Help with a rebuild!

rlablan

So I've had this tank for over a year now, 90% of the critters in it were transferred from the biggin' when I sold it a while back. ALL The live rock I've had since this hobby came into my life (4+ years give or take). I have 80lbs atleast in this tank... probably more. These rocks are huge. It's all the good stuff... And it was beautiful until Recently (4 months or so) I have had red slime, green slime and hair algae. 1st was the hair, then the cyano, the the green slime. I generally try to let these things sort themselves out, figured it was a bloom. The cyano smothered out most of the hair algae. Then the slime killed off most of the cyano. Now I bit and pieces of all 3 here and there... taking up most of the tank. I had wonderful acans and zoas growing in here... all gone now. I have barely anything left in here. The few things in here are actually doing fairly well. So here is the info
Equipment running when all of this first started:
- Current USA solana 60 gal DT reef ready with Sump and upgraded return (dk what it is... just bigger)
- LED lighting fixture. 24in EcoExotic strip lighting fixture (6 strip lights combos of blue and white) Also have supplemental blue stunner strips added to the fixture.
- Deltec skimmer (works well, leaks bubbles into the tank when I feed. Annoying.) I dk what skimmer it is costs around 300 bucks, got it free and it is the only one to fit my tiny sump. It's rectangular, and it's in sump, submersible.
- MP10 powerhead
- heater (for winter)
- I do run it with the full glass top. (no heat from lights, no jumpers)
- - - I do water changes every 2 isn weeks with Instant oceans reef crystals. Usually 20 gallons. I do emply the filter sock system that came with my tank. I have two. I wash them in the washing machine til they're new and white and I change those as needed... sometimes with the water change. Sometimes not. Water is at 1.024ish. I only use RO from my home, I have a meter on it. Change the filters in the unit when It gets around 80 or so... Can't afford to do it anymore than that.
- - - I should also mention that my 30 right next to it, is doing fantastic. Same salt, same water... all that.
~*~*~*~*~I have tried to change a few things since all of this... It's sort of worked I think but it's not going away. *~*~*~*~*~*~
I upped the flow to 2 brand new koralia 750GPH each, 1 older K 3 and a K 1 or 2 also something I had laying around. I figured upping the flow would help dramatically... not really... There is just more flow now. Put the MP 10 in the little guy across the room, Cardiff 30ish.
I have also been doing more scheduled water changes with an emphasis on manually removing the different algae and such, also stirring up the whole tank really good while suctioning from the DT. It's helped somewhat but I am seeing the same stuff coming back. Certain areas are staying clean... others not so much.
I tried to beef up the CUC with a few hermits, some various snails. I only added about 5 of each. Most of my old CUC has died off. I am hesitant to add anything new at this point, I fear it isn't helping or it'll just die. I Can't see a difference in the tank, honestly.
I have also been putting large amounts of Chemipure elite in here to try to soak up whatever is in there... massive amounts of Phos, maybe? I dk.
WHAT IS IN/ON THE TANK NOW:
everything from up there (except the MP10) and
2 Koralia 750ghp (1800 for both)
1 K 3
1 K 1
Chemipure elite and sometimes just chemipure

rlablan

This is where the thread comes in... I've scrubbed this rock with a toothbrush and then done water changes for months now... I've done all I can think of... I am not considering:
- re aquascaping...
- taking the critters out and putting in all new water, same live sand?
- maybe trying to put my fish in a foster home and starting the tank over??
something more drastic?
I forgot 2 things.
I don't have a current test kit, mine went bad so I am going to the LFS and I'll give you params later. I would assume there pretty okay. I have fish and coral living pretty well, eating well.
and also here is a list of coral left and LS:
1 small clown
1 starry blenny
1 yellow watchmen goby
1 randalls goby
2 talbot damsels (had 3, one died about 3 months ago)
1 fireshrimp
1 tongue coral
1 toadstool leather
2 neon fungia plates (the mini kind)
1 cluster (about 6 heads) orange crush acans (all that is left of my wonderful acan garden)
Lots of happy, growing, spreading zenia up on top of the tank
some type of blue scrolls acro or monti... (it's the common stuff... i dk) and a small chunk of my red monti that I found in my other tank and have no room.
All of these corals come out daily, polyps seem to extend. Can't help but think they could/would be a lot better...
So that's the tank...
Does anyone have any thoughts or advice before I rip apart my whole tank... And just stick with it is not an option. This thing looks awful. I also feel really bad for these fish. They don't deserve to live in these terrible environment.
ACTION MUST BE TAKEN!

