Help with rodi

iidylii

so my brother gave me his rodi system and there is a crack in on of the canisters of course...I have tried jb weld epoxy...jb water weld putty...super glue gel and everytime it springs a leak...

Now the easy thing to do would be to buy a replacement canister but I tried a couple friends canisters...one from bulk reef supply and one unknown and naturally they both have different threads so I can't just go onto the site and get a replacement...

Are there obviously odd size threads that any of u guys have come across I'm just wondering how I'm gonna do this if I don't know who the manufacturer of this system is and I've been fighting with this for a week now...I'm so ready to go buy a brand new system but that seems rediculous all because of a $15 dollar canister!:mad::mad::mad:

Thanks guys :(

2quills

Suprise the super glue didn't hold. You might want to try gorilla glue or epoxy.

Lowes and home depot sell canisters. You may be able to take yours in to see if the threads match.

Do u have a pic of the unit?

iidylii

I tried jb weld clear weld with 3-4 layers drying 12 hours between reapplying...I did get it narrowed down to one spot spraying out rather then like 6...was a fairly long crack lol...I used the last 1/3 of the bottle on this one last spot so we will see what happens in a couple days after it cures...

I don't have a pic on hand but it's your basic 3 canisters on bottom and membrane on top...10" filters

bang guy

Are you applying the glue on the inside of the canister? If so and it's not working then I'm afraid you will need a new canister.

Gorilla glue really is good stuff.

iidylii

I'm putting it on the outside...I figured that would be less contact with the water and chemicals...and I would gladly buy a new canister if I could only find the right threads...like I said the 2 systems I have access to both have different threads or something...the canisters are exactly the same size they just won't screw on..but yeah i would gladly buy a new one...already spent more in glue so far lol

Also If I were to glue on the inside it would be in the threads

Last edited:

2quills

Once those adhesives cure they are essentially inert (harmless). I'd definitely seal the inside if it can bw done without effecting the threads. It should be your best chance at holding the pressure.

iidylii

I guess I'll try it...but yeah it runs around 75% of the top portion of the canister back and forth over the threads...What do I have to lose...I might ruin the canister? Soon enough mortars will be coming out lol

Like I said if I new the brand I would say hell with this and just get a new one:eek:

lmforbis

BRS sells a whole empty canister with cover for 26.99 (4 to 5 stage chloramine upgrade kit). You can just remove the whole canister from the old one and add in a new one.

iidylii

U know forbis...that is a great idea lol I wasn't even thinking about them coming with a tip already lol