Help with Skimmer

snowdancer

New to insump skiming my old one was a HOB skimmer . But got a new tank and sump now my question is i got Lots and lots of tiny mirco bubbles comeing out of my skimmer and geting back to main tank. it,s a ViaAquq sk388 the only adj i can do to skimmer is turn the air up or down on pump is no help .Or the tube for the discharge water up or down no change. any help on this would be nice or maybe a mod to the unit if that,s what it takes. thanks Mark

snowdancer

Thabks for the reply but the bubbles in the main tank wont hurt the fish?.it get so many i cant see to the back of tank.

mark

brucewrs

You dont want bubbles in your tank.Not good in the long term...Get a filter sock.It will help with the micro bubbles.

tx reef

Originally Posted by brucewrs
Get a filter sock.It will help with the micro bubbles.

Agreed. If the skimmer is putting out a lot of bubbles, try a filter sock. Also, can you adjust the out-flow of the skimmer?

snowdancer

I can only adujust the hight of the tube up or down but i still get the bubbles in the tank . I just dont get it .

brucewrs

Now thats alot of bubbles!!!!! Too much air getting into the skimmer?Is there a crack somewhere?Just throwing ideas out there....Filter sock will help..Are the bubbles coming out of the return?

snowdancer

No crack i can see and its a new skimmer was gave to me for a gift i just dont get it will keep playing with it

brucewrs

Get a 100 micron filter sock and have the skimmer drain into it.That should GREATLY reduce the bubbles..How is the skimmer working?Getting alot of junk in the cup?

snowdancer

well the skimmer is not working if i turn it up to skim all i get is a ton and i mean a ton of bubbles the direction say to open the air regulator to75 % and the discharge to 3/4 from bottom of cup have tryed it and still bubbles :help:

tx reef

Wow!!!
I have never seen a skimmer pump out that many bubbles into the sump.
You have got to be getting too much air somehow.

acrylic51

What is the make of the skimmer??? Have you tried playing with the depth of water the skimmer sits in??? Meaning you might want to make a little stand and see if moving the skimmer to a shallower water level will affect how the skimmer skims, and might affect your micro bubble shower.....

snowdancer

Originally Posted by acrylic51
What is the make of the skimmer??? Have you tried playing with the depth of water the skimmer sits in??? Meaning you might want to make a little stand and see if moving the skimmer to a shallower water level will affect how the skimmer skims, and might affect your micro bubble shower.....
HI. The skimmer is a ViaAqua SK388 . I know it,s cheep but was a gift so now i am playing with it and yes today i did try to adj the water lever for the skimmer. It says min 5.5 in max 9 in . I didnt go all way to 9 inchs but did try 8 still same thang. if i dont get it soon ill just get a mag 3 pump for my
Aqua C Remora and hang it on back of display tank

Mark

acrylic51

Trying going the opposite way with the water level.......There usually isn't anything that's virtual plug and play IMO....

snowdancer

will try. ill try anythang at this point lol man my old 45 gal was so easy all was Hob of tank i hate sumps. but it new to me so in a few weeks ill love em i hope.