Thanks all!!!

rlablan

Add to the stock list
1 Giant, lazy, bristle starfish.
Also, I'm gonna take some pictures for you all. Hopefully they'll turn out well.

rlablan

Here are some pictures for you all. 1st, the good tank. Just to prove that I have one successful tank.

rlablan

Now for the BAD tank.. I tried to get as many shots as I could to show whats in the tank and whats going on with it... how everything is placed and the current aquascaping.
right side with K750 towards the front
front view with K 3 on the right side, blowing across
left side w K750 and K 1or 2 to the front of tank

om/content/type/61/id/317913/">

rlablan

I'll be heading to the fish store soon. Hopefully someone besides me has something to say before then.

rlablan

I've decided to re do the tank. New sand. Totally new water. We'll see what that does.
The LFS test said the my
Phos are at .44
Nitrates are 40
I am not happy with the tank and how it looks anyhow so after some discussions, I've decided that a 100% water change, new sand bed and then some re aquascaping will help me feel better and hopefully it'll change somethings about the shape of the tank.
The LFS really wanted me to buy some PHOSban and they thought that would solve all of my problems. I have not had a lot of experience with Phosban but I feel like the few times i've used it... it's $$$ and it doesn't seem to have effected things much.
I think I would like to change things up in a natural way, before I adding a whole bunch of unnatural things.
I am more apt to add chemi clean before the phosban stuff. Chemi clean has worked for me in the past, where are phosban has not.
Since there is no one on this thread or seeming to be following it... I guess I have nothing but my own experience and opinion to go off of.

I have moved all of the remaining corals from the 60 to the 30, after dipping and scrubbing. I also did a short REVIVE dip on everything, so as to transfer as little as possible from one tank to another.
I will now set up a temporary home for my fish and a bit of rock in a large sterilite bin and I will have a koralia or two in here for some flow. They may be in here until tomorrow PM. (Hope not)

rlablan

So i've caught all of my fish at this point, except my randall's goby. He's a pretty big guy... 4 inches or so. I have black sand, and I have removed all of the rock.
Why can't I see this little bugger!!!
Did he bury himself in the sand?? I hope not because I am removing all of the sand....
Is there a way for me to get him out? (she asks, as if someone else were reading this thread besides herself.)
I guess I'll give him ten or so minutes and we'll see if he comes out... if not, I guess the shop vac is gonna get him...

rlablan

Because I know so many people are reading this, I figured I would update you all on my progress.
I vacuumed out all of the remaining water and old sand bed.
I then scrubbed the tank out with vinegar and water, hopefully killing off any old stuff that I could in order to "start the tank over" with a clean slate.
I then took off all of my clothes and danced around naked for a few hours... especially in front of the fish... They danced with me. (I know I can say this because I'm the only one here... I won't judge me.)
Once I dressed again, I proceeded to add the new sand and water... There is now 3 or so rocks that have already been scrubbed and replaced on the new sand bed. I have also placed all of the fish back in the tank. They seem fine. My starry blenny loves the lack of flow and the open space. I've never seen him free swim that much. He seems to be enjoying life. Everyone else is scared $h!tl3ss but I am sure by tomorrow, they're be right as rain.
Tomorrow, I will start the pleasant task of scrubbing off EVERY piece of rock that is going into my DT and then taking the rest to the LFS for credit... Might pick up a CUC member or two. The few I found today I placed in the 30 and they are scooting around pretty well.
All seems to be good for now.
So the 60 now has a a brand new live sand bed of White instead of the black sugar fine that I had before. Also, now there will be totally new aquascaping and maybe by next week, a few new critters.

