master shower/toilet area) so we've taken a step back for a while.

rlablan

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/392624/help-with-a-rebuild/480#post_3520595
I'm glad your house renovations are coming along. Wife and I have come to a bit of a middle on ours. The next things we want to do have a significant dollar figure attached (new counter for the kitchen, new tub for the guest bath, and completely redo the master shower/toilet area) so we've taken a step back for a while.
Tell me about it.
We are at the point where it's more about NEED than want now. And the NEEDS are always the most expensive. Our flooring is becoming degraded more and more by the day! It's crazy how bad this stuff looks and how quickly it is going downhill.
The carpeted area will be easy to prepare for tile... the old tile is another story and it is covering nearly all areas :-(
Also, we will have to break down both tanks. I dunno what I am gonna do with everybody :( I am gonna beg an LFS to take the critters I guess...I doubt they will. Plus, That worries me. UGH.

rlablan

So I re re re replumbed the 60 NPS tank yesterday. That scrubber was going to drive me nuts! It already was, to tell the truth.
I picked up a phos ban reactor from two little fishes.
It was pretty easy to add and it was (luckily) not too bad to redo the plumbing in the 60. Now it's silent, won't splash itself out of water, it won't just randomly stop up the plumbing and make my display overflow... ugh. That scrubber was so great until it wasn't.
I can't see having any issues with this thing but it there are any, I am sure that I will discover them quickly.
Any one else have issues/experience with a phosban reactor?

rlablan

Cool.
So I don't have to worry about waking up to that "noise" that we all have heard... when the DT is cloudy with bubbles and the sump is gasping for water....
*shudder*
I have become too well acquainted with this noise since I built the algae scrubber.
"Quiet damned beast! You shall bother me not, for I have replaced you!" -Me

rlablan

So far, this little reactor is working like a charm.
It is taking my mind off of lots of things which is great because we are doing a lot of projects this week. But that kitchen is moving along really nicely. I'll post a before and a progress shot here for you all.
before
Backsplash is up and grouted. Butcher block has been installed. We are not trying to decide on some pain for above and to the right of the cabinets. I am at a loss. No more tan, no more brown. The hardware is all oil rubbed bronze with copper edges. We were thinking a very deli mustard yellow, with a faux (very very subtle) "smokey"/dusty "rub over it.... not sure.
I will wait to decide on paint until this is all done with.
See the "corner" here? How it's like a "pillar" type thing? well, if you are standing here looking at it, directly behind you is my living room where I have a wall of slate tile. I LOVE the look and the accent of the tile. Well, I decided to add slate to this corner pillar thing. The one thing I am a little weary of is that there is natural variation in slate... well the stuff in the living room is blue and grey with very little green and quite a bit of "red" oxide.
The stuff I have purchased for this area is from the same company but it's more green with a little bit of blue in it and a lot of small red-brown veins. It doesn't look weird. I actually like it but I just hope that the variation doesn't look strange to others. I will post a picture when we get a little more progress. Right now, we are only a little above the light switch.

rlablan

Thank you! I am hoping that by the end of summer, the kitchen will be 100% and hopefully with new flooring but I don't think the flooring will be done until next spring. I can't wait. :)

novahobbies

Sip flirts with everyone, it's just his way. His wife just laughs....she knows he's THE MAN and has the last word in the house. And Sip....what were those last words again???

rlablan

I leave you guys for on second... Lol
Hopefully gonna finish the wall tomorrow :) it's getting there and it looks awesome. :)
I told Cory what you said about me being handy Sip... Lol and Cory laughed and laughed. My projects drive him crazy but He knows he loves it. :) he'd be bored without me. Hehe pictures tomorrow.