kiefers

Hi there. sorry I missed this.
How often do you rinse off the chempure elite? Or replaced it?
How much and how do you feed your critters?
When was the last time you have changed your bulbs in the lights?
I would go and get a Zebra Snail ot two. These guys are HA exterminators!
Sounds like your getting some cyno. Siphon out with a turkey baster or siphon tubing and replace with new sand. If it is to much, I would, and have used, chemiclean to kill off the cyno.
Oh, and since you are looking for help here, change the title of the thread to phosphate help or something.

tonysearsjr

check your rock....when i swapped to 40 for 75 my wrasse was gone, i was irate lol, got to pulling rock out of the totes to put back in the display and he was in the tote just a swimmin, good luck on the rebuild

rlablan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiefers http:///t/392624/current-solana-60#post_3487757
Hi there. sorry I missed this.
How often do you rinse off the chempure elite? Or replaced it?
How much and how do you feed your critters?
When was the last time you have changed your bulbs in the lights?
I would go and get a Zebra Snail ot two. These guys are HA exterminators!
Sounds like your getting some cyno. Siphon out with a turkey baster or siphon tubing and replace with new sand. If it is to much, I would, and have used, chemiclean to kill off the cyno.
Oh, and since you are looking for help here, change the title of the thread to phosphate help or something.
Thanks god! Someone is out there. lol
I am kind of already past that point. I was waiting all afternoon for someone to say something but I couldn't wait anymore. I only had til 4 cause the LFS closes early ons sunday.
I was changing the chemipure with every water change or so... about two weeks.
I feed the tanks once a days. I feed 1 cube for both of my tanks that contains small amounts of the following: various micro foods, cyclopeez (sp?), pe mysis and mysis, a couple of green foods like seaweed that I chopped up and mashed in there, and lots of chunky garlic. The cubes are pretty small. And I feed both tanks around the same time, usually less in this tank because it has less fish. Sometimes, if there is extra food, I just tosh it out.
The lights are LED... so I figure I don't need to change those... The fixture is listed ^^
I had snails, I picked up a few here and there for the tank over the last few weeks. I found like 3 crabs and 3 snails yesterday while removing and cleaning. Found a ton of shells though. I HAD snails, they weren't doing anything.
Some cyano? hahaha understatement. It was a lot better but if someone saw my tank, you would think I was propagating it...
Thanks for the reply, guy... I have already scrapped the whole tank and started over though... I didn't know what else to do... It was way out of control.
That doesn't mean that I wouldn't appreciate help from here on out.

rlablan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonysearsjr http:///t/392624/current-solana-60#post_3487783
check your rock....when i swapped to 40 for 75 my wrasse was gone, i was irate lol, got to pulling rock out of the totes to put back in the display and he was in the tote just a swimmin, good luck on the rebuild
Thanks for the help! I did end up finding him... I knew he wasn't in the rock. But I checked it anyway...
As I was removing the last rock, I saw him. walked away with the rock and he was in the tank, plain as day. I come back and he has vanished. The tank is only 2x 2ft sandbed... and he's not really that hard to not see... I'm thinking he jumped.
I went over to the tank, looked FOREVER. I'm thinking im crazy.
Finally I think that he must have completely buried in the sand. I start to dredge my fingers in my sandbed which was pretty deep... I found him all right... He was all curled up in a neat round ball, about an inch under the sand. I have never seen or heard of this... But I guess I know now.

rlablan

So after all is said and done, I now have a pretty much empty tank, with a pretty new white sand bed. All the livestock spent the evening in the tank, doing their thing. All have claimed some territory and seems to be doing well. I have all of my old LR in a large bin with the OLD saltwater, a heater and powerhead. It's chillin for now.
I feel like I don't want to rush anything because I have this nearly empty setup, where I can do whatever I want and the fish are easy to catch at this point.
So Now I need some opinions. I would like to add some stock to this tank, maybe get rid of a few things that I have now... I dk.
I have
1 fire shrimp
1 small clown
1 yellow watchmen goby
1 randalls goby
1 starry blenny
2 talbot damsel
All of these fish are pretty small... The Randalls goby is by far the biggest and he's around 3 or 4 inches... Everyone else is 1 inch or under (clown is about an 1 1/2)
Can I add anything else without having to trade any of my current stock?
My boyfriend had a really nice rock beauty angel fish that we both loved. Had him for a looonng time and then I killed it by leaving the power heads off.

I am 100% sure that we will end up with a bigger tank in the near future (next 3 years or so). There is a very nice looking 2 inch rock beauty at the LFS and he voiced that he really missed his... (which is rare for him to speak up about saltwater anything)
I was also hoping to add some more small fish too... I like the idea of an open reef with small fish living and bustling about. I really would like the rock beauty to be the only big guy in there.
I was thinking fish like:
a yasha goby (?) BUT we are planning to try to run the tank rimless, so we'll see.
I LOVE clown gobys! I would like 1 in every color if I could
fire fish
pearly jaw fish
maybe a pistol shrimp for one of the gobies... ?
The tank has no corals in it at this point except a chunk of galaxia and some zenia. I would really like some help with scaping and planning of critters to put in here. I don't want to push the limit like crazy but I also know that has it rewards in most things you do. I feel like 10 very small fish is not too much, Is it?
Also- - - - - -
Lastnight, the BF gave the Deltec MC500 skimmer a once over. Took it apart, ran it through scalding water and vinegar... scrubbed off the impeller and also removed the sponge and I am cleaning it now. Hopefully, this will help in the lessening of microbubbles. That's been driving me crazy. I changed the filter sock last night and am cleaning the old one. I removed all old carbon/chemi pure products.
This tank really is like a brand new start so I want to do things right and make this set up amazing. I have all the right equpiment, I just need some help with esthetics and making some decisions!
Thanks!

rlablan

Does anyone have an opinion on building a false wall that would go up and around the center overflow with "shelve" like rock work, then maybe a few "islands" in the open sand bed out front?
I would probably want to build the wall so that it's a case or shell around the overflow... ?
Here is the tank as of right now.

kiefers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392624/help-with-a-rebuild#post_3487871
Does anyone have an opinion on building a false wall that would go up and around the center overflow with "shelve" like rock work, then maybe a few "islands" in the open sand bed out front?
I would probably want to build the wall so that it's a case or shell around the overflow... ?
Here is the tank as of right now.

you should talk to Gemmy, PM her, she is an ace when it comes to building these walls.
As a matter of fact....
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/387854/i-got-the-bug
This will keep you busy for awhile. Goodnight.

rlablan

Hahaha well I'm a speed reader. I glanced at a few points in there, looked over the pics. I've decided I'm trying it. I had a HD store credit about that was being useless...
I returned from HD about an hour after you sent me that link. I have now made my "skeleton" of the inside of my "wall"
I don't like the way that some of them look so fakey with the "squiggly" foam, so I won't be doing that.
I am prepping lots of rock rubble and I will be putting as much of that on this thing as possible and then for the "shelves", I will attach large pieces of rock and I will ad just 3 or 4 of those large PVC couplers for some caves. I don't want to go crazy with that but I like the idea of lots of hiding places, so that I can have a more open scape but still plenty of small fish with places to live. All of the rock I will be using is already coralined, so I am hoping that I can live with the look of the great stuff. Painting it looks terrible and fake. I don't want that, even while i'm waiting.
I am gonna go scrub some rock! BBOOOO!!!!!

But Ill be back, I'm sure with some type of something for ya :)
Thanks for the link!
When my BF asks what I'm doing, I'm blaming